Speculation: Griffins Kid Line

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Griffins are out after 2 rds. Noticed with great interest the following-I believe they played most of the time together after AA joined the team.

Name/GP/G/A/PTS/+-/PPG/SH.%

Mantha: 9/4/7/11/6/2/16%
Bertuzzi 9/7/1/8/7/1/35%
AA: 6/2/3/5/2/0/22%

Want to see all three on the big team next year.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Griffins are out after 2 rds. Noticed with great interest the following-I believe they played most of the time together after AA joined the team.

Name/GP/G/A/PTS/+-/PPG/SH.%

Mantha: 9/4/7/11/6/2/16%
Bertuzzi 9/7/1/8/7/1/35%
AA: 6/2/3/5/2/0/22%

Want to see all three on the big team next year.

3rd line for sure

Tats-Larkin-Sheahan
Nyquist-Z-Gator
Mantha-AA-Bert

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We're not gonna have a legit 2nd line then. We lack the center depth if Dats isn't back. We have enough top6 wingers but it really takes a good top6 center to make the second line. But we'll have 2 really good third lines.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bert looks like a playoff beast in the making, not sure he's ready to be a full-time NHLer though. I'd bring him up to the Wings during the season and (if we make it) as a bit of a wildcard for the playoffs.

AA and Mantha with the Wings from day 1 for sure.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Tats-Stammer-Radulov
Nyquist-Larkin-Abby
AA-Z-Mantha Two kids and an old Goat V2 or you can just convert old line 1 to line 3 and have a total kid line 2
Sheahan-Glenny-Jurco

Good news is, we traded Datsyuk's cap hit, traded Ericsson and Jimmy with no retention, and didn't sign any in house UFAs.

Edit for below: I agree I like lil Bert, but I don't see him on the opening day roster for the coming season.

Last edited:

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
No need to rush Bertuzzi. I think there's a possibility he becomes a legit full-timer with the Wings, but probably not next season.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bert looks like a playoff beast in the making, not sure he's ready to be a full-time NHLer though. I'd bring him up to the Wings during the season and (if we make it) as a bit of a wildcard for the playoffs.

AA and Mantha with the Wings from day 1 for sure.

This. I want to see Bert close to ppg next year before we even think about calling him up in the regular season (unless needed)

But when the playoffs come? Give him a shot. Especially if your down in a series

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Forwards

I can easily see the following forward lineup next year for any number of reasons(no Dats, Richards and Helm)

The various line combinations are almost mind numbing so I'll do this alphabetically.

AA/Abby/Bert/Frk/Glen/Jurco/Larkin/Mantha/Nyquist/Pulk/Shea/Tats/Zetts.

I do admit that if Bert is only getting 4-6 min/g (or worse-in the press box as 13th.), he is much better getting top 6 mins. in GR.

I have been a Wings fan for 58 yrs. and have lived through the highs and lows of this franchise including the Dead Thing era of the late 60's to the early 80's(if nothing else, the Wings have taught me both loyalty and patience as I waited 39 years before I saw the boys win in'97). I really don't think we will be Cup competitive for the next 3 yrs as we transition from the older core of Dats, Zetts and Kronwall to our future with the likes of Mrazek, Larkin, Mantha and AA. Throw forward prospects in like Turgeon and Svechnikov as well as D prospects like Russo, Saarijarvi and Hicketts plus this yrs. first and come 19/20 I think this team will be young, talented and Cup competitive.

P.S. Hicketts is not very tall(5'8") but still manages to weigh a solid 190(so far). There are not many 5'8" dmen in the NHL that I am aware of, but he reminds me quite a bit of Ryan Ellis of the Preds who also is not very big. Hicketts was a ppg player for his junior team in the WHL and was on the last 2 Team Canada Junior World Championship teams. If he doesn't make as a dman, I'd love to see what he can do as a forward.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can easily see the following forward lineup next year for any number of reasons(no Dats, Richards and Helm)

The various line combinations are almost mind numbing so I'll do this alphabetically.

I do admit that if Bert is only getting 4-6 min/g (or worse-in the press box as 13th.), he is much better getting top 6 mins. in GR.

I have been a Wings fan for 58 yrs. and have lived through the highs and lows of this franchise including the Dead Thing era of the late 60's to the early 80's(if nothing else, the Wings have taught me both loyalty and patience as I waited 39 years before I saw the boys win in'97). I really don't think we will be Cup competitive for the next 3 yrs as we transition from the older core of Dats, Zetts and Kronwall to our future with the likes of Mrazek, Larkin, Mantha and AA. Throw forward prospects in like Turgeon and Svechnikov as well as D prospects like Russo, Saarijarvi and Hicketts plus this yrs. first and come 19/20 I think this team will be young, talented and Cup competitive.

P.S. Hicketts is not very tall(5'8") but still manages to weigh a solid 190(so far). There are not many 5'8" dmen in the NHL that I am aware of, but he reminds me quite a bit of Ryan Ellis of the Preds who also is not very big. Hicketts was a ppg player for his junior team in the WHL and was on the last 2 Team Canada Junior World Championship teams. If he doesn't make as a dman, I'd love to see what he can do as a forward.

Hicketts is also not actually 5'8" according to most people and Ellis is a little bigger and was a lot better offensively in junior. Pretty sure he is the highest scoring CHL D-man ever or something ridiculous... I think he has more offense than him, but hopefully he can be Francis Bouillon in terms of he looks he can infact put on even more weight and be a tank 200 type guy.

But still that reach is going to be issue, his skating also is not Ryan Ellis good either. I will root for the kid, it would be an incredible story, I have no doubt that he will be great in the AHL or Europe from what I have seen out of him. I have pretty massive doubts still about the NHL.

I do think we can be very competitive soon again, but some of that requires trades and free agency. Also unearthing something a little more special in the draft. Hopefully we can find a way, but I don't see a basement dweller in this group either at least not real soon so that lets tank thing isn't going to probably work out either. Since you witnessed the dead things I am going to guess you are also very anti-tank.

It will be fascinating to see what they do. I don't think rushing Bert is the answer though. Certainly finding good developmental roles with some good ice time for AA and Mantha is very important. Larkin's baptism at center is going to happen next year too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Not only no Dats, Richards, Helm, but absolutely no trades or UFAs of any kind. And we still have 13 at least serviceable players. Our depth is stupid deep but we need more elite talent.

I've got a good feeling about AA next season.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
3rd line for sure

Tats-Larkin-Sheahan
Nyquist-Z-Gator
Mantha-AA-Bert

Well I guess if we want the number overall pick that's a good start.

What's the defense going to be?

Kronwall Ericsson
Dekeyser quincey
Smith green.

Sounds good! Number 1 overall pick!!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hicketts is also not actually 5'8" according to most people and Ellis is a little bigger and was a lot better offensively in junior. Pretty sure he is the highest scoring CHL D-man ever or something ridiculous... I think he has more offense than him, but hopefully he can be Francis Bouillon in terms of he looks he can infact put on even more weight and be a tank 200 type guy.

But still that reach is going to be issue, his skating also is not Ryan Ellis good either. I will root for the kid, it would be an incredible story, I have no doubt that he will be great in the AHL or Europe from what I have seen out of him. I have pretty massive doubts still about the NHL.

I do think we can be very competitive soon again, but some of that requires trades and free agency. Also unearthing something a little more special in the draft. Hopefully we can find a way, but I don't see a basement dweller in this group either at least not real soon so that lets tank thing isn't going to probably work out either. Since you witnessed the dead things I am going to guess you are also very anti-tank.

It will be fascinating to see what they do. I don't think rushing Bert is the answer though. Certainly finding good developmental roles with some good ice time for AA and Mantha is very important. Larkin's baptism at center is going to happen next year too.

I don't think people want to tank tank first overall. Unless there's an ekblad. But a 7-8 range pick

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think people want to tank tank first overall. Unless there's an ekblad. But a 7-8 range pick

Great so the sucker hole that has plagued Carolina and Calgary for several years... 7-8 is where the big drop off really occurs correct, might actually be a pick or two earlier in terms of productivity in the league. Not saying you cannot find a guy there, but unless you're lucky to be doing it in the right year you have pretty much close to the same role of the dice as the area we are drafting this year in terms of true star potential.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Great so the sucker hole that has plagued Carolina and Calgary for several years... 7-8 is where the big drop off really occurs correct, might actually be a pick or two earlier in terms of productivity in the league. Not saying you cannot find a guy there, but unless you're lucky to be doing it in the right year you have pretty much close to the same role of the dice as the area we are drafting this year in terms of true star potential.

Because of bad management they are still stuck around there.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
But it seems like the current plan relies on much the same thing: they're really hoping they can find a steal in the draft a la Zetterberg. Failing that, they'll trade the pick.

This scenario seems much the same, except the pick has a better chance of being a player, or the pick would at least have more trade value. It's true that Carolina has struggled in that position, but it's worth pointing out that virtually every team in the Wings' current position has failed as well. Any kind of rebuild is risky, but certainly trying to make the playoffs the entire time is far riskier. You might simultaneously fail at both.

If we're to believe the Wings management is competent enough to rebuild without ever missing the playoffs, surely they're competent enough to handle the 7-8 spot rut. Surely the former is the more difficult task.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well, I don't know about you, but I wish we had Monahan and Bennett. Future in Calgary looks awfully bright, just have to fix the situation in net. Which isn't hard to do, IMO.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Bert is going to be our Marchand. A pest with a ***** face that you want to punch, but also a skilled guy that shows up in big moments (the playoffs)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad