Gridlock at centre for Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Canada's top 3 lines always include 2 scoring lines and 1 checking line.You would think (based onlast year) that Canada's top 3 centers will be Carter, Richards and Crosby. Of those 3, it would make the most sense for Richards to be the checking line pivot. But wouldn't that mean that last year's top scoring line of

Dawes-Richards-Stewart

would have to be broken up? It looks like it if you ask me. I think that Stewart would be a great fit next to Crosby, as a massive bodyguard (who can also play) for the little guy. Any speedy sniper could complete the line.

Red Machine

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Centers

I think Richards will stay down the middle with his line (dawes and stewart), however you never know what Sutter might want to do. He may mix everything up entirely. I see either Crosby or Carter moving to the wing, but its more likely going to be Carter, I hear Crosby cant play wing? but please correct me if im wrong.

The lineup may look like this:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Carter-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Colliton-Perry/Ladd
Bolland-Stone-Dixon
Fraser

Not sure which of Ladd or Perry will make it, but both have shown chemistry with Getzlaf, I have a feeling that Sutter likes Ladd though, just from playing Calgary so much. But back to the topic, Richards will play center, toss up between Carter and Crosby, Colliton is a great faceoff man, and all three of Bolland, Stone, and Fraser can play center on the checking line. The logjam at centerice may not be as problematic as many might think. Looks like we have many that are capable of playing both wing and center.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bergeron better be at center. I just followed the Rats/Bruins game and he made Parise look horrible on draws, beating him a good amount of the time....if I remember correctly Parise was USA's best faceoff man last year. I actually feel Crosby will be moved to Bergerons wing.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
bergeron can pretty much play anywhere, and do it well. you can always use him on the wing, but have him take draws

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why does it have to be a formula. Every team is different with a different look. This team can easily role 4 lines that play good two way hockey or are just flat out dominant offensively. This is the lineup I would go with

Perry/Fehr Crosby Bergeron
Dawes Richards Stewart
Ladd/Fehr Carter Getzlaf
Bolland Stone Colliton

This is the lineup I would go with.

HalifaxHit

Dec 1, 2004
Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
paxtang said:
Hasn't Crosby been playing wing lately?
Yeah he has been, In the game in Halifax he played the wing a bit and I didn't think it worked out very well considering they put him on the side of the centers backhand. So every time they broke out they ended up giving the puck to Roussin.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
paxtang said:
Hasn't Crosby been playing wing lately?
Yes, and he is much less effective in that position than he is at center.He is best
when he is carrying the puck and creating the playmaking.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Crosby (was playing center last year)
Richards (was playing center last year)
Carter (was playing center last year)
Stone (newcomer)
Coliton (was playing wing last year so should stay there)

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
BuppY said:
Bergeron Crosby Carter
Dawes Richards Stewart
Fehr Stone Getzlaf
Bolland Colliton Dixon
I'm not sure how they could leave Perry off the team.Pick the best .Play the best.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Bergeron - Crosby - Perry
Dawes - Richards - Stewart
Stone - Carter - Fehr
Ladd - Getzlaf - Colliton
xtra: Dixon OR Bolland

Can role these lines with confidence. Best depth a center in the WJC's.
1st line has the top 2 scorers in the CHL with Bergeron.
2nd line has proven chemistry and, overall, is a very well rounded line.
3rd line has excellent size, the Fehr/Stone chemistry, top 2 scorers in Dub.
4th line has 2 returnees, defensive responsability, toughness & proven chemistry.

* The only player blatantly out of his natural position is Stone...but he shoots left and I'm sure would do fine on the wing, digging out pucks and setting up Fehr and Carter.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Masmin, I think that's probably the best line combinations I've seen, ofcourse it's
all objective but those make pretty good sense to me.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
espion said:
Canada's top 3 lines always include 2 scoring lines and 1 checking line.You would think (based onlast year) that Canada's top 3 centers will be Carter, Richards and Crosby. Of those 3, it would make the most sense for Richards to be the checking line pivot. But wouldn't that mean that last year's top scoring line of

Dawes-Richards-Stewart

would have to be broken up? It looks like it if you ask me. I think that Stewart would be a great fit next to Crosby, as a massive bodyguard (who can also play) for the little guy. Any speedy sniper could complete the line.

Crosby isn't really any smaller than Richards is from what I've seen. At least not significantly smaller.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
pei fan said:
I'm not sure how they could leave Perry off the team.Pick the best .Play the best.

Well his offensive skills aren't in question. However his consistency, determination, skating and physical game might be more of a question mark.

He didn't wow me in the summer camp, that's for sure. There's a chance that he won't be deemed polished enough to make this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad