Movies: Greyhound (Tom Hanks WWII - US Navy)

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I can see why it got released on line. Would have bombed in theatres

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can see why it got released on line. Would have bombed in theatres

I read that the budget was $50M and Apple paid $70M. That's $70M that they don't have to split with theaters, so it's equivalent to about a $115M gross in the theaters. His last movie, the critically acclaimed A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, grossed only $68M, so, yeah, I can see why they took the offer. A guaranteed $20M profit vs the slim chance of it grossing over $115M is kind of a no-brainer, especially considering that theater attendance won't be back to normal for a year or two.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I read that the budget was $50M and Apple paid $70M. That's $70M that they don't have to split with theaters, so it's equivalent to about a $115M gross in the theaters. His last movie, the critically acclaimed A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, grossed only $68M, so, yeah, I can see why they took the offer. A guaranteed $20M profit vs the slim chance of it grossing over $115M is kind of a no-brainer, especially considering that theater attendance won't be back to normal for a year or two.

Wasn't released globally either.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wasn't released globally either.

Ah, that helps explain the box office. Maybe that's not a good thing to compare to, since Greyhound would've been released internationally and had a lot more appeal... though, of course, the studios get much, much less of the international gross. Perhaps the point remains that Tom Hanks isn't quite the same sure bet to make a movie profitable that he used to be, so it may've still been safer to take Apple's money and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00