Gretzky's Playoff Stats

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
The point is, that if you are going to label Gretzky as a product of his teammates, you should give credit to the teammates of the players you are comparing him to as well.

Yes, but they aren't as great a quality as Gretzky's Oilers.

And this is before we consider adjusting the point totals.

What Malkin did a few years back with Crosby, that is comparable to Gretzky and when adjusted Malkin and Gretz are not too far off.

With Forsberg I don't think you can say Sakic, in large part because Forsberg played with Hejduk and Tanguay who are nowhere near Kurri level.

And Blake with Coffey compared offensively? Not too close either, if I'd have to peg it I'd say about 75% of Coffey's offensive output. Don't forget Blake had Robitaille though Lemieux and Gretz are above him of course.

Of hand I'd just say Lemieux 92, Forsberg 02 and Gilmour 93 is better than Gretzky due to better line-mates for Gretzky and higher scoring era.

Now I don't want to use Gretzky's 90 stats against him because he was older, but the big point productions are often coupled with very low goal scoring.

In 89 with the Kings, Wayne notches 22 points but only 5 goals.
In 91 he notches 15 points but only 4 goals.
In 96 he notches 16 points, only 2 goals.

Hi 93 season, I think he was a rat in the playoffs, growing up I've seen that Leafs run a lot of times and he was a little pip in the Conference Final with those hooks, but even still I'll give him major credit for that season.

But if you really wanna trump up Gretzky you use his 97 Rangers playoff run, now THAT was damn impressive.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Gretzky had 6 playoffs where he had at least as many assists as any of his teammates had points. Mario never managed that, and only led the Penguins in playoff assists 3 times.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Gretzky had 6 playoffs where he had at least as many assists as any of his teammates had points. Mario never managed that, and only led the Penguins in playoff assists 3 times.

That's the thing, assists. Gretzky's assist numbers have always been lopsided. I liked his goal scoring prowess more in his early years.

Mario's goal scoring in the playoffs:

16 (15 games)
12 (11 games)

Gretzky's goal scoring in the playoffs:

15 (24 games)
13 (19 games)
12 (19 games)

And Gretzky had more playoff seasons so he had more chances, not to mention more playoff seasons in the 80s.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Note Forsberg played 3 less games than Yzerman and did not score in Game 6 or 7 of the West Final so that 27 points came in just 18 games, astounding for his era.

The bolded part certainly doesn't help your argument, but for what is worth, Forsberg also played with 2 broken fingers for the final 3 games of that Avalanche-Red Wings series.

Forsberg's playoff season were great but they can't be compared to Gretzky's IMO. And it's also really hard to compare different era's like this, there's alot more competition/talent these days than it was 30 years ago. The teams is also alot more deeper today (a 4th line unit today would probably be a 2nd line unit at that time).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's the thing, assists. Gretzky's assist numbers have always been lopsided. I liked his goal scoring prowess more in his early years.

16 (15 games)
12 (11 games)

15 (24 games)
13 (19 games)
12 (19 games)

And Gretzky had more playoff seasons so he had more chances, not to mention more playoff seasons in the 80s.

the point of being an offensive forward is creating goals for your team, not scoring goals yourself. the second is merely a component of the first.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site

Player|GP|G|A|Pts
Gretzky 80-87|101|69|140|209
Gretzky 88-97|107|53|120|173
Mario 89-01|107|76|96|172

Mario played in the playoffs 8 times. If you only count Gretzky's last 8 playoff appearances (88-97), he scores 173 points in 107 games. That is 1 more point that Mario's career total in the same number of games. 6 of the playoff seasons match, with Gretzky playing in 88 and 90, and Mario playing in 94 and 01.

habsjunkie2*

The attempts to diminish Gretzky's accomplishments keep on rolling in.

He was the best player period, almost all of the time. Playoffs, regular season, internationally, you name it. He is simply the greatest ever.

Number one, considering career and peak it's not even close.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes, but they aren't as great a quality as Gretzky's Oilers.

And this is before we consider adjusting the point totals.

What Malkin did a few years back with Crosby, that is comparable to Gretzky and when adjusted Malkin and Gretz are not too far off.

With Forsberg I don't think you can say Sakic, in large part because Forsberg played with Hejduk and Tanguay who are nowhere near Kurri level.

And Blake with Coffey compared offensively? Not too close either, if I'd have to peg it I'd say about 75% of Coffey's offensive output. Don't forget Blake had Robitaille though Lemieux and Gretz are above him of course.

Of hand I'd just say Lemieux 92, Forsberg 02 and Gilmour 93 is better than Gretzky due to better line-mates for Gretzky and higher scoring era.

Now I don't want to use Gretzky's 90 stats against him because he was older, but the big point productions are often coupled with very low goal scoring.

Hi 93 season, I think he was a rat in the playoffs, growing up I've seen that Leafs run a lot of times and he was a little pip in the Conference Final with those hooks, but even still I'll give him major credit for that season.

But if you really wanna trump up Gretzky you use his 97 Rangers playoff run, now THAT was damn impressive.

Adjusted totals. What a farce.

The only objective way to compare players is vs. their peers. And vs. his peers, Gretzky abolishes every stat. You can't compare a guy who played with 80s technology, training and nutrition vs. a player with late 90s to now.

The only fair way to compare a player from previous era is his level of dominance vs. peers who had the same advantages and disadvantages as he.

If Gretzky were just edging guys out in the scoring race you might have an argument but he is in some cases doubling the #2 scorer. He is so far ahead of the pack that it's unreal.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

16 (15 games)
12 (11 games)

15 (24 games)
13 (19 games)
12 (19 games)

So you discard assists because they don't help your argument.

Apr 1, 2010
Just WOW.

Gretz is one of the top 4 of all time. If he is #1 or #4 is another debate, but to seriously be this disrespectful is shameful.

Infinite Vision*

Player|GP|G|A|Pts

Mario played in the playoffs 8 times. If you only count Gretzky's last 8 playoff appearances (88-97), he scores 173 points in 107 games. That is 1 more point that Mario's career total in the same number of games. 6 of the playoff seasons match, with Gretzky playing in 88 and 90, and Mario playing in 94 and 01.

Thanks for this. That pretty much sums it up. Gretzky in the playoffs > Lemieux. Do you have their +/- for these time periods as well?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Player|GP|G|A|Pts

You're seriously going with this like if you destroyed my argument?

All I see is Lemieux 76 goals to Gretzky's 53.

And unlike Gretz, Lemieux missed much of his prime, you pinning his 01 playoffs for instance is not a fair comparison.

If Lemieux for instance didn't retire twice and played in the mid 90s, with his team, he not only would have won a Smythe or two but put up more goals.

But in the end, Lemieux has 23 more goals than Gretz and Gretz only has one more point.

Goals are what matter.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
You're seriously going with this like if you destroyed my argument?

All I see is Lemieux 76 goals to Gretzky's 53.

And unlike Gretz, Lemieux missed much of his prime, you pinning his 01 playoffs for instance is not a fair comparison.

If Lemieux for instance didn't retire twice and played in the mid 90s, with his team, he not only would have won a Smythe or two but put up more goals.

But in the end, Lemieux has 23 more goals than Gretz and Gretz only has one more point.

Goals are what matter.

Except those were only Gretzky's LAST 8 playoff runs, and he still had 1 more point. You are ignoring the first part of that table, showing Gretzky's prime years when he actually played on a cup winning team (you know, like Lemieux did in his 2 years which are included on that table). Once you include Gretzky's extra 69 goals and 140 assists, 209 points, from his prime years, its not even close.

Gretzky's bad years on crappy teams when he was past his prime are the equal of Lemieux's entire playoff career. Ya, Lemieux had more goals, so I'd say his 8 years beat Gretzky's last 8, but still it's close. When you add Gretzky's first 8 though, Gretzky demolishes him.

Also, your stance on goals vs assists is really strange to me. You mention about Kurri and Coffee's post season success, and all the goals they score, but somehow want to ignore that the one setting them up for all those goals was Gretzky. There's a reason those 2 had such huge numbers playing with Wayne, and Wayne still managed things like 50 in 39 and 92 goals in a season playing without Kurri. That's not to discredit Kurri, who was an amazing player in his own right - certainly one of the best defensive forwards to score at an elite level like that - but if the Oilers were a Lambo, Gretzky would be the engine.

Gretzky holds 15 different playoff scoring records, including most career playoff goals, assists, points, points in a final series (for those claiming he had inflated totals against weak Jets teams), most game winning goals in the playoffs (tied with Brett Hull), and most three or more goal games. I know you won't care about his plethora of assist records in the playoffs, but most goals, game winning goals, and hat tricks (or better) are all significant goal scoring records. Even you should care about those.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Alright.

Lemieux 92 season beats Gretzky's by your standard.

He played only 15 games and won the Cup and Smythe.

And he didn't have a multitude of Hall of Famers that season. Jagr was young, Francis played on another line and....well Coffey wasn't around either.

Jagr was a sophomore, still good though. Stevens was in his prime. Francis was in his prime. Murphy was in his prime. Barrasso was in his prime. Tocchet was in his prime. Mullen and Trottier were older but still effective. The myth that Mario didn't have a great team around him is one that I don't understand. It is easily debunked though.

Just show me how any of Wayne's playoff seasons is better than Lemieux 92.

1985 and 1988 would be the comparables there.

The OP seems to think Gretzky is miles ahead of everyone, he is not.

You would be hard pressed to find a better playoff performer in NHL history. If you make a poll, I'll join in the thread for sure.

A glaring fact of this is how well Gretzky's teammates also did in the playoffs, Coffey for one was no slouch and played much of his career without Gretzky.

Well, do you think Kurri gets 19 goals and Coffey gets 37 points without Gretzky? Actually I can answer that. No, they don't - they didn't. They are lock cinch HHOFers but so what? This shows you how great Gretzky was, he elevated even great players to new heights.

Malkin did just fine in 2009. It was the best we might have seen since Sakic in 1996 perhaps. However, Gretzky had playoff years better than that and he had half a dozen times. Malkin was awful in 2010 and slowed down a lot in 2008 as the playoffs wore on. If you want to ever compare him to Gretzky he needs more of the 2009 playoffs, and even that might not be enough.

Lemieux in 1992 is the closest competitor to anything Gretzky did in the playoffs. Lemieux in 1991 and 1992 was amazing and very comparable to Gretzky's best years. But Gilmour and Forsberg in 1993 and 2002? Come on. These guys both lost games at home where they could have closed the series. Gilmour was fine in his Game 7, but compared to Gretzky in that game............no contest

By the way, he notched 22 points in 11 games in 1989. That included a 2 goal-three point effort in Game 7 vs. his old team Edmonton. In each of those above playoff years he only reached the 2nd round. You use the words "only 5 goals" as if it's a bad thing.

He had 40 points those playoffs including a hat trick against Toronto in Game 7. I'm a Leaf fan, and I won't even degrade him that year. I mean what more did the man have to do?

It was, but they got dominated in the semi final. It was a nice contribution but miles away from what he did in the past.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Except those were only Gretzky's LAST 8 playoff runs, and he still had 1 more point. You are ignoring the first part of that table, showing Gretzky's prime years when he actually played on a cup winning team (you know, like Lemieux did in his 2 years which are included on that table). Once you include Gretzky's extra 69 goals and 140 assists, 209 points, from his prime years, its not even close.

Gretzky's bad years on crappy teams when he was past his prime are the equal of Lemieux's entire playoff career. Ya, Lemieux had more goals, so I'd say his 8 years beat Gretzky's last 8, but still it's close. When you add Gretzky's first 8 though, Gretzky demolishes him.

Also, your stance on goals vs assists is really strange to me. You mention about Kurri and Coffee's post season success, and all the goals they score, but somehow want to ignore that the one setting them up for all those goals was Gretzky. There's a reason those 2 had such huge numbers playing with Wayne, and Wayne still managed things like 50 in 39 and 92 goals in a season playing without Kurri. That's not to discredit Kurri, who was an amazing player in his own right - certainly one of the best defensive forwards to score at an elite level like that - but if the Oilers were a Lambo, Gretzky would be the engine.

Gretzky holds 15 different playoff scoring records, including most career playoff goals, assists, points, points in a final series (for those claiming he had inflated totals against weak Jets teams), most game winning goals in the playoffs (tied with Brett Hull), and most three or more goal games. I know you won't care about his plethora of assist records in the playoffs, but most goals, game winning goals, and hat tricks (or better) are all significant goal scoring records. Even you should care about those.

And Lemieux still scored more goals, with a hampered prime than Gretzky's glory years from 80-87. In a higher scoring era, on a better team....what is so hard to comprehend?

And I mentioned Kurri and Coffey for their proximity to Gretzky and them being on his team which many NHL fans will say was arguably the most illustrious of all time in the expansion era.

I'm never going to say Kurri>Gretzky, or Coffey>Gretzky.

And the records are in the same boat, go look up some of the goalie records set in the 1920s, hoorah!

Infinite said:
So you're saying you don't care about assists at all?

They matter but not as much, the tiebreaker for the Art Ross is goals no? I think when it's close like that and one player has a good margin in goals, he's the better player.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
And Lemieux still scored more goals, with a hampered prime than Gretzky's glory years from 80-87. In a higher scoring era, on a better team....what is so hard to comprehend?

I think when it's close like that and one player has a good margin in goals, he's the better player.

Gretzky's prime years he only has 7 less goals, but in 6 less games. He also has an extra 44 assists and 39 more points in 6 less games. While you may be right that if its "close" it should go to the player with more goals, this isn't close. During Gretzky's best 8 years he had nearly 40 extra points while playing 6 less games. When you include Gretzky's 2nd half of his career, which is nearly the equal of Lemieux's entire career, Gretzky abosutely demolishes Lemieux. Its actually not even close, which is shocking to me, as I'd actually assumed they'd be a lot more even.

That's not to say that Lemieux's BEST post season run wasn't close - its pretty comparable. But he doesn't have the consistant playoff resume that Gretzky did. But Gretzky's 47 points in 18 games (2.61 PPG) is unreal, and will never be equalled. Say what you want about era, it's still an insane number of points. If we look at all time finishes for post season scoring, we find:
Gretzky, 47 points
Lemieux, 44 points
Gretzky, 43 points
Gretzky, 40 points
Gretzky, 38 points
Coffey, 37 points
Malkin, 36 points
Gretzky/Gilmour/Bossy 35 points
Gretzky/Lemieux/Leetch/Messier/Sakic 34 points

Gretzky has 4 of the top 5, and owns or shares 6 of the top 9 finishes of all time. He also led playoff scoring a record 6 times, shared with Howe. This last is perhaps the most important, because it ignores pure point totals, which change with eras, and compares him vs his peers. Both led their peers in playoff scoring more than anyone else ever.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Gretzky's prime years he only has 7 less goals, but in 6 less games. He also has an extra 44 assists and 39 more points in 6 less games. While you may be right that if its "close" it should go to the player with more goals, this isn't close. During Gretzky's best 8 years he had nearly 40 extra points while playing 6 less games. When you include Gretzky's 2nd half of his career, which is nearly the equal of Lemieux's entire career, Gretzky abosutely demolishes Lemieux. Its actually not even close, which is shocking to me, as I'd actually assumed they'd be a lot more even.

That's not to say that Lemieux's BEST post season run wasn't close - its pretty comparable. But he doesn't have the consistant playoff resume that Gretzky did. But Gretzky's 47 points in 18 games (2.61 PPG) is unreal, and will never be equalled. Say what you want about era, it's still an insane number of points. If we look at all time finishes for post season scoring, we find:
Gretzky, 47 points
Lemieux, 44 points
Gretzky, 43 points
Gretzky, 40 points
Gretzky, 38 points
Coffey, 37 points
Malkin, 36 points
Gretzky/Gilmour/Bossy 35 points
Gretzky/Lemieux/Leetch/Messier/Sakic 34 points

Gretzky has 4 of the top 5, and owns or shares 6 of the top 9 finishes of all time. He also led playoff scoring a record 6 times, shared with Howe. This last is perhaps the most important, because it ignores pure point totals, which change with eras, and compares him vs his peers. Both led their peers in playoff scoring more than anyone else ever.

1 point different and 23 less goals is not even close?

Or do you mean combined 1st and 2nd half career?

And of playoff seasons, Lemieux' 92 is better than Gretzky. I defy you to say different when considering era and linemates.

Someone mentioned +/-? Yes Gretzky is great at that but it's also inflated, look to see Coffey appear high on that list twice.

Leetch as a defense-man in 94, certainly ahead any of Gretz's seasons.

Same with Orr in 72.

If you want to compare peers.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Just show me how any of Wayne's playoff seasons is better than Lemieux 92.

I didn't come in to this thread to make a list of playoff seasons better than Gretzky's, but there are more than one, Lemieux's 92 season is better.

The OP seems to think Gretzky is miles ahead of everyone, he is not.

A glaring fact of this is how well Gretzky's teammates also did in the playoffs, Coffey for one was no slouch and played much of his career without Gretzky.

And I never said Messier played on the same line as Gretz for the guy who tried to use that argument for some odd reason. Gretz played with Kurri and Coffey, and no Murphy and Stevens weren't bums but they aren't Coffey and Kurri either. Or in the mid 80s high scoring era.

Who cares about raw stats and ppg? Sure Gretzky was in a high scoring era.. and Mario was as good in the Cup seasons as Gretzky in his Cup finals seasons.

But having watched Gretzky's career... Gretzky is by far the best playoff player I have ever seen. Gretzky was BETTER in the playoffs EVERY SEASON then he was in the regular season. He was straight up clutch... all the time. There was never a player more determined to win and that played better in the biggest games... and we are talking about probably the best and most dominant player EVER in the regular season and he brings it better in the Playoffs or the Canada Cup...

To me there is no debate at all. Gretzky is the Michael Jordan of hockey.... in the playoffs he was lights out the best. Witness his Rangers playoffs when he got back his goal scoring late in his career and went 3 rounds, or the 1993 playoffs when he was back to PEAK Gretzky and his performance in Game 7 vs the Leafs... and that was AFTER his peak....

1987 or 1988 playoff Gretzky was the best he ever was... I don't care about stats or whatever.. there was no way those teams were not going to win the Cup. Gretzky was so good DEFENSIVELY in those playoffs...

Seriously Forsberg at his best in the playoffs is not even in the discussion with Gretzky in the playoffs. It is like comparing apples to a Ferrari.... not even in the same category. Mario... yes.. but he did it twice.. Gretzky did it like 7 or 8 times at a comparable level.

Also underrated is Gretzky's leadership and determination and how it rubbed off on his teammates. I think ALL of the Oilers who won in 1990 and on the Rangers in 1994 W/O Gretzky learned to win FROM HIM... more than anyone else. More than Messier.... Gretzky had this air of confidence that rubbed off on everyone he played with in big games.... IMO of course. Mario got it rubbed off on him in the 1987 Canada Cup too.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
But having watched Gretzky's career... Gretzky is by far the best playoff player I have ever seen. Gretzky was BETTER in the playoffs EVERY SEASON then he was in the regular season.
Most seasons his playoff PPG was lower than his regular season mark, which of course is typical and is not a blot against him by itself. If you figure expected points for each playoff year based on his regular season scoring that year, you'd expect him to have put up 436.5 playoff points, and he actually had 382, a dropoff of 12.5%. Again, this is probably a very typical number, and might actually be a below average reduction in scoring rate.

But the hyperbole in your post is not necessary. Gretzky's career does not need exaggeration to establish its greatness. And this type of hyperbolic pumping up of 99 may be what creates those like 99wasnotthebest, who get tired of hearing how he was the greatest at everything all the time. You're even attributing the success of his former teammates to him when he no longer played with them. Come on, implying Lemieux won the Cup because he briefly played with Gretzky four years earlier? There's no need for that.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most seasons his playoff PPG was lower than his regular season mark, which of course is typical and is not a blot against him by itself. If you figure expected points for each playoff year based on his regular season scoring that year, you'd expect him to have put up 436.5 playoff points, and he actually had 382, a dropoff of 12.5%. Again, this is probably a very typical number, and might actually be a below average reduction in scoring rate.

But the hyperbole in your post is not necessary. Gretzky's career does not need exaggeration to establish its greatness. And this type of hyperbolic pumping up of 99 may be what creates those like 99wasnotthebest, who get tired of hearing how he was the greatest at everything all the time. You're even attributing the success of his former teammates to him when he no longer played with them. Come on, implying Lemieux won the Cup because he briefly played with Gretzky four years earlier? There's no need for that.

In his defense, Mario himself credits playing with Wayne on the 87 CC Team as when he learned what it took to be a winner, a big part of which was working hard and not just relying on his incredible natural talent.

EDIT: Definitely not saying he couldn't have won a Cup without that experience

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Like i said PPG is irrelevant... it is the PLAYOFFS. Did you watch Gretzky? It isn't hyperbole it is fact. You can play better and have less PPG.. PPG is useless. WINNING games and championships is what matters.

I didn't imply Mario won the Cup because he played with Gretzky in the 1987 Canada Cup... He did however probably learn how to win and be the best he could be.

Gretzky's biggest talent, along with his awesome awareness... was a determination and focus to always be his best. He never took night off. He was always determined to be the best player in the world and to win every game. He did this better than anyone. He totally reached his potential... and wow.. all his longtime Oiler teammates seemed to do the same.... Those Oilers learned how to not fear losing at all. To be confident they would always be able to pull it out. And that is a huge reason why so many of them were successes after Gretzky left. I think so. Disagree if you like but it is not hyperbole it is a well thought out opinion that is not just my own.

Infinite Vision*

Everyone's scoring pace usually drops in the playoffs, because overall scoring itself drops in the playoffs. He basically dominated his peers just as much in the playoffs as in the regular season, possibly slightly less? Which is to be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad