Gretzky's Playoff Stats

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I feel that not enough attention is given to Gretzky's unreal playoff performances throughout his career. Beyond his regular season accolades, he possesses some astonishing post season records.

One in particular that caught my attention was his 122 goals scored on 299 shots taken. That gives Gretzky a .40 shooting percentage in the playoffs.

He holds the record with 122 playoff goals, yet he ranks 59th in shots taken during the playoffs. His .59 goals per game average along with his 1.84 points per game average in the post season are also remarkable statistics.

Those are simply numbers that will never be matched.

RECsGuy*

Total career NHL points (Reg. + PO) leaders:

1 - Gretzky: 3,239 PTS - 1,695 GP - (1.91 PPG)
2 - Messier: 2,182 PTS - 1,992 GP - (1.10 PPG)
3 - Howe: 2,010 PTS - 1,924 GP - (1.04 PPG)

Unreal.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Gretzky's goal scoring in the playoffs is high, but not unreal.

Consider in several seasons he scored less than 10 times.

When looking at single playoff seasons in the modern era:

Neely scored 16 goals in 19 playoff games in 91.
Sakic scored 18 goals in 22 playoff games in 96.

And Jarri Kurri holds the all-time record with 19 goals in 18 games in 85. Yes he had Gretz passing him the puck but the point is Gretz himself didn't score a multitude of goals.

Though his scoring collectively is amazing you have to understand the context.

Forsberg's 99 and 02 playoff seasons are more impressive than any of Gretzky's.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How do you compare Forsberg's 99 and 02 playoff seasons against any of Gretzky's?

In 99 Forsberg's PPG avg. was 1.26. In 02 his PPG avg. during the playoffs was 1.35. Damn good playoff years, but I don't see how that compares to Gretzky's 38 points in 16 playoff games, a PPG avg. of 2.38. Or 47 points in 18 playoff games. Even at 32, Gretzky registered a 1.67 PPG avg. scoring 40 points in 24 games. There is no comparison.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

And Jarri Kurri holds the all-time record with 19 goals in 18 games in 85. Yes he had Gretz passing him the puck but the point is Gretz himself didn't score a multitude of goals.

Your username says it all right there. But honestly how can a guy who didn't even reach the final have had a better playoff year than a guy who racked 43 and 47 points in the postseason and won two Conn Smythes?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

wow, you really are taking that **** to your grave, aren't you? :laugh:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
How do you compare Forsberg's 99 and 02 playoff seasons against any of Gretzky's?

In 99 Forsberg's PPG avg. was 1.26. In 02 his PPG avg. during the playoffs was 1.35. Damn good playoff years, but I don't see how that compares to Gretzky's 38 points in 16 playoff games, a PPG avg. of 2.38. Or 47 points in 18 playoff games. Even at 32, Gretzky registered a 1.67 PPG avg. scoring 40 points in 24 games. There is no comparison.

Because despite not making the Finals, Forsberg lead the playoffs.

Context of era is key, how can someone like you be around so long on this forum and not acknowledge this?

In 85:

Gretzky registered 47 points
Coffey registered 37
Kurri registered 31
Savard registered 29 ( in 15 games on a far less stacked team )

In 99:

Forsberg 24
Modano 23
Nieuwendyk 21

Note Forsberg played 4 less games than the two below him and the ppg average in the playoffs was lower. Not to mention Forsberg didn't face the Kings and Jets ( who the Oil and Gretz made numbers off, specifically the Jets ).

In 02:

Forsberg 27
Yzerman 23
Fedorov 19
Roberts 19

Note Forsberg played 3 less games than Yzerman and did not score in Game 6 or 7 of the West Final so that 27 points came in just 18 games, astounding for his era.

I can see Gretz's 85 above Forsberg's 99 but never above his 02 season.

Don't forget the stars on those 85 Oilers now.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

In 1985, Gretzky scored 36 points (in just 13 games!) prior to the Stanley Cup finals. He outscored the next closest non-Oiler (Chicago's Denis Savard, with 29 points in 15 games) by 24% in total and 43% on a per-game basis.

I don't understand your position. Does Gretzky somehow hurt his legacy by extending his scoring dominance into the Stanley Cup finals?

Would it have been more impressive for him to get knocked out in the conference finals (losing the Cup, the Smythe and the single-season scoring record) simply to hang on to an obscure piece of trivia that Forsberg and Gilmour have?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
In 1985, Gretzky scored 36 points (in just 13 games!) prior to the Stanley Cup finals. He outscored the next closest non-Oiler (Chicago's Denis Savard, with 29 points in 15 games) by 24% in total and 43% on a per-game basis.

I don't understand your position. Does Gretzky somehow hurt his legacy by extending his scoring dominance into the Stanley Cup finals?

Would it have been more impressive for him to get knocked out in the conference finals (losing the Cup, the Smythe and the single-season scoring record) simply to hang on to an obscure piece of trivia that Forsberg and Gilmour have?

Alright.

Lemieux 92 season beats Gretzky's by your standard.

He played only 15 games and won the Cup and Smythe.

And he didn't have a multitude of Hall of Famers that season. Jagr was young, Francis played on another line and....well Coffey wasn't around either.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Context of era is key, how can someone like you be around so long on this forum and not acknowledge this?

In 85:

Coffey registered 37
Kurri registered 31

In 99:

Forsberg 24
Modano 23
Nieuwendyk 21

Note Forsberg played 4 less games than the two below him and the ppg average in the playoffs was lower. Not to mention Forsberg didn't face the Kings and Jets ( who the Oil and Gretz made numbers off, specifically the Jets ).

In 02:

Forsberg 27
Yzerman 23
Fedorov 19
Roberts 19

Note Forsberg played 3 less games than Yzerman and did not score in Game 6 or 7 of the West Final so that 27 points came in just 18 games, astounding for his era.

You say this like it helps your argument.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

In 85:

Coffey registered 37
Kurri registered 31

In 99:

Forsberg 24
Modano 23
Nieuwendyk 21

In 02:

Forsberg 27
Yzerman 23
Fedorov 19
Roberts 19

Yes because Sakic, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury and Blake were terrible. :sarcasm:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Alright.

Lemieux 92 season beats Gretzky's by your standard.

He played only 15 games and won the Cup and Smythe.

And he didn't have a multitude of Hall of Famers that season. Jagr was young, Francis played on another line and....well Coffey wasn't around either.

Yes because Stevens, Mullen, Tocchet, and Larry Murphy stunk right... Oh and also Messier played on the same line as Gretzky too right? :sarcasm:

tikkanen5rings*

Kurris's one timer was/is perhaps the most accurate shot the NHL has seen. Along with his two way play he was one hell of a player. He didn't mature well at all and it hurts his legacy but in his prime he was one hell of a player. I think he might have been a bit lazy with his off season training.

Infinite Vision*

I think that's going too far saying Forsberg's 99 and 02 seasons were better than any of Gretzky's. He has a point with Lemieux though. Remember, Gretzky and Lemieux have the same adjusted ppg average in the playoffs (although Gretzky played I think a slightly higher percentage of his games after his 30th birthday) and Forsberg is next. Without using adjusted stats 99wasnotthebest has shown you basically why Forsberg ranks as high as he does.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
99wasnotthebest has shown us that obvious bias is obvious, and nothing else that most people on this board aren't already extremely familiar with at this point (anyone participate in that Forsberg/Sakic summit, among others involving Yzerman as well?)

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
99wasnotthebest has shown us that obvious bias is obvious, and nothing else that most people on this board aren't already extremely familiar with at this point (anyone participate in that Forsberg/Sakic summit, among others involving Yzerman as well?)

Just show me how any of Wayne's playoff seasons is better than Lemieux 92.

I didn't come in to this thread to make a list of playoff seasons better than Gretzky's, but there are more than one, Lemieux's 92 season is better.

The OP seems to think Gretzky is miles ahead of everyone, he is not.

A glaring fact of this is how well Gretzky's teammates also did in the playoffs, Coffey for one was no slouch and played much of his career without Gretzky.

And I never said Messier played on the same line as Gretz for the guy who tried to use that argument for some odd reason. Gretz played with Kurri and Coffey, and no Murphy and Stevens weren't bums but they aren't Coffey and Kurri either. Or in the mid 80s high scoring era.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Just show me how any of Wayne's playoff seasons is better than Lemieux 92.

I didn't come in to this thread to make a list of playoff seasons better than Gretzky's, but there are more than one, Lemieux's 92 season is better.

The OP seems to think Gretzky is miles ahead of everyone, he is not.

A glaring fact of this is how well Gretzky's teammates also did in the playoffs, Coffey for one was no slouch and played much of his career without Gretzky.

And I never said Messier played on the same line as Gretz for the guy who tried to use that argument for some odd reason. Gretz played with Kurri and Coffey, and no Murphy and Stevens weren't bums but they aren't Coffey and Kurri either. Or in the mid 80s high scoring era.

The point is, that if you are going to label Gretzky as a product of his teammates, you should give credit to the teammates of the players you are comparing him to as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad