Gretzky's greatest play?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Completely subjective obviously, and there is a LOT to choose from, but for me, this takes the cake:

At 6:51.

It doesn't look so "great" or flashy at first.

For context:

It was Game 7 against the hated rival Flames in the 1984 Division Finals. This was the playoffs after the Oilers had lost to the Islanders in the Cup Final the year before. There was a lot of talk that the Oilers (and Gretzky) just weren't capable of winning on the biggest stage.

The Oilers had stormed out to a 2-0 lead in the game, only to watch the Flames come back and tie it 2-2. The Oilers went ahead 3-2, and really had dominated most of the game, but Andy Moog (in the first of many shaky playoff performances) and some iffy defensive coverages gave up the lead and the Flames were leading 4-3 halfway through the second period.

Nail biting time at Northlands. Would the offensive juggernaut Oilers once again be undone in the playoffs by a hard working, blue collar effort and subpar goaltending and defense?

Gretzky decided enough was enough and he worked his literal ass off on this goal. I'm not even sure how he managed to do what he did. He very sneakily gets body position on the defender, stick checks him, deflects the puck loose into the offensive zone. At this point he's barely still on his skates as he's fighting through the defender. He somehow maintains his balance two or three times, keeps the puck in the zone with two incredible stick moves, and THEN somehow sees Anderson open coming into the zone (while he's spinning around no less) and feeds him with a perfect backhand pass between two defenders. Anderson, the clutch playoff scorer he was, does the rest.

It all happens so fast you can't even process the number of things he did to setup that goal. But you see almost everything that made him a generational player. The sneaky stick work to strip the puck. The incredible agility and edge work to get him into the zone with the puck. The ridiculous balance and body control. The awesome anticipation and vision. The mental processing of the game and the fact that he knew what he needed to do 2-3 moves ahead of everyone else. And the hands, good lord the hands. Those who didn't watch Gretzky live sometimes think it is an exaggeration to say that he was near impossible to hit in his prime. This play shows just how difficult it was to hit him, even if he was moving nowhere near full speed and you had very little separation between him and the defender. And most of all he has complete and total command of the puck. He knows where it is at all times during this play, and you can make an argument he was mostly toying with the defenders here, which is ridiculous considering the situation.

On the replay you can actually see the Oilers bench stand up anticipating something good would happen as Gretzky works his magic just inside the blue line. Most hockey players in that situation are just looking to survive - saw off the puck battle, maybe chop the puck deep into the zone and go for a line change. Gretzky takes less than a second to realize what he needs to do to create a scoring chance and he does it with authority and confidence. Everything he does in this play looks so natural to him.

If you were a Flames player sitting on the bench thinking that you had a chance to actually win this game and this series, and you saw him just do that ... everybody in the arena knew it was only a matter of time once Anderson scored that goal.

That goal opened up the floodgates and the Oilers would go on to have a massive period. If Gretzky doesn't make that play, who knows what would have happened? If the Oilers lose that game and that series, does Glen Sather make significant changes to the roster? That was a critical play at a critical time against the team's strongest natural rival, and my candidate for his greatest play.

Last edited:

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
Every time this topic comes up, I think of the same play and hope someone can find video of it. I was still young when I saw this play so I don’t remember who he was playing against or any other details. It was shown on a tribute video right around his retirement, possibly even during pre-game or intermission of his final game.

All I remember is that Gretzky was in his office, with a lot of pressure. He’s looking for options but can’t find a good one so he ever-so-slickly flicks the puck over the goalie’s shoulder and makes a sweet little move to the side of the net, then bats the puck in perfectly right as it comes to shoulder level.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I might say the overtime goal vs. Calgary in Game 2 in 1988. This was as perfect as a shot as could be. Gretzky didn't have a heavy shot, but an accurate one where he had this ability to take a slap shot that could go top corner. This was one of those examples. Vernon doesn't even flinch on the shot, that's how accurate it was. It froze him.

Another one, this is the regular season but he's an old man at this time and this capped off a hat trick on a brilliant goal in 1997. Okay, it is against the Canucks and both defensemen and goalie are suckers for falling for this play but what I see is a guy basically luring a goalie and two defenseman completely out of the way so that he can do a wrap around backhand on an easy open net. And this was his final hat trick I believe. Start at 2:00

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
This play starting at around the 52 second mark:

This has it all. Gretzky slowing the entire Flyer team down to a halt, on what seems like a harmless 1 on 3...then doing the patented circle, only to fake them all out...then takes it off his own skate after another fake...and then what he does to Hextall while the rest of the Flyers are left with their mouths gaping on the ice....it's almost comical.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, that one was a move-and-a-half.

I’m partial to the backhand blind pass to Kurri. I do remember a particularly smooth looking wraparound as a Ranger that stuck with me.

Either that one, or the no look pass to Coffey. That latter play still mystifies me despite playing it 100 times on slow repeat. He really passes to nowhere and the pass looked easily interceptable, but he just fooled everyone, even Coffey who couldn't believe the puck was on his stick lol.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
This goal seems to have slipped under the radar, but it's an amazing goal, especially when you consider Gretzky was being shoved and pushed away from the net as he was blindly shooting the puck while facing the opposite direction!

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
At the 5:05 mark:

Gretzky here in his office in the 1991 Canada Cup, completely toying with Sweden. I have never seen something like this before...both teams on the ice, the entire crowd at Maple Leaf Gardens -- an entire country watching at home or in sports bars on TV -- being totally mystified by one man acting as puppeteer on a hockey rink. He would've been back there for 2 minutes had Ulf Samuelson not dislodged the net (for which he was called for a delay of game penalty). What other option did Ulf have? He knew the inevitable was about to happen.....

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So I only recall post Edmonton Gretzky. By this time, I think the torch was just about passed, but I recall his baseball swing goal. I think of him as a ranger wrapping around a goal against Vancouver which looked like a funny commercial.

In general, I dont think of Wayne's greatest play though. His magic was how on so many shifts, he would make you think how in the world he saw what was coming.

One of the most beautiful things in hockey was seeing Wayne pass it to nowhere, only to see it turn into a scoring chance. His ability to spot the 2nd wave of attackers and set them up was amazing to watch.

Reactions: insomniac

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I might say the overtime goal vs. Calgary in Game 2 in 1988. This was as perfect as a shot as could be. Gretzky didn't have a heavy shot, but an accurate one where he had this ability to take a slap shot that could go top corner. This was one of those examples. Vernon doesn't even flinch on the shot, that's how accurate it was. It froze him.

Another one, this is the regular season but he's an old man at this time and this capped off a hat trick on a brilliant goal in 1997. Okay, it is against the Canucks and both defensemen and goalie are suckers for falling for this play but what I see is a guy basically luring a goalie and two defenseman completely out of the way so that he can do a wrap around backhand on an easy open net. And this was his final hat trick I believe. Start at 2:00

I think he had one of the best slap shots in the history of the game. Pinpoint accurate, he could pick all four corners like nothing.

At 9:20 he somehow spins around off balance and fires a perfect shot top corner blocker side.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
At the 26:25 mark:

While killing a penalty, Gretzky takes the puck into the Swedish zone, circles back and takes the puck all the way back to his own end and waits behind his own net for a Swedish forechecker (who of course is still on the Swedish power play) to come check him. Still behind his own net, he bounces the puck off the back of the net, back to himself, losing the Swedish player and passes it to a teammate. John Davidson remarks, "Did you see that? Was that something to watch? 99% of the people playing hockey wouldn't even think of trying that because it's just too scary..."

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This play starting at around the 52 second mark:

This has it all. Gretzky slowing the entire Flyer team down to a halt, on what seems like a harmless 1 on 3...then doing the patented circle, only to fake them all out...then takes it off his own skate after another fake...and then what he does to Hextall while the rest of the Flyers are left with their mouths gaping on the ice....it's almost comical.

yeah, I don't know if this is his "greatest" play, but I've always thought this play was the most quintessential Gretzky play you can see. The way he carries the puck over the blue line, slows the pace down to his own, makes a simple but unpredictable play that springs a teammates wide open, and then (after recovering a poor pass from Gregg to get the puck back) completes a wraparound to score. But it's all about how the controls the pace.

Another quintessential play he made, later that same season, in the playoffs against the same team, was in overtime of game 2 of the Finals. Charlie Huddy hits Wayne at center ice, and he essentially is 1 against 3 (or maybe 4). Seconds later, the puck's in the net, game over:

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
yeah, I don't know if this is his "greatest" play, but I've always thought this play was the most quintessential Gretzky play you can see. The way he carries the puck over the blue line, slows the pace down to his own, makes a simple but unpredictable play that springs a teammates wide open, and then (after recovering a poor pass from Gregg to get the puck back) completes a wraparound to score. But it's all about how the controls the pace.

Another quintessential play he made, later that same season, in the playoffs against the same team, was in overtime of game 2 of the Finals. Charlie Huddy hits Wayne at center ice, and he essentially is 1 against 3 (or maybe 4). Seconds later, the puck's in the net, game over:

Beautiful hesitation inside the blue line to throw off the defenseman. And that's all it took. Gretzky knew where Coffey was, as he always did... Hextall once said, when you see Gretzky come down the wing, you never looked at Gretzky. You were looking at everyone else to spot the player only he could see.

On another note, do you happen to know where I can find a clip of Gretzky scoring off the back of Mike Liut from behind the net? I believe he scored 2 goals off the face-off in the same game as well. That game has become the stuff of folklore. Also would love to see this pass in real time if you know where to find it:

At the 55:45 mark:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The most impressive thing about that play is that he looks gassed at the beginning of the clip. But probably the most underrated "skill" of his generational skillset was his boundless stamina and endurance. He had such a ridiculous ability to play at max output for short bursts, recover extremely quickly, and play at max output again for another burst.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Wayne knows what his greatest play was......

5cd81f5521000059007cf6c7.jpeg

"Atta boy - Wayne!!"

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
At the 26:25 mark:

While killing a penalty, Gretzky takes the puck into the Swedish zone, circles back and takes the puck all the way back to his own end and waits behind his own net for a Swedish forechecker (who of course is still on the Swedish power play) to come check him. Still behind his own net, he bounces the puck off the back of the net, back to himself, losing the Swedish player and passes it to a teammate. John Davidson remarks, "Did you see that? Was that something to watch? 99% of the people playing hockey wouldn't even think of trying that because it's just too scary..."

This may be a minority opinion, but I have always felt Gretzky was every bit as good in the 1991 Canada Cup as he was in 1987. He didn't have Lemieux to finish the plays off in 1991 but he was able to control the pace of the game as well as he ever did. Still was all over the ice, as you can see in this play, back then. This is probably the last time we see Gretzky as the Gretzky we know. The Suter hit happens in this tournament and he loses a notch after that.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
This may be a minority opinion, but I have always felt Gretzky was every bit as good in the 1991 Canada Cup as he was in 1987. He didn't have Lemieux to finish the plays off in 1991 but he was able to control the pace of the game as well as he ever did. Still was all over the ice, as you can see in this play, back then. This is probably the last time we see Gretzky as the Gretzky we know. The Suter hit happens in this tournament and he loses a notch after that.
Yes, I completely agree. Watching these old videos of the 1991 Canada Cup is always bitter sweet for me, as it's great to see the pre-Suter hit Gretzky, the Gretzky we all remember controlling the game as we see here. But it's also a bit sad to watch, knowing this was the last time we would ever see this version of Gretzky, and knowing the inevitable is about to happen at the end of the tournament. I feel fortunate to have watched this tournament in 1991, as I now realize I was able to watch Gretzky at his best as it happened. I think he was as good as Oilers Gretzky here. He just lacked a superstar winger (a la Kurri or Lemieux as he had in 1987 as you say). Had he not been injured and played the final game, he would have finished with at least 14 or 15 points in the tournament (he led the tournament with 12 in 7 games anyway), and I'm sure would have been named tournament MVP once again.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
My personal pick:

I pick this one because its the icebreaker, its a cup clinching game against the only team that I think ever gave the Oilers nightmares. As Bob Cole says at the start, it still could have been a situation where a loss could have been the start of a slide that would lose them the series. Its the biggest game of his career, so naturally Gretzky scores the first two.

It demonstrates Gretzkys ability to go from 0-100 in the blink of an eye and that unusual style on breakaways that allowed him to completely shield the puck, change the angle, and get a quick read on the goaltender. Its also an impossible angle with very little room to get it upstairs, and no time for a second move. But he roofs it anyways.

ALSO Also

Watch where the Isles defence is when Gretzky takes the pass. They have 3 men back, but Gretzky had that uncanny ability to tell when he could charge ahead into a gap and get a breakaway instead of a 1 on 2 with the defence. They all seem to have eased forward slightly, maybe in anticipation of getting control of the puck in the Edmonton zone and Gretzky burns them for it

You gotta love that game effort by Nystrom to catch him though

Last edited:

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Pro tip: If you want to link a youtube video that starts at a particular time, jump to that time, pause the video, then hit the share button. Click on the button that says Start at <Time in the Video>. Then copy the share link

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Also interesting to note the awful giveaway by Trottier on the second goal:

If hed just gotten it deep he has both wingers at the line ready to chase it. But instead he tries to turnstile the Edmonton defence with 4 men back

Simple stuff like that where the 84 Isles seem to be making basic mistakes I cant imagine them making at the height of the dynasty, seems to indicate how tired they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad