Gretzky's 51 Streak - Anniversary

STAZE

May 22, 2006
Edmonton
www.nhltopshelf.com
Last night marked the anniversary of the last day of Gretzky's historical and remarkable 51 consecutive point streak. No doubt one of the greatest streaks in all of sports and definitely the most impressive when it comes to the NHL. Gretzky holds the NHL record for longest consecutive point streak at 51 games. I remember the game in the old LA Forum where the streak was finally broken by Markus Mattsson, all good things must come to an end. What impressed me the most about the streak was not that it lasted 51 games but by how many points Gretzky accumulated during those 51 games. 51 gp - 61 goals - 92 assists - 153 points a 3 points-per-game average. Gretzky would end up the 1983/84 season with an amazing 87 goals and 118 assist for 205 points. Not his best campaign, in fact he had 3 better, but nonetheless an extremely impressive campaign.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Adding to the remarkable achievement of that streak is that he played the last 10 games or so of it with a messed up back that was killing him... after the streak was broken I believe he missed the next 8 games or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->