Gretzky vs Ovi/Crosby

Gretzky vs Ovi/Crosby

• Total voters

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Thats's awesome unfortunately Gretzky annihilated Jagr's numbers when both were in prime. Pretty sure no one has ever said Jagr was better then Gretzky. However you can be the first if you want everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Jagr never played in the 80s so the comparison can't really be made. Gretzky is better then jagr but bossy was his competition . Jagr is definitely better then bossy no doubt about it

Reactions: Dingo and authentic

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Thats's awesome unfortunately Gretzky annihilated Jagr's numbers when both were in prime. Pretty sure no one has ever said Jagr was better then Gretzky. However you can be the first if you want everyone is entitled to an opinion.
So by asking "where was Jagr in 1996-98 when Gretzky was 36 years old" you meant "where was Jagr in Gretzky's prime"? If so, Jagr was a little boy in Czechoslovakia.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM88RU and Dingo

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
So by asking where was Jagr in 1996-98 when Gretzky was 36 years old you meant where was Jagr when Gretzky was in prime? If so, Jagr was a little boy in Czechoslovakia.
You cherry picked Jagr's prime and if you look at just a few seasons before that when Jagr put up 99 points in 93-94 Gretzky put up 130. Oh just so you know that was his 13th highest point total for a season. Jagr beat 130 once with 149 in 95-96 and your comparing the two?

Reactions: WalterLundy

Randyne

May 20, 2012
You cherry picked Jagr's prime and if you look at just a few seasons before that when Jagr put up 99 points in 93-94 Gretzky put up 130. Oh just so you know that was his 13th highest point total for a season. Jagr beat 130 once with 149 in 95-96 and your comparing the two?
I've picked nothing. 1996-98 span was literally your quote:
At 36 years old in 96/97 he put up 97 points and 90 the next season at 37 were your 90's stars around then?

Reactions: Dingo

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I've picked nothing. 1996-98 span was literally your quote:
At 36 years old in 96/97 he put up 97 points and 90 the next season at 37 were your 90's stars around then?
My mistake I picked that year because someone said Gretzky had no competition until the 90's stars showed up. I was being sarcastic to them.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Assuming Gretzky doesn't have to be on the ice alone, I'll pick him. The other guys on the team are still going to be good NHLers, right? Like Kurri and Anderson and Messier? Then it's a simple answer. The difference between Ovechkin and an average top line NHLer isn't big enough to justify Crosby over Gretzky.

If it's Gretzky + 19 scrubs vs Crosby/Ovie + 18 scrubs (or 8-year-olds), then it gets tactical because you can split Sid & Ovie and they can run up the score while Gretzky sits on the bench. Though prime Gretzky can probably play 40 minutes if need be.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
There’s no guarantee Gretzky would be as good as Crosby or Ovechkin in today’s hockey, all we know is today’s hockey is significantly more difficult.

I think there is a VERY high likelihood that Gretzky would be as good in today's hockey if he grew up with the same training and equipment that today's players have. This is why I don't like comparing players from different eras, too many variables that need to be considered.

Reactions: waitin425

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I think there is a VERY high likelihood that Gretzky would be as good in today's hockey if he grew up with the same training and equipment that today's players have. This is why I don't like comparing players from different eras, too many variables that need to be considered.
You still never explained what the Brodin effect is, we can take guesses but I would love to hear it from your own words

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Ovi and Crosby, this isn't even close.

Lemieux has basically the same ppg, the same best season and yet Gretzky is the only talent like that in the world? Lemieux disproves this. If Gretzky on his own was that good, he would've won with LA, he didn't.

He played with five OTHER hall of famers, Crosby had Malkin who is a lock and maybe one of MAF/Letang. Chicago had 2, maybe 3 hall of famers when they won 3 cups. Gretzky's "lone dominance" is overstated, he could not on his own will a team to a cup.

Reactions: Dingo

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I love Gretz but the Oilers literally won a Cup after they traded him. People are acting like he single handedly won you Cups and that wasn't the case. He didn't win a single Cup after he left.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Wayne Gretzky is easily the greatest player of all time IMO, but he isn't worth twice as much as Crosby or Ovechkin, nor is he close to that.
Agreed....but the question isn't 100% fair either. The question of taking Grezky or Cosby+Ovechkin assuming all other teammates are the same doesn't work, all other teammates couldn't be the same as Crosby and Ovechkin's team would have an extra guy, so you need to consider someone else with Gretzky that the other team doesn't have. So it would have to be Gretzky + ? vs. Crosby + Ovechkin.

Reactions: Hippasus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Agreed....but the question isn't 100% fair either. The question of taking Grezky or Cosby+Ovechkin assuming all other teammates are the same doesn't work, all other teammates couldn't be the same as Crosby and Ovechkin's team would have an extra guy, so you need to consider someone else with Gretzky that the other team doesn't have. So it would have to be Gretzky + ? vs. Crosby + Ovechkin.

Why not assume the Crosby/Ovechkin team is healthy scratching its worst player whereas the Gretzky team has to give that player a jersey?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Why not assume the Crosby/Ovechkin team is healthy scratching its worst player whereas the Gretzky team has to give that player a jersey?
Right....same concept though....I'd just add numbers...let's say Gretzky is 10 and both Crosby and Ovechkin are 8.....so Gretzky is better than both individually, but 10 is less than 16.....the question is whether that other player with Gretzky is greater than/worse than or equal to 6.

DISCLAIMER.....not trying to be realistic with the numbers as some sort of rating.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Right....same concept though....I'd just add numbers...let's say Gretzky is 10 and both Crosby and Ovechkin are 8.....so Gretzky is better than both individually, but 10 is less than 16.....the question is whether that other player with Gretzky is greater than/worse than or equal to 6.

DISCLAIMER.....not trying to be realistic with the numbers as some sort of rating.

Yeah I think I get it.

But the guy who is getting benched on the Crosby/Ovechkin team, and playing time or at least a roster spot on gameday for the Gretzky team is likely the worst forward on the team. He's probably a 1 or a 2.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Went with the duo

Greatest goal scorer ever with a top 5 player ever is simply too much to pass on that

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I love Gretz but the Oilers literally won a Cup after they traded him. People are acting like he single handedly won you Cups and that wasn't the case. He didn't win a single Cup after he left.

After they traded him and received a 50goal 100 point center back in return you mean? It wasn't like they lost Gretzky and didn't add back.

The Oilers were still stacked and wait a second.. who did the Oilers lose to in the playoffs the year after the trade again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->