Gretzky vs Ovi/Crosby

Gretzky vs Ovi/Crosby

• Total voters

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Ok, so in another thread we are accepting that OV is likely the greatest goal scorer of all time based on era adjusted stats. I would agree with this.
Consequently,we cannot ignore that era adjusted stats also tell us that Gretzky would absolutely dominate the league now by a clear margin. There is no doubt and era adjusted stats back this up.
There is no one in the NHL currently who’s hockey IQ, awareness and strategical decision making skills even approach Gretzky.
This is truly an embarrassing debate to even participate in.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If the Oilers had traded Gretzky at any point for prime Ovy + Crosby they’d average 8 goals a game

illpucks

May 26, 2011
So this should confirm what I was saying in best player poll#3. That people are voting Malkin simply to troll Ovechkin. Look at it this way. if Malkin and Ovi are similar level ( which they are not) then Pens already have Crosby/Ovy together because they have Crosby/Malkin together.

Crosby/Malkin or Gretzky the answer is 99 easily. I don't get the lopsided result here.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There’s no guarantee Gretzky would be as good as Crosby or Ovechkin in today’s hockey, all we know is today’s hockey is significantly more difficult.
I love when people think 20 years ago was some era of hockey where players played with flat blade sticks against goalies with no masks and games were broadcasted in black and white with no sound.

Even on the downside of his career, Gretzky was dominant in the 90s against guys like Jagr who just had a 66 point season 2 years ago at 44 years old.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I love when people think 20 years ago was some era of hockey where players played with flat blade sticks against goalies with no masks and games were broadcasted in black and white with no sound.

Even on the downside of his career, Gretzky was dominant in the 90s against guys like Jagr who just had a 66 point season 2 years ago at 44 years old.

Agreed. Gretzky was his best during an era where scoring was up, leading to ridiculous point totals. However, many forget that he also played well in his final season in 1998-99 and put up 62 points, his lowest full season total. The two years before he put up 97 and 90 points. To put that into some perspective, an old and back issue ridden Gretzky did that just 7 years before Crosby made his debut and the NHL opened up after the first lockout. It's not as if Gretzky wasn't good during the clutch and grab era, quite the opposite.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Agreed. Gretzky was his best during an era where scoring was up, leading to ridiculous point totals. However, many forget that he also played well in his final season in 1998-99 and put up 62 points, his lowest full season total. The two years before he put up 97 and 90 points. To put that into some perspective, an old and back issue ridden Gretzky did that just 7 years before Crosby made his debut and the NHL opened up after the first lockout. It's not as if Gretzky wasn't good during the clutch and grab era, quite the opposite.
Sometimes I think people conveniently ignore the fact that when Gretzky was old and a shell of his former self, he was on the same level as guys like Selanne, Forsberg, Jagr, Recchi, Sakic, and Sundin when they were in their prime. Could those guys not play in "todays NHL"?

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Wow this is actually a pretty hard one. I went with Crosby/Ovechkin for a few reasons:

1. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Injury to Gretzky would kill the Gretzky team. Injury to one of Crosby or Ovechkin, and you're still left with a star player.
2. You could split up Crosby and Ovechkin, and have two very good lines, although not as good as Gretzky's.
3. It's a team game where depth tends to beat outstanding players. Recent cup winners like Pittsburgh (couldn't win again after 2009 until Crosby and Malkin got enough help), LA, and Chicago show how important depth is to a team. Two great players might still be better than possibly the best player of all time.
4. Gretzky is the greatest offensive player of all time, and will make any player(s) he skates with, into a very good player(s) as well. This can't be discounted. Crosby and Ovechkin can bring a nice counter to this though. I'd play Crosby as my #1C against Gretzky, but give him less ice time (balance ice time between first and second lines), so that Gretzky also has to match up against the #2 line with Ovechkin on it - then I'd ask Ovechkin to hit Gretzky whenever he could do it cleanly without taking a penalty. Attempt to wear Gretzky down (or even cause nagging pains/soreness) over a season/series.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So this should confirm what I was saying in best player poll#3. That people are voting Malkin simply to troll Ovechkin. Look at it this way. if Malkin and Ovi are similar level ( which they are not) then Pens already have Crosby/Ovy together because they have Crosby/Malkin together.

Crosby/Malkin or Gretzky the answer is 99 easily. I don't get the lopsided result here.

This has literally nothing to do with Malkin lol. Talk about being over-sensitive/paranoid much.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted Gretzky.

He was too good to pass up. Gretzky in the 80s dominated the sport in a way no player ever has before/since.

Reactions: WalterLundy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sometimes I think people conveniently ignore the fact that when Gretzky was old and a shell of his former self, he was on the same level as guys like Selanne, Forsberg, Jagr, Recchi, Sakic, and Sundin when they were in their prime. Could those guys not play in "todays NHL"?

Some of those guys did play in today's NHL! :laugh:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I voted Gretzky but a fairer question might have been Gretzky/Kurri versus Crosby/Ovechkin.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
people not voting Gretzky never saw him play. prime Gretzky is far and away the best player ever. twice as good as either Crosby or Ovi. i've seen many games where Crosby and Ovi were invisible, prime Gretzky never was, he was simply unstoppable.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
MMmmmKay..

Obviously my point was that Gretzky, toward the end of his career, was good enough to outscore a guy who was still a star at an old age in the NHL a decade ago. I'm sure prime Gretzky would have been kicked ass in 2008 and would do likewise in 2018.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->