Gretzky traded to the red wings (what if)

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yeah he was. But Jagr > Primeau and whatever we got for him which is Shanny. Jagr could do everything maybe except fight like Shanny.

No question that Primeau sucked. Lol

Jagr on a line with Yzerman, Fedorov, the eventually Datsyuk would have been scary for the opposition. We would have just bought Shanahan in free agency anyway because Hartford was a terrible team and DET was THE place to be if one wanted to win. Damn, I miss those days.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Biggest what if for me, is we actually turned in a draft card for Pavel Bure and were told no. Vancouver overturned it later in that very draft proving his eligibility.

We should have left that 89 Draft with Pavel Bure as well, league error screwed us on that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Biggest what if for me, is we actually turned in a draft card for Pavel Bure and were told no. Vancouver overturned it later in that very draft proving his eligibility.

We should have left that 89 Draft with Pavel Bure as well, league error screwed us on that.

Right?!? That one is the biggest what if.

But it's hard to really get too enamored with what ifs, considering how well everything went. If you get another superstar like that, maybe you turn into a dynasty, or maybe it throws off the whole thing in unforeseen ways.

Detroit Sports*

Can you explain the Datsyuk AND Bure situation I never heard of this?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can you explain the Datsyuk AND Bure situation I never heard of this?

No problem. There's a decent breakdown of it here on Bure's wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Bure#Transfer_to_the_NHL_.281989.E2.80.931991.29

While most teams believed he was ineligible, the Canucks' head scout at the time, Mike Penny, discovered that Bure had played in additional exhibition and international games to make him an eligible late-round draft choice a year early.[3][4] Jack Button, the Washington Capitals' director of player personnel, admitted "everybody would have taken him earlier. We assumed he was not eligible... you've got to give the Canucks credit for doing their homework."[25]

Several other teams either had similar knowledge or had pursued Bure, but there was confusion as to the legitimacy of the extra games. The Detroit Red Wings had inquired to league vice president Gil Stein as to Bure's supposed availability prior to their fifth-round pick, but were told that he was not eligible.[24] According to General Manager Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings, their European scout Christer Rockstrom insisted that the Wings select Bure while he was still available in the fifth round, but upon being told of his ineligibility the team selected Shawn McCosh instead. The Red Wings then decided they would select him with their sixth-round pick, 116th overall, "no matter what" and then settle his eligibility later. The Canucks selected Bure three picks ahead of Detroit's turn.[26] Winnipeg Jets general manager Mike Smith, meanwhile, claimed he travelled to Moscow prior to the draft and made an offer to the Soviet Ice Hockey Federation. The deal involved a transfer fee to be paid to the Soviets over three years, after which time, Bure would join the Jets as a 21-year-old. Smith did not have any plans to draft Bure in 1989, however, as he believed Bure was ineligible.[27]

General manager Pat Quinn originally intended to draft Bure in the eighth round, but after receiving word that the Edmonton Oilers had similar intentions, he selected him in the sixth.[24] Detroit's European scout Christer Rockstrom immediately began protesting, while several other unidentified team representatives reportedly stormed the Met Center stage in Minnesota, where the draft was being held, following the announcement of Bure's draft.[28] The Hartford Whalers and Washington Capitals then filed formal complaints to the league, resulting in an investigation into the selection.[24] After the pick was deemed illegal by league president John Ziegler in a press release on May 17, 1990, the Canucks appealed the decision, procuring game sheets proving Bure's participation in the additional games with the help of recent Soviet acquisition Igor Larionov. It was not until the eve of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft, in which Bure would have been re-entered, that the draft choice was upheld.[24]

Basically Holland was lied to about his eligibility in the draft by the NHL and took him 1 round too late.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
It's very tough to say what would have happened IF Gretzky got traded to Detroit. Very hard to tell how well he would do in Detroit. Both organizations at the time very different.

Funny though, i just read a similar article stating that Vancouver was just as close.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wow what a load of bs. What happened against the league? Nothing I assume? Also what is the dats situation?

Not really sure what you'r referring to. I know Blues fans whine that their scout missed a flight to see him. Lost in that narrative is that Hakan Andersson had already seen him twice and liked him enough to still go to bat for him. Had somebody else seen him they likely would have moved him up their draft board. The Wings do this better than virtually any other team the Edler saga not withstanding. They know what other teams are thinking to an uncanny degree, it is why they trade down and seem to constantly be pulling late round gems. It isn't a mistake, they understand what others are thinking.

My favorite one of these, was them telling Lidstrom not to go to the pre-draft events or draft itself. He had grown two inches and put on a decent amount of muscle they knew it and didn't want anybody else to see him. He obliged and they held true on their promise drafting him in the third round. Many felt had people actually got a look at him in the build up he might have gone somewhere in the late first or second round.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I have news for you. Gretzky never won a Stanley Cup after leaving Edmonton.

I have news for you. Hockey is a team sport. Nobody wins by himself. LA had no defense and no goalies. Gretzky dragged them to the Finals practically by himself before running into Roy.

On the OP: I don't know if Gretzky would bring us more Cups. Maybe in 1993. Pre-1994 Detroit was a lot like LA: no defense and no goalies. Bowman started turning all of this around, building a solid two-way system, but with Gretzky the incentive would most likely not have been there, resulting in early bounces. But in 1993 Gretzky had one of the best playoff campaigns ever, scoring 40 points. With that kind of production and prime Yzerman, Sheppard, Cicarelli (and Fedorov), I can see them winning the Cup on offense only.

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The other thing to keep I mind is that Detroit's roster probably would have looked different if Gretzky was here, it's not like he would have been the only change. Based on how many ex-Oilers were on the Kings and Blues, it's reasonable to think some of them would have had a stint with Detroit if Gretzky had been a Wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad