Gretzky, Lemieux, Coffey vs Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov 3x3 OT

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I think the first group had better score quickly because if the puck goes the other way I would not trust Coffey on a three on three defensively against the latter three.

Others have trusted Paul Coffey to stop a Soviet 2-on-1 and done okay.

Reactions: Sentinel

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'll take the 3 guys that played together as a unit for years.

The advantage they have defensively is bigger than the advantage the Canadians have offensively.

Faceoff is key, but neither Gretzky or Mario were good on faceoffs. If Canada wins the faceoff, Fetisov needs to cover Mario. If Russians win the faceoff.....?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I'll take the 3 guys that played together as a unit for years.

The advantage they have defensively is bigger than the advantage the Canadians have offensively.

Faceoff is key, but neither Gretzky or Mario were good on faceoffs. If Canada wins the faceoff, Fetisov needs to cover Mario. If Russians win the faceoff.....?

What makes a good face off-taker? Never really got it. It's not like these guys lacked in hand-to-eye coordination or anything...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I'm very confident in the first group. The fewer players there are the less chemistry would matter. Tarasov even had a quote regarding a similar idea and Bobby Hull.

That's true.

On the other side, I'm not sure Gretzky's strong suits would come through so much in a 3 against 3. With his hockey sense, you'd figure his advantage is mostly that he grasps complex situations faster than anyone else. E.g. it's pretty reasonable that he wouldn't be as good in a 2-2 situation as he was in a 5-5 and a 4-4 situation. Considering how different 3-3 overtime hockey looks compared to 5-5 and even 4-4, I don't think Gretzky would stand out as much. I think you'd rather have a Henri Richard or Sergey Fyodorov if you could choose.

Reactions: Sentinel

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's true.

On the other side, I'm not sure Gretzky's strong suits would come through so much in a 3 against 3. With his hockey sense, you'd figure his advantage is mostly that he grasps complex situations faster than anyone else. E.g. it's pretty reasonable that he wouldn't be as good in a 2-2 situation as he was in a 5-5 and a 4-4 situation. Considering how different 3-3 overtime hockey looks compared to 5-5 and even 4-4, I don't think Gretzky would stand out as much. I think you'd rather have a Henri Richard or Sergey Fyodorov if you could choose.

In theory sure, as it gives Gretzky fewer pieces to manipulate, but Gretzky and his Oilers (so Coffey as well) were absolutely dominant 4 on 4, to the point where they apparently considered taking 4 on 4 opportunities instead of powerplays. I do think that Lemieux would probably be better than Gretzky in this context given that he is likely the more unstoppable player in a one on one situation.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In theory sure, as it gives Gretzky fewer pieces to manipulate, but Gretzky and his Oilers (so Coffey as well) were absolutely dominant 4 on 4, to the point where they apparently considered taking 4 on 4 opportunities instead of powerplays. I do think that Lemieux would probably be better than Gretzky in this context given that he is likely the more unstoppable player in a one on one situation.

I'm aware of their historic strength in 4-4 situations. I actually think it's the perfect storm for Gretzky to stand out: enough complexity to fully employ his superior hockey sense plus a bit more space to make things happen. But IMO 3-3 hockey is a different animal. When you watch it, it has little resemblance to the game as we know it. It amounts to a continuos succession of end-to-end rushes. I don't think Gretzky would stand out half as much as Lemieux and Coffey.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
That's true.

Yeah but in this 3 on 3 scenario he has Lemieux on the ice with him, ie all he needs is for Lemieux(in 3 on 3 with less people to cover him) to get remotely open and he gets an assist.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
Lemieux is awesome one-on-one though, and that could prove to be a huge factor when so very few players are on the ice.

Lemieux also seemed to have a clear advantage when facing Fetisov one-on-one which could prove vital in this match-up. These three situations come to mind.

Lemieux first stickhandles by and then outmuscles Fetisov.

Great move from Lemieux to get by Fetisov.

Lemieux with another great move against Fetisov.

Reactions: Troubadour

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
On the other hand Makarov was one of the greatest one-on-one players of all time as well and Coffey would likely also have a very hard time containing him in this scenario. To be fair I would say that Coffey had less struggles with him than some other all-time great defencemen like Potvin and Robinson had. Still Makarov clearly had the advantage against Coffey as well. Some examples of this.

Makarov easily beats Coffey one-on-one and creates a great scoring chance for Larionov.

Makarov stickhandles through three players. One of them is Coffey.

Makarov stickhandles past Coffey and goes to the outside of Robinson and shoots a backhand wide of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->