Gretzky isn't the greatest goal scorer?

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I would never suggest that we should speculate on how many more points/goals-whatever that someone could have scored. I agree that that is needless speculation.

My point is simply that certain players (Gretzky & Lemieux being the obvious examples, but this somewhat applies to the few elite forwards who were both goal-scorers and playmakers -- Jagr, Howe, etc.) should not be judged as "goal-scorers" only on how many goals they scored, as if that number represents their peak. The reason, as explained above, is that their actual ability to score goals exceeded the number of goals they actually scored due to their uniquely high offensive abilities.

I am not sure what to make out of that. On the one hand, we should not be adding any more projected/imaginary goals to Gretzky's or Jagr's actual goals.
On the other hand, we should not judge their goalscoring by how many goals they scored.
That seems to be a contradiction. Either we agree that they scored the goals they scored and that number represents their goalscoring ability, or we disagree with that and say a higher number would be a better reflection of their goalscoring ability.

I personally do not buy the notion that players can willingly forego goals in favor of assists or the other way around, let alone the notion that they can swap them one-for-one.
As I have already written, the numbers just do not bear out the story "in 85/86, Gretzky decided to take less shots and be more of a playmaker" - he actually took as many shots in 85/86 as the season before, they were just not going in. A more plausible story is that his goalscoring and playmaking peaked at different time, and in 85/86 his playmaking was still on the rise, while the strength and precision of his shot were already going down, and Gretzky adjusted actually in 86/87, when he realized from his 85/86 experience that the shots that used to go in for him are not going in any more and hence he started shooting less.
As for "concentrating on goal-scoring" - I think Gretzky took all quality shots he could, and if he had ever tried to shoot even more, that would have been low-quality shots which would not have done him much good.
Now, "high-quality shots" is a function of goal-scoring prowess: some shots Ovechkin is taking are high-quality for him, but pretty much everyone else in the same situation would either give the goalie an easy save or just fumble the puck. It is not like Ovechkin just throws and throws the rubber in the direction of the goal and eventually gets lucky. He has the shot that is likely to beat the goaltender even from the blue line, he can rip off a dangerous shot even if you pass the puck behind his skates, etc. Howe, Bobby Hull, Richard were like that. And someone like MSL was never like that, even though MSL did score 38 in the dead-puck era. Had MSL tried shooting as much as Ovechkin, those extra shots would have gone nowhere and the coach would have told him to stop pretty soon.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I am not sure what to make out of that. On the one hand, we should not be adding any more projected/imaginary goals to Gretzky's or Jagr's actual goals.
On the other hand, we should not judge their goalscoring by how many goals they scored.
That seems to be a contradiction. Either we agree that they scored the goals they scored and that number represents their goalscoring ability, or we disagree with that and say a higher number would be a better reflection of their goalscoring ability.

I personally do not buy the notion that players can willingly forego goals in favor of assists or the other way around, let alone the notion that they can swap them one-for-one.
As I have already written, the numbers just do not bear out the story "in 85/86, Gretzky decided to take less shots and be more of a playmaker" - he actually took as many shots in 85/86 as the season before, they were just not going in. A more plausible story is that his goalscoring and playmaking peaked at different time, and in 85/86 his playmaking was still on the rise, while the strength and precision of his shot were already going down, and Gretzky adjusted actually in 86/87, when he realized from his 85/86 experience that the shots that used to go in for him are not going in any more and hence he started shooting less.
As for "concentrating on goal-scoring" - I think Gretzky took all quality shots he could, and if he had ever tried to shoot even more, that would have been low-quality shots which would not have done him much good.
Now, "high-quality shots" is a function of goal-scoring prowess: some shots Ovechkin is taking are high-quality for him, but pretty much everyone else in the same situation would either give the goalie an easy save or just fumble the puck. It is not like Ovechkin just throws and throws the rubber in the direction of the goal and eventually gets lucky. He has the shot that is likely to beat the goaltender even from the blue line, he can rip off a dangerous shot even if you pass the puck behind his skates, etc. Howe, Bobby Hull, Richard were like that. And someone like MSL was never like that, even though MSL did score 38 in the dead-puck era. Had MSL tried shooting as much as Ovechkin, those extra shots would have gone nowhere and the coach would have told him to stop pretty soon.
I think you're kind of overly focused on Gretzky 1985-86 season. What I'm saying applies to his entire prime career (1979-1991), not just one season with a goals dip. What I'm saying also applies to Jaromir Jagr, Gordie Howe, Sidney Crosby, and some other super-elite players. Their ability to score goals in a vacuum is higher than their raw goals results, yes. (Does it apply to Adam Oates or Joe Thornton? Debatable. I'm not sure there was enough evidence that those players could have been 50-goal scorers, though they probably could have scored more goals than they did.)

The same applies to Ovechkin or Brett Hull, probably, in reverse. Those kinds of players were generally functioning as trigger-men, and for good reason. But I'm sure Ovechkin's 59-assist career best, for example, could have been higher if he'd been on a power-play with Brett Hull and Mike Bossy, or where he'd been the center on his line. I mean, really, can we judge playmaking centers by the same goal-scoring ability-metric as sniping wingers who are the designated trigger-man? When it comes to all-time elite offensive centers (or offensively balanced wingers, like Jagr/Howe) I would tend to say 'no'.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Gretzky has stated that one of his regrets is he didn't go harder for 100 goals. I would be curious how much stronger Gretzky's case would be in this discussion had he done it, because I think there would be a huge psychological effect seeing 100 for the season, even if it seems like not that many more.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This whole discussion boils down to a few questions, not least of which is....

What exactly is meant by being the greatest goal scorer?

I can think of a few meanings, and the answer to the question: What do you mean? has a big effect on who gets the award.

For example....
1- If you had 90 seconds to play in a Game 7, and needed a goal to tie the game, who would you put on the ice for the purpose of scoring the goal?
or.....
2- Among all the players with high goal totals, who successfully took his chances and scored, at the highest rate? or, who missed least often. "Conversion Rate"

And, these are only 2 possibilities.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
What I'm saying applies to his entire prime career (1979-1991), not just one season with a goals dip. What I'm saying also applies to Jaromir Jagr, Gordie Howe, Sidney Crosby, and some other super-elite players. Their ability to score goals in a vacuum is higher than their raw goals results, yes. (Does it apply to Adam Oates or Joe Thornton? Debatable.

To the bolded: since we are on the By the Numbers board, how do we put a number on that? Especially after you said in a previous comment "I would never suggest that we should speculate on how many more points/goals-whatever that someone could have scored".
Based on actual numbers, Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer than Gretzky. Does this conclusion flip if we account for Gretzky's "ability to score goals in a vacuum"? Or does it just become closer - and by how much?

More generally, I do not believe that "focusing more on goals" would have done Gretzky or even Howe much good, for the reasons I explained above. Yes, they may have picked up a few extra goals here and there, but it would not have changed the big picture. Every time someone suggests an example of a player "deciding to score more/less goals", a closer look at the data just reveals an unusual shooting percentage.
A recent example is Crosby's 16/17: he took the exact same number of shots as in 15/16 (when he eked out a top10 finish in goals) or in 17/18 (when he was not even top20 in goals). The real difference is his shooting %: 17.3% in 16/17 vs. 14.5% in 15/16 and 11.7% in 17/18. So it is not like Crosby just decided to become a sniper and lo and behold, he is a Rocket winner. He was just an extremely lucky dude who had tons of puck luck exactly during the season when Ovechkin injured his wrist and Stamkos injured his knee.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
To the bolded: since we are on the By the Numbers board, how do we put a number on that? Especially after you said in a previous comment "I would never suggest that we should speculate on how many more points/goals-whatever that someone could have scored".
We can't put a number on it. This thread is asking for "greatest", which seems to be a very subjective thing. (This is, after all, a discussion board. We wouldn't have an 11-page thread if it were clear-cut.)

When someone asks who is the "greatest" player, is there a number that tells us? No.
Based on actual numbers, Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer than Gretzky.
What number is this, exactly? There are many, many numbers we can focus on.
More generally, I do not believe that "focusing more on goals" would have done Gretzky or even Howe much good, for the reasons I explained above.
Whereas I believe it would have.

In 1980-81, Gretzky scored 21 goals in the first half of the season. In 1981-82, he scored 50 goals in the first half of the season when he was playing with Semenko and Lumley (pluggers) as his wingers. Did he suddenly get more than twice as good at goal-scoring, peak ability, overnight? No, he started focusing on goal-scoring more. (The same season, he broke his own record for most assists in a season, while spending a couple of weeks setting up Dave Lumley for goals in 12 [?] straight games. I'm pretty sure he could have scored at least a few more goals in that period if he hadn't been setting up Lumley.)

In 1984-85, Gretzky scored 73 goals and only 8 were on the power-play. Do you really think he couldn't have scored more PP goals if he had been so focused?

In 1985-86, Gretzky scored "only" 24 goals in the latter half of the season, with the Oilers going great-guns and his teammates filling the net. The next season with the Oilers' stars and team struggling a bit (and NHL goal-scoring noticeably down), he put up 41 goals in the first half of the season. Then, with the team recovered and his linemates getting hot again, he slowed down in goal-scoring the rest of the season.

In 1990-91, Gretzky was 4th in even-strength goals but 13th in overall goals. I am fairly confident he could have banged in a few more PP goals if he'd been focused on it.

I'm using examples of Gretzky's stats because I'm more familiar with them. But I'm sure the same would apply (if in lesser 'volume') to other elite players who were near the top at both goal-scoring and playmaking/passing.

So, no, I don't put any number on this because it would be purely speculative. Also, simply scoring more goals does NOT mean these players would be better players or even would score more points. But we should acknowledge that some elite players did more offensively than just try to score goals. And awareness of this does affect how I personally think of their "greatness" as goal scorers.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
In 1985-86, Gretzky scored "only" 24 goals in the latter half of the season, with the Oilers going great-guns and his teammates filling the net. The next season with the Oilers' stars and team struggling a bit (and NHL goal-scoring noticeably down), he put up 41 goals in the first half of the season.

In 1980-81, Gretzky scored 21 goals in the first half of the season. In 1981-82, he scored 50 goals in the first half of the season when he was playing with Semenko and Lumley (pluggers) as his wingers. Did he suddenly get more than twice as good at goal-scoring, peak ability, overnight?

Yes, Gretzky's ability to score and in particular to find scoring chances improved within a year. He made a breakthrough as a goal-scorer, that thing happens to 20-year-olds.
Using a recent example, Stamkos was still rather meh in 2008/2009 (23 goals in 79 games), but then went on a torrid pace and finished the next season with 51 goals. Did he become twice as good at goalscoring overnight? Well, yeah. Just one year can do that to a youngster.

Going back to Gretzky's half-seasons: in the first half of 80/81, he took 116 shots for shooting % of 18.1%, which was below average for his EDM years (20.9%)
In the first half of 81/82, he took 176 shots for shooting % of 28.4%. At the average shooting %, he would have scored 176*0.209=37 goals, but he was lucky, and hence the 50 in 39 feat.
Were 176 shots in 40 games a lot for peak Gretzky? For a 80-game season, that's a 352-per-season rate, that's exactly how many shots Gretzky took, give or take some, in every season between 81/82 and 85/86. Peak Gretzky just started doing peak Gretzky thing, it had nothing to do with Lumley and Semenko.

(The same season, he broke his own record for most assists in a season, while spending a couple of weeks setting up Dave Lumley for goals in 12 [?] straight games. I'm pretty sure he could have scored at least a few more goals in that period if he hadn't been setting up Lumley.)

... and that caused Gretzky to take even more shots in the second half of 81/82 than in the first half! (176 vs. 194) Did his way of setting up Lumley involve leaving rebounds for him? :laugh:

You see, the hockey lore just does not square with the data. You can probably point to a handful of isolated episodes on isolated nights, when it looked like all Gretzky was doing was setting up Lumley, but in the grand scheme of things it did not matter, after a blazing hot first half of the season he was shooting like never before.

In 1984-85, Gretzky scored 73 goals and only 8 were on the power-play. Do you really think he couldn't have scored more PP goals if he had been so focused?

I don't know, I don't have the PP TOI and shots data for the 84/85. It may well be that Gretzky's PP shooting % was just very low that particular season.
In general, over his career Gretzky was not a PP goal-scorer, which could be due to the fact that he did not have Ovechkin/Stamkos shot "you know it is coming, but you still cannot stop it". So if Gretzky did not take as many PP shots, it was probably for a reason related to his abilities as a goalscorer.

In 1985-86, Gretzky scored "only" 24 goals in the latter half of the season, with the Oilers going great-guns and his teammates filling the net. The next season with the Oilers' stars and team struggling a bit (and NHL goal-scoring noticeably down), he put up 41 goals in the first half of the season.

And here we go again: Gretzky took 166 shots in the second half 1985/86, for the shooting % of 14.5%, which resulted in 24 goals. Compared to his EDM average shooting % (20.9%), he was just very unlucky. And if he was injured and his shot suffered, then he was really stubborn with still trying it, because 166 per 40 games is 332-per-season, rather close to his average shooting rate in his peak years.
In the first half of 1986/87, Gretzky took 177 shots - so you are saying, he took 11 extra shots over the period of 40 games to help his team? :laugh: What made his goals go up was his shooting % - finally it bounced back up, to 22.6%, and he got his 40 goals in 40 games.

You see, it is always like this: when you hear a story of someone stepping up and deciding to score more goals, you expect a strong increase in the shots volume and probably a slight dip in shooting %, as you think the guy is now taking shots in less advantageous situations, when he normally would have looked to pass. But his linemates are bad/injured/slumping, and he is now shooting and shooting.

And then you go to the data, and the shots are unchanged, all what's changing is shooting %. So instead of someone trying to save the team you see just a lucky dude, whose shots were going in in a fortunate period of time. Players cannot control their shooting % (unless it is by taking way less shots and shooting only at the open net). It is not like someone decides to help his team and suddenly decides to shoot more accurately and aim for corners/goalie's weak spots, whereas normally he would just shoot from the hip.

And the reverse is true: you hear the story of someone deciding to pass more, and in the data you see the guy who is shooting as much as ever, but has terrible puck luck.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, Gretzky's ability to score and in particular to find scoring chances improved within a year. He made a breakthrough as a goal-scorer, that thing happens to 20-year-olds.
Using a recent example, Stamkos was still rather meh in 2008/2009 (23 goals in 79 games), but then went on a torrid pace and finished the next season with 51 goals. Did he become twice as good at goalscoring overnight? Well, yeah. Just one year can do that to a youngster.

Going back to Gretzky's half-seasons: in the first half of 80/81, he took 116 shots for shooting % of 18.1%, which was below average for his EDM years (20.9%)
In the first half of 81/82, he took 176 shots for shooting % of 28.4%. At the average shooting %, he would have scored 176*0.209=37 goals, but he was lucky, and hence the 50 in 39 feat.
Were 176 shots in 40 games a lot for peak Gretzky? For a 80-game season, that's a 352-per-season rate, that's exactly how many shots Gretzky took, give or take some, in every season between 81/82 and 85/86. Peak Gretzky just started doing peak Gretzky thing, it had nothing to do with Lumley and Semenko.

... and that caused Gretzky to take even more shots in the second half of 81/82 than in the first half! (176 vs. 194) Did his way of setting up Lumley involve leaving rebounds for him? :laugh:

You see, the hockey lore just does not square with the data. You can probably point to a handful of isolated episodes on isolated nights, when it looked like all Gretzky was doing was setting up Lumley, but in the grand scheme of things it did not matter, after a blazing hot first half of the season he was shooting like never before.

I don't know, I don't have the PP TOI and shots data for the 84/85. It may well be that Gretzky's PP shooting % was just very low that particular season.
In general, over his career Gretzky was not a PP goal-scorer, which could be due to the fact that he did not have Ovechkin/Stamkos shot "you know it is coming, but you still cannot stop it". So if Gretzky did not take as many PP shots, it was probably for a reason related to his abilities as a goalscorer.

And here we go again: Gretzky took 166 shots in the second half 1985/86, for the shooting % of 14.5%, which resulted in 24 goals. Compared to his EDM average shooting % (20.9%), he was just very unlucky. And if he was injured and his shot suffered, then he was really stubborn with still trying it, because 166 per 40 games is 332-per-season, rather close to his average shooting rate in his peak years.
In the first half of 1986/87, Gretzky took 177 shots - so you are saying, he took 11 extra shots over the period of 40 games to help his team? :laugh: What made his goals go up was his shooting % - finally it bounced back up, to 22.6%, and he got his 40 goals in 40 games.

You see, it is always like this: when you hear a story of someone stepping up and deciding to score more goals, you expect a strong increase in the shots volume and probably a slight dip in shooting %, as you think the guy is now taking shots in less advantageous situations, when he normally would have looked to pass. But his linemates are bad/injured/slumping, and he is now shooting and shooting.

And then you go to the data, and the shots are unchanged, all what's changing is shooting %. So instead of someone trying to save the team you see just a lucky dude, whose shots were going in in a fortunate period of time. Players cannot control their shooting % (unless it is by taking way less shots and shooting only at the open net). It is not like someone decides to help his team and suddenly decides to shoot more accurately and aim for corners/goalie's weak spots, whereas normally he would just shoot from the hip.

And the reverse is true: you hear the story of someone deciding to pass more, and in the data you see the guy who is shooting as much as ever, but has terrible puck luck.
It would appear your entire position is entrenched in "shooting percentage is everything", and so we're at an impasse. (And by the way, yes, I do think some elite players can "control", so to speak, their shooting percentages -- if you're looking to score more goals, you're going to get into position to take more high-percentage shots than if you are looking to set up teammates.)

You haven't addressed my central question, btw, which was: Can we judge playmaking centers by the same goal-scoring ability-metric as sniping wingers who are the designated trigger-men?

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
It would appear your entire position is entrenched in "shooting percentage is everything", and so we're at an impasse.

This is what the data say: all examples of "he decided to score more goals" turn out to be "his shooting percentage was way above average" and all examples of "he decided to focus on playmaking" boil down to "his shooting percentage was poor, so we will pretend he was shooting at the goaltender's belly on purpose and praise him for something else". It is not about Gretzky, all stories about playmakers turned goalscorers for a few months and the other way around are that way.

(And by the way, yes, I do think some elite players can "control", so to speak, their shooting percentages -- if you're looking to score more goals, you're going to get into position to take more high-percentage shots than if you are looking to set up teammates.)

That's harder to do than just to start shooting more, so it is unlikely that they always go the hard route without even trying the easier way.

You haven't addressed my central question, btw, which was: Can we judge playmaking centers by the same goal-scoring ability-metric as sniping wingers who are the designated trigger-men?

Sure. They get the extra reward for their playmaking when we evaluate them as players overall. Why double-dip and try to use the same assists they already got credit for in overall/playmakers ranking in a goal-scoring discussion? One can be a better goal-scorer and a worse overall player. Probably statements like "Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer than Gretzky" or "Bondra was a better goal-scorer than Kane" just rub people the wrong way, because "Ovechkin better than Gretzky" and "Bondra better than Kane" does sound weird. But it is quite possible for a better player to be worse in one particular thing than a worse player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Based on actual numbers, Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer than Gretzky. Does this conclusion flip if we account for Gretzky's "ability to score goals in a vacuum"? Or does it just become closer - and by how much?

More generally, I do not believe that "focusing more on goals" would have done Gretzky or even Howe much good, for the reasons I explained above. Yes, they may have picked up a few extra goals here and there, but it would not have changed the big picture. Every time someone suggests an example of a player "deciding to score more/less goals", a closer look at the data just reveals an unusual shooting percentage.
A recent example is Crosby's 16/17: he took the exact same number of shots as in 15/16 (when he eked out a top10 finish in goals) or in 17/18 (when he was not even top20 in goals). The real difference is his shooting %: 17.3% in 16/17 vs. 14.5% in 15/16 and 11.7% in 17/18. So it is not like Crosby just decided to become a sniper and lo and behold, he is a Rocket winner. He was just an extremely lucky dude who had tons of puck luck exactly during the season when Ovechkin injured his wrist and Stamkos injured his knee.

I would choose Gretzky myself since he was more dangerous precisely because he could pass as well as he could. I think this makes his goal scoring numbere even more remarkable. And I don't think there is any question that as the team matured Gretzky focused even more on playmaking. Part of this was also in response to how teams played him. Shadows and double teams increased as the Oilers started to make noise. To a degree this played into his hands since it meant there was almost always someone open.

Ovi, who is certainly a legitimate candidate for this title, is a high volume shooter, especially on the pp where for years the focus of Washington's pp was to get the puck to Ovi. This was almost the opposite of how the Oilers ran their pp with Gretzky often behind the net but almost always looking to pass. Ovi has 36.75% of his total goals on the pp. Gretzky was at 22.8% for his career and 21.4% as a Oiler. OV has 227 career pp assists. Gretzky has 686. I have no doubt having watched hundreds of games live that had he had more of a shoot first mentality Gretzky could have scored many more pp goals. But that would not have been in the team's interest. How you actually quantify this though is much more difficult to say.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Stamkos clearly got better as most players do at those ages, but he actually averaged under 15 minutes a game in his rookie season under Barry Melrose who really underestimated how good he already was at the time.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I would choose Gretzky myself since he was more dangerous precisely because he could pass as well as he could.

That makes Gretzky a better player, but why would it make him a better goalscorer?

I think this makes his goal scoring numbere even more remarkable.

"More remarkable" is not "better". One can say Theo Fleury's goals are more remarkable than, say, Jagr's, because Theo was a midget and still scored.

And I don't think there is any question that as the team matured Gretzky focused even more on playmaking. Part of this was also in response to how teams played him. Shadows and double teams increased as the Oilers started to make noise. To a degree this played into his hands since it meant there was almost always someone open.

I personally do not see traces of that in the data. Gretzky's goalscoring declined quite rapidly after peaking. He just lost his ability to score as many goals as before, even in his last seasons with Edmonton.

Ovi, who is certainly a legitimate candidate for this title, is a high volume shooter, especially on the pp where for years the focus of Washington's pp was to get the puck to Ovi. This was almost the opposite of how the Oilers ran their pp with Gretzky often behind the net but almost always looking to pass. Ovi has 36.75% of his total goals on the pp. Gretzky was at 22.8% for his career and 21.4% as a Oiler.

Washington's decision was a function of OV's goalscoring ability. Had Ovechkin been a worse goalscorer, he would have seen less passes going his way. Even more, the ability of Ovechkin to rip off a hard shot on the net from an awkward pass that goes two feet behind his skates is what gives him his shot volume. Many folks just would not have put on the net some of those passes that become goals with OV on the receiving end.

"Volume shooter" is not a bad thing, and pretty much any great goalscorer is a volume shooter. Gretzky led the league in shots 4 times and was in top10 in shots during all his seasons in Edmonton (i.e., when he was top10 in goals).
Another "volume shooter" was Howe - we do not have shots data for his peak seasons, but as a 34-year-old he led the league in shots, outshooting prime Bobby Hull by 50 shots over 70 games. In fact, Howe's shooting rate was higher than Ovechkin's - in their 30s, Howe managed to rip off more shots in 70 games than Ovechkin could in 82 games, and even if you compare shots-per-game of 30-34-year-old Howe with those of 26-30-year-old Ovechkin, Howe comes out on top.

ContrarianGoaltender

Feb 28, 2007
tcghockey.com
@Zuluss, before I reply I'm just going to say that I agree with your overall point that goal scorers should be rated based on how good they are as goal scorers, not as overall players. I don't object at all to someone ranking Ovechkin over Gretzky, I am actually in the very extreme minority who ranks Bossy ahead of Gretzky as a goal scorer, because I think there is more to consider than just who ended up on the scoresheet the most times.

That said, here's why I disagree with many of your arguments involving Gretzky in this thread:

As I have already written, the numbers just do not bear out the story "in 85/86, Gretzky decided to take less shots and be more of a playmaker" - he actually took as many shots in 85/86 as the season before, they were just not going in.

Who said Gretzky decided to take less shots? That's not required to support the claim that Gretzky tried to score more assists. What happened in 1985-86, based on statistical evidence and contemporary accounts, is that Gretzky tried to break the assists record (and specifically target 2 assists per game). I'm not sure he decided that from day one, he may well have gotten off to a decent start and started really focusing on it around the halfway point. I really don't see any way to interpret his numbers otherwise:

All numbers per-80 games for easy comparison:

SeasonESGESAESPPPGPPAPPPSHGSHASHPShots
1984-8554 92 146 8 36 44 11 7 18 354
First 48 GP in 85-86439814115435831316 367
Last 32 GP in 85-86301151455434831820 325
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You're trying to argue that Gretzky got unlucky in terms of his shooting for nearly half a season, at the same time that every single one of his linemates got lucky by almost exactly the same margin, balancing out his points almost perfectly, and you're claiming that is actually more likely than that the greatest playmaker of all-time explicitly tried to target a record in his best statistical category, during a bunch of meaningless games in a season where his team won the division by 30 points.

I think Gretzky in 1985-86 is easily one of the clearest examples of a player trading goals for assists ever, because down the stretch his goals dropped by a decent margin while his point scoring rates remained almost identical to the previous season, in all 3 game states. I agree that people often see too much meaning in randomness, but here I think you're making the opposite mistake of missing what was actually happening because you've already written it off as luck.

A more plausible story is that his goalscoring and playmaking peaked at different time, and in 85/86 his playmaking was still on the rise, while the strength and precision of his shot were already going down, and Gretzky adjusted actually in 86/87, when he realized from his 85/86 experience that the shots that used to go in for him are not going in any more and hence he started shooting less.

Gretzky wasn't at any kind of peak in 1985-86, the only reason that season became record-breaking points-wise was because he had three sub-60 point teams in his division that he completely beat up on (74 points in 24 games against L.A., Vancouver and Winnipeg).

Also the Oilers, after being famously upset in the 1986 playoffs, changed their style of play to be less high event in 1986-87:

1986: 2645 SF, 2778 SA, 2484 Avg
1987: 2357 SF, 2366 SA, 2400 Avg

Gretzky's shots were down in 1987, but percentage-wise they were down less than it looks (13.2% of team shots to 12.2% of team shots). Not everything is determined entirely by the preferences and choices of individual players, there are coaches and teammates and other teams in the picture as well.

What do you mean by less good? Even if it cost him a bunch of points overall but resulted in a few more goals, that would have certainly done him more good with the people in this thread who think that goals scored = goal scoring ability, end of argument.

But right here you just described the most likely scenario for Gretzky in 1985-86 that fits all the facts: He took relatively more shots from less dangerous spots and made relatively more passes in dangerous spots.

We obviously don't have expected goal or scoring chance data from that era, but let's take Gretzky's shorthanded scoring, since shorthanded goals tend to be the result of relatively high danger chances, often on the rush. In his career through 1984-85, he had 40 shorthanded goals and 28 shorthanded assists. In 1985-86, he had 3 shorthanded goals and 18 shorthanded assists. Over the rest of his career, he had 30 SHG and 33 SHA.

Not only did Gretzky suddenly have a crazy pass split on the PK, but 8 of his shorthanded assists were on passes to Paul Coffey, and 5 of those 8 came in February or later.

You can call that luck, but then I think your definition of luck is completely broken. When you're breaking in on a shorthanded rush and your first thought is to pass it to a defenceman, you very obviously have an extreme pass-first bias.

That's certainly a presumptuous statement to make when we're comparing players over the entirety of hockey history. I doubt you have nearly enough evidence to conclude that nobody has ever increased the quality of their scoring chances enough to support increased goals production from a similar rate of shots. Particularly in an era like the '80s, where there were huge differences in finishing skill and shot quality allowed between teams.

If you look at something like Peter Forsberg scoring goals at a higher rate in the playoffs than in the regular season (one of the classic "he decided to score more" examples), it is in fact based mostly on an increase in shooting percentage, but that increase took place over the course of 151 career playoff games. It's still not impossible that it was largely random, but at the same time, the bigger the sample, the less likely that it is all luck. Playoff samples are small, player peaks are short, it is possible to handwave away every result like that as all luck but I am not convinced that is the responsible statistical choice.

I actually do agree that having an extreme shoot-first or pass-first bias would likely have reduced the overall point totals for many players, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't get more of the goals or assists they were specifically targeting. You can get more goals or assists (or less goals and/or assists) simply by switching spots on the power play, changing lines, getting traded to a weaker division, it's really not that hard. For example, every time a forward was used on the point with the man advantage, their shot distribution changed immediately. You can look at the result of that and call it "an unusual shooting percentage", and that isn't technically wrong, but there was still a non-random reason for it happening.

So, let's see, Gretzky scores 56 power play goals in 234 games from 1982-1984 (0.24 per game). He then doesn't score above 0.16 PPG per game in any one of the following nine seasons (never once finishing in the top 10 in the league in that category, even though 5 times he still ends up top-5 in ES goals). Your conclusion to this is that he may have had a weird shooting percentage year in 1984-85, not that he had a significant change to his power play role that persisted with a high degree of consistency for the next decade?

It was almost definitely because Gretzky was such a good passer that he got moved to a predominantly passing role, rather than a shooting role. Just like how in the 1987 Canada Cup, Gretzky became the passer and Lemieux became the shooter. Having Lemieux passing and Gretzky shooting would certainly still have resulted in a lot of goals, just not as many as vice versa, and therefore that's what they ended up going with. This is the principle of relative advantage, which means that you should be used in the way that you are most effective, and if his team had other guys who could shoot but nobody who could pass like Gretzky, it made sense for him to shift more towards playmaking.

For more or less exactly the same reasons, Alex Ovechkin has only 48 power play assists in his last 409 games.

Honestly, every time I hear someone arguing in favour of Ovechkin try to claim that power play performance reflects only player talent and no other factors whatsoever, it boggles my mind. Was it that long ago that Adam Oates showed up and made the Washington power play the best in the league overnight? Or do you think Ovi suddenly figured out how to take one-timers at age 27, and that was why his power play goals per game rate went up by 35% in 2013-15 compared to absolute peak, force-of-nature Ovi from 2008-10? At the same time that league power play opportunities dropped by 21%?

Ovechkin's post-prime career is one of the clearest examples in hockey history of the obvious fact that power play production is affected by systems and player deployment.

Sure. They get the extra reward for their playmaking when we evaluate them as players overall. Why double-dip and try to use the same assists they already got credit for in overall/playmakers ranking in a goal-scoring discussion? One can be a better goal-scorer and a worse overall player. Probably statements like "Ovechkin is a better goal-scorer than Gretzky" or "Bondra was a better goal-scorer than Kane" just rub people the wrong way, because "Ovechkin better than Gretzky" and "Bondra better than Kane" does sound weird. But it is quite possible for a better player to be worse in one particular thing than a worse player.

Now this I completely I agree with, there should be something of a separation between a player's ability as an overall offensive player and as a goal scorer. Goals and assists aren't unrelated random events, nobody scores 5 goals and 75 assists, or has 80 goals and 10 assists. If you're a great playmaker, you are going to score a bunch of goals, more or less because that is basically how hockey works. It's not obvious to me that necessarily makes you a great goal scorer, if it is in many ways the side-effect of other skills.

But above all, I strongly disagree with the idea that most goals = best goal scorer. There have to be other variables that are relevant when we're comparing different players from different eras on different teams taking on different player roles.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gretzky's goalscoring declined quite rapidly after peaking. He just lost his ability to score as many goals as before, even in his last seasons with Edmonton.
His goal-scoring (numbers) decline somewhat, but his ability didn't, in my view.

As noted, in 1985-86 Gretzky's goals totals dipped (if a 52-goal season can be called a "dip"), and his assists skyrocketed. In the '86 playoffs, when the Oilers were struggling against Calgary, he scored 8 goals in 10 games, and then in the first half of 1986-87, he scored 40 goals in 39 games. He ended up with 62 goals in 79 games, 1st in the NHL. That's slowing down?

Then, in 1987-88, at the time of his injury at the end of December, he had 30 goals, one behind Mario (who ended up with 70). He scored 34 goals in 43 games (a 63-goal pace), until a second injury slowed him down and I think he decided to just get ready for the playoffs... in which he scored 12 goals in 18 games.

He was also top-10 in goals with L.A. in 1988-89, scoring 42 goals in 56 games before a late-season mini-slump pushed him down to 4th NHL by the end. And, as noted, he was 4th in even-strength goals in 1991.

The time when Gretzky's "ability" to score goals left him by noticeable degrees was in October 1991 and onward.

If you conclude that he wasn't as great a goal-scorer anymore in this period based on goals totals, that's fair. But what I have been talking about in this thread is more so "ability", which is a different thing. The guy who plays behind the net on the power-play and whose main job is to set up his teammates isn't going to score as much as if he was the only goal-scorer on the club.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Gretzky was the best hockey player in history. Best goal scorer, best playmaker, best skater, highest hockey IQ, etc. Anyone who says otherwise either never saw him play or is a blind homer Penguin fan who blindly believes Lemieux was better (he wasn't) or is a super old timer who thought people like Howe/Richard were better (even though the weren't).

Last edited:

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
In the '86 playoffs, when the Oilers were struggling against Calgary, he scored 8 goals in 10 games, and then in the first half of 1986-87, he scored 40 goals in 39 games. He ended up with 62 goals in 79 games, 1st in the NHL. That's slowing down?

Yes, for a player who posted 92 and 87 goal seasons, 62 goals in a season or a 64-goal pace in the PO is "slowing down". Gretzky went from leading peak Bossy by 28 goals to leading Tim Kerr by 4 goals four years later. Yes, this is a relatively sharp decline - at least when you compare it with Richard, who won the goal-scoring title with 43 goals at 28 and with 38 goals at 33, or with Ovechkin, who led #10 in goals by 63% in 2007/08 and then also by 61% in 2014/15.

Then, in 1987-88, at the time of his injury at the end of December, he had 30 goals, one behind Mario (who ended up with 70). He scored 34 goals in 43 games (a 63-goal pace), until a second injury slowed him down and I think he decided to just get ready for the playoffs... in which he scored 12 goals in 18 games.

He was also top-10 in goals with L.A. in 1988-89, scoring 42 goals in 56 games before a late-season mini-slump pushed him down to 4th NHL by the end. And, as noted, he was 4th in even-strength goals in 1991.

Those numbers look very impressive compared to the current, lower-scoring era. But the average number of goals for, say, #5 in goals was at 53 in the 1980s. So for some shorter-than-a-season streaks post-peak Gretzky was like 15% better than that - while in his peak years he was better than #5 by 70% for the whole season. Yes, that looks like a sharp drop from the peak.
That is not to say that late-1980s Gretzky was a bad goalscorer - he was a legit top10 goal-scorer, just like Brett Hull was in his post-peak years. But people usually look at Brett Hull's peak, then at his post-peak years, and go like "well, his best days did not last long, he came back to earth rather fast".

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Gretzky's single greatest asset was his abilty to analyse what was hapening on the ice and make the right play. Early in his career that was much more often him shooting or in general trying to score. People think about his HoF team mates but forget that early in Gretzky's career none of these guys were anything close to what they would become. In 81-82 Gretzky played with a plethora of linemates throughout the year. The most common of which was Dave Lumley who was in Sather's doghouse for the early part of the year. Then in a game in late November vs Vancouver Lumley had a 4 point night with 3 points coming on the pp involving assists on two of Gretzky's goals and one of his own assited by Gretzky. To get Lumley fired up after that game Sather put Lumley on Gretzky's line where he stayed for the rest of the year. Dave Hunter also joined them for a significant stint. As did Dave Semenko. So imagne you are Wayne Gretzky and you are on a two-on-one with Lumley or Hunter or Semenko. What is your best option???

At that point the Oiler's pp was pretty much Gretzky and whoever. Coffey had started to emerge as a dominant force on the pp but even he was not the player he would become. In fact it could be argued that for much of the season Siltanen was the focus on the back end.

Fast forward a few years later and you have Jari Kurri or Paul Coffey on that same two on one. Do you shoot or do you wait to the last minute and give Kurri/Coffey a virtually open net. I specifically mention the two on one because anyone who watched Gretzky would tell you that this is when he was most dangerous. Kurri was on the other end of a significant muber of these which is in good part why he could put up a sh% of nearly 29% while scoring 68 goals.

By 83-84 the Oilers pp was pretty much established with Kurri, Anderson, Messier and Coffey all having recently becoming recognized stars in their own right. But even at that point Gretzky still had more of a shooting focus than he would even as early as the next year. The big change though was their appearnce in the finals. That impacted both how they were seen around the league and how they saw themselves. Up until that point outside of the Smythe dvision the Oilers were viewed as a novelty. They might score a lot of goals and win in the regualr season but they were never going to be a factor when the playoffs rolled around. Internally, the loss to the Islanders focused the Oilers.

A lot changed with winning. One of the big changes was that teams explicitly focused on trying to neutralize the Oilers. The Flames litterally built their team to counter the Oilers and the NHL helped out by changing the rules on the pp to take away the 4 on 4 and 3 on three opportunities where Gretzky was so deadly. Stopping the Oilers started with Gretzky. No other player in history had so many defensive schemes designed to specifically try and neutralize him. This included the various incarnations of the "shadow" all of which Gretzky would eventually beat. To do so however often relied on his passing skills more so than his goal scoring ability. With a forward and a defenseman following him everywhere in the offensive zone Gretzky might score less but someone else was going to be open. (How many one-timers would Ovechkin have been denied had he had somene follow him everywhere on the ice including on the pp?)

During the 85-86 season Gretzky really seemed to focus on shattering the assist record. More so than any time in his career as an Oiler Gretzky looked to the pass. As an Oiler season ticketholder and someone who use to focus on Gretzly even when he did not have the puck, there is no way any statistical argument can convince me that this was in any way a sign that he lost his ability to score. It was simply a matter of what he saw as best from a team perspective.

As a working mathematician, I can apppreciate that this board is about what the numbers show. But in the case of Gretzky trying to ignore the evolution of both his own game and his team is a mistake. When he needed to be the guy to put the puck in the net he did that at an incredible rate. When it served the team's purpose that he pass rather than shoot that is what he did. And he did it better than anyone who ever played.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluto

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Gretzky was the best hockey player in history. Best goal scorer, best playmaker, best skater, highest hockey IQ, etc. Anyone who says otherwise either never saw him play or is a blind homer Penguin fan who blindly believes Lemieux was better (he wasn't) or is a super old timer who thought people like Howe/Richard were better (even though the weren't).

The bolded is not accurate, although he was obviously a great skater. Being the best overall does not mean you're the best in every single skill lol

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I have Mike Bossy as the greatest goal scorer.

There are some good cases to be made but some players, that's for sure. But of the players I've seen, It's Bossy.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

Gretzky was the greatest player, yes. BUt Lemieux is arguably the most naturally gifted player of all time. There's only two players to put up 80 goals not named Gretzky, and he is one of them. Dude scored 69 goals in 60 games, while oh by the way having a leukemia break in mid season.

There is no need to pump up Gretzky by tearing down the others.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
He's the greatest goal scorer until his 894 goals remains #1 on the list.

Sometimes its just that simple.

Reactions: Finster8

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Typo aside, if it were that simple, there wouldn’t be a prolonged discussion about it.

There's a prolonged discussion about it because that's the internet and hfboards logic for you, everybody wants to be an armchair expert gm, actually meet people in real life and 9/10 people will tell you Gretzky is the greatest goal scorer...because the stats say that he is.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Gretzky was the greatest player, yes. BUt Lemieux is arguably the most naturally gifted player of all time. There's only two players to put up 80 goals not named Gretzky, and he is one of them. Dude scored 69 goals in 60 games, while oh by the way having a leukemia break in mid season.

There is no need to pump up Gretzky by tearing down the others.

Yeah there is. Lemieux can't hold Gretzky's jock.
Without the cancer, lemiuex is still only number 2, and if you ain't first, you're last.
Lemieux is arguably the best player not named Wayne Gretzky, an argument that can also be made for Bobby Orr, Patrick Roy, Maurice Ruchard, and Gordie Howe. Wayne Gretzky was supperior to Lemieux in every way. Now, go look at your little poster of Lemieux hoisting the cup and ponder about 'what could have been'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad