Gretzky forgot about the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Thats the good thing about Canada. No matter what team we assemble we'll always be favorites. Other countries can't say the same about their teams. We can send about 3 different teams and still have good chances to win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jcpenny said:
Thats the good thing about Canada. No matter what team we assemble we'll always be favorites. Other countries can't say the same about their teams. We can send about 3 different teams and still have good chances to win.

I don't think that's the case at all. Since you can only send one team, and other countries have similar quality when you consider their best possible players, Canada isn't always the favorite. Take the WJC's this year. The U.S. was considered by many to be the favorite and in fact won the tournament.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
KariyaIsGod said:
Where do people get off saying Primeau is and better than Draper?

Primeau has ONE GOOD PLAYOFF and all of the sudden he's Wayne Gretxky and Mario Lemieux combined.

Let's not forget that Draper clearly showed this season he has the ability to put the puck in the net. These were good selections.

If Draper didn't score 20 this year, there wouldn't be as big of an uproar. You're dismissing Primeau because of one good year--he's been a hoss all season, not just the playoffs--but you are justifying Draper because of one good year. You can't have it both ways.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Dr Love said:
If Draper didn't score 20 this year, there wouldn't be as big of an uproar. You're dismissing Primeau because of one good year--he's been a hoss all season, not just the playoffs--but you are justifying Draper because of one good year. You can't have it both ways.

Draper would have made this team even if he hadnt had his breakout offensive season. The reason Draper is on the team is because he really opened eyes LAST year at the World Championships. Draper is not on this team becuase he scored this year. He is on the team becuase he is a terrific defensive center. So you cant use the "one good year" theory with him.

And like I said...Primeau will be there. So relax.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Higgy4 said:
I'll say it again. You Team Canada fans are going to love watching Draper and Maltby (and Doan, for that matter) kill penalties.

I am biased a bit, obviously. But those 2 are widely acknowledged for being one of the best (if not THE best) penalty killing tandem in the NHL.

Kariya is not that great of a penalty killer...he is coming off his worst season...AND there are still numerous questions surrounding his health. I love Paul Kariya too...I really like the way he plays. But he isnt a "safe" pick this time around.

I think Primeau will make it on the squad one way or another, so everyone upset about that one needs to chill for a bit. I think he'll be on the roster eventually.

But I really think alot of you are selling Draper and Maltby short. They played last year in the World Championships together with Doan, and from all accounts were very, very dominant. Not that they scored a ton of goals, mind you. But they shut down the opposition. Thats what Gretzky wanted. This isnt an ALLSTAR game people. Its a tournament. You need guys that fit roles. And Draper and Maltby fit a great role for Team Canada.

I agree, just give the team a chance before we start the criticism. Gretzky has fielded a team that has won Gold in his only attempt. i don't see how this year sould be any different. I wouldn't blame a Canada loss on the team, but moreso on the tough competition this year. The majority of the countries involved have built excellent teams, let's wait and see how it all pans out. But I personally like Canada's team. You can't make a team of pure talent, ask the Rangers. Our scoring will come from the likes of Sakic, Heatley, Iginla, Gagné, Lemieux, Yzerman, Thronton ...etc. We don't need to roll four scoring lines. The Draper, Maltby and Doan line will be utilized solely as a checking line and penalty kill unit. We should be happy with what we have. Other countries would love to use the guys we have on our roster, so be proud to be Canadian!

joe_shannon_1983*

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think that's the case at all. Since you can only send one team, and other countries have similar quality when you consider their best possible players, Canada isn't always the favorite. Take the WJC's this year. The U.S. was considered by many to be the favorite and in fact won the tournament.

You said that even if you consider a countries best possible player, Canada isn't always the favourite.

Then you mention the WJC's and about how U.S.A. was favourite.

The fact is, Canada didn't send it's best possible players to the WJC's. Nash, Bouwmeester, Horton, Stall, Bergeron, etc., were all vacant from that roster.

Now the U.S.A. might have been missing players too, but not to the near same degree that Canada was.

If Canada would have had all their best players at their disposal, they probably would have been the favourites.

I want to make clear that I am not trying to make excuse for Canada's loss here. I am only trying to make clear that if Canada could have sent it's best players at the WJC's, they probably would have been the favourites.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Team Canada will not be easy to play against for anyone. Draper and Maltby re-enforce that. I think Yzerman will not go, so that spot will open up for someone. I hope it is NOT Primeau, but after the Flyer playoff run, he will probably get the nod. He can be a force, but he not so gifted as he is big. He is largely a CLOD. If not for his playoff performance no one would even mention him.

Kariya is the opposite of Primeau, very skilled but soft. So i don't mind him not being there.

I think Bertuzzi would be there without a doubt if not for The Incident.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

If I wanted penalty killers, I would have gone with Madden and Peca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad