Gretzky For Commissioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
I think maybe its time that the league brings in someone full time, to watch over the state of the game, on and off the ice. He could be the CPO (chief product officer) or something like that. Someone with a good background in hockey and can work with and in a joint group of other hockey minds to keep the product good, and find creative ways to help market the game.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Wetcoaster said:
Like Bud Selig???

No, like Wayne Gretzky, wise guy.

I did say 'may impede'.

Just giving the fellow an opinion with less sarcasm than you realized.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
kerrly said:
I think maybe its time that the league brings in someone full time, to watch over the state of the game, on and off the ice. He could be the CPO (chief product officer) or something like that. Someone with a good background in hockey and can work with and in a joint group of other hockey minds to keep the product good, and find creative ways to help market the game.

They had this position before. They used to call it "Commissioner" or something. :joker:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
arnie said:
Respected? Wayne is a whiney little twerp he whores around selling his name shilling for anyone who offers him a few bucks. How could anyone respect him.

Not only that, but his bloodsucker father is even more replusive.

WTF?

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
The only way Gretz should be allowed to take the commissionership of the NHL is if McSorley and Semenko are hired as his "Attitude Adjustment Squad."

But seriously folks, Gretzky would be an improvement over Bettman in one big, important way: As an ambassador of The Game. Wayne Gretzky singing the virtues of NHL hockey is a hell of a lot more appealing to the masses than the Ice Weasel. Does that make him a good candidate for commish? Of course it doesn't -- if Gretzky was commissioner, we'd be at 4-on-4 with no goalies in three seasons. But it's an important facet of the job that Bettman will never, ever be able to handle with success, because he's a black hole of charisma.

HckyFght*

99 as comish, would complete the transition from NHL hockey, to the ice capades. Why not put'm all in tootoo's and score the game on style points...Super star players rarely make good coaches or business men, mostly because their talents are, for the most part, God-given, they don't know what it's like for the other half who have to struggle and compromise and sacrifice to get ahead. They do struggle and sacrifice, don't get me wrong, but not the way their teammates do. Bowman was a great coach cuz he got knocked in the head as a minor leaguer and never realized his dream, so he had to find another way. Michael Jordan is another good example. Could MJ really relate to a guy who struggles with fundamentals? No.

-HckyFght!

puck_it

Jan 4, 2005
In response to the selig comment:
uhhh selig was acting commish until he sold his team share, then he was given the commish title.

and in response tot he whole Gretzky for Commish idea:

he may have a great eye for hockey (see his Exectuive director of Team Canada record), but a staunch negotiator he is not. Gary is pretty damn shrewd. he was great back in the basketball crap in the early 80s and stands firm today. has he lost some touch? probably. i dont know who would be a be a better replacement though.

Crazy Lunatic

hackey said:
Gretzky is not tough enough. He will be eaten alive in active negotiations. When it comes down to it... do you really think the NHLPA gives a damn who the commish is? they will lay the boots down regardless because its business not personal.

The best ideal person would be Burke. He can stand toe to toe with any hardnose moron. He has the emotion and smarts and he is a deal maker and not a "me me" boot licker like Bettman.

Burke is awful. He's the idiot that decided to enforce the crease rule with instant replay. Remember, the absolute dumbest rule in the history of pro sports? It ruined the 1999 Stanley Cup (and the 1999 season for that matter).

NewBreed19

Gretzky for Commissioner? I think he will coach the coyotes,and leave commissioner for some other poor, unfortunate sole. He doesn't like conflict. :)

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Yes, he did such a great job as the chief negotiator in the 1994 deal for the NHL. :lol

Burke has to be one of the worst negotiators ever seen if you look at his history and how contract negotiations blew up whenever he became involved. Being stubborn and opinionated is not enough, you have to have some skills and he does not.

He wasn't the only one involved in those negs back then. but if you are giving him 100% credit, then more power to him.

Burke was the asst. to Bettman and he did not have the final say in anything, so how can you pin the blame on him? The 24 or whatever collective owners folded when they gave away to the pressure. All Burke did was he presented them the best proposal at that time. He did not shove it down their throats. :lol:

Last edited:

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Crosbyfan said:
They had this position before. They used to call it "Commissioner" or something. :joker:

Let the commisioner handle the business side of things and have someone else run the hockey aspect. You can't expect one person to be a genious in all aspects. That isn't easy to find. I'm not a fan of the way Bettman has handled the game, and its obvious, that his knowledge of it wasn't that great when he was first employed. I believe something like this is needed for the game to take a leap forward. A full time guy to watch over all aspects of how the game is being played, and marketed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad