Gretzky comments on the lockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Our glorious and benevolent leader has commented on the lockout. He figures this could go 2 years. Many people think he's a guy who can extend an olive branch to both sides, yet he stays out of it. Frankly, I don't blame him.

story: CBC

I'm not calling both sides stupid.... ok I am... but if it lasts two years, all the caps, revenue sharing, endorsement deals that they're trying to divide up (in an unequal fashion) will be largely irrelevant. Sticking your chin up in the air or your head in the sand is not the best way to handle this. When regular fans IN CANADA continue to say they are surprised by how little they miss hockey alarm bells should go off.

Right now the players remind me of Latrell Sprewell commenting that the contract offer he received of $30 million over three years was insulting. He did say he has a family to feed, so I guess he's justified. If he isn't the poster child for what's wrong with pro sports nobody is. Chokes his coach and still gets to play in the NBA?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
HF2002 said:
Our glorious and benevolent leader has commented on the lockout. He figures this could go 2 years. Many people think he's a guy who can extend an olive branch to both sides, yet he stays out of it. Frankly, I don't blame him.

I agree with Gretzky that it could go to 2 years. From the players side, they are asked for a drastic cutback on what they have at the moment. It is only prudent to test the will of the owners before agreeing to it. To those of you who trust the same person to tell you there is a problem and charge you to fix it, I am sure you car mechanic loves you ;) From the owners perspective, they will stand firm if the situation is as dire as they claim. So, there are only two possibilities for lockout to end quickly: a) the players do not go all the way to test the owners resolve (for whatever reason, lack of solidarity, or simply the desire to get back on the ice) b) the owners exaggerated the financial troubles of the league, or would be willing to consider a different solution to this problem.

HF2002 said:
I'm not calling both sides stupid.... ok I am... but if it lasts two years, all the caps, revenue sharing, endorsement deals that they're trying to divide up (in an unequal fashion) will be largely irrelevant. Sticking your chin up in the air or your head in the sand is not the best way to handle this. When regular fans IN CANADA continue to say they are surprised by how little they miss hockey alarm bells should go off.

I am not sure if this should worry me as a fan. On the contrary, I am quite excited because trying to get back into the fans graces will force the NHL to lower the ticket prices and, most important, improve the quality of the game. As wierd as it sounds, the fans have a lot to gain from a long lockout.

HF2002 said:
Right now the players remind me of Latrell Sprewell commenting that the contract offer he received of $30 million over three years was insulting. He did say he has a family to feed, so I guess he's justified. If he isn't the poster child for what's wrong with pro sports nobody is. Chokes his coach and still gets to play in the NBA?

I am no fan of the NBA, or Sprewell. But I would agree with him on one point: the compensation is a reflection of the others opinion of your worth. So, it can be insulting if it is too low compared to what *you* think of your worth. Of course "family to feed" is complete BS. Anyhow, let's all remember that what's happening between NHL and NHLPA is strictly business and in no way personal. Both Bettman and Goodenow are looking for a larger slice of the pie for their people. Too bad the fans do not have somebody like that on their side.

SENSible1*

From the article.

Gretzky also reiterated his support of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in the labour impasse. Bettman has argued the league needs a salary cap in the new collective bargaining agreement.

"We want to play. We want to get back out there," Gretzky said. "But the other side of it is we back the commissioner 100 per cent, unequivocally, what he's doing and the process he's going through."

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
From the article."we back the commissioner 100 per cent, unequivocally, what he's doing and the process he's going through."

Finnally Gretzky has spoke,now we need Mario to say something...IMO because Mario still plays he could start a revolt agains't Goodenow with about 5 words!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mario Lemieux won't say anything that will make anyone happy.

The guys who are going to make a difference are the owners who know that the 2nd half of the season makes a positive difference on their bottome line, and whoever shares the opinion of Mike Commodore.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
nyr7andcounting said:
Well he does own a team doesn't he? What do you expect him to say?
He could have said nothing. Instead he made a comment that he fully supports the leagues position. I don't think the league can force any owner to make a comment if they don't want to...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand that gretzky is now a part owner, but IMO the fact that Gretzky refuses to get involved at all in the process takes a bit of the shine off "The Great One" IMO.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
I understand that gretzky is now a part owner, but IMO the fact that Gretzky refuses to get involved at all in the process takes a bit of the shine off "The Great One" IMO.

I agree. What kind of owner doesnt want to get involved in some aspect of this breakdown? Perhaps his ownership share was based purely on goodwill and no $$$?

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:

Putting his 100% support behind Bettman and his actions is getting involved in the process.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Mario Lemieux won't say anything that will make anyone happy.

The guys who are going to make a difference are the owners who know that the 2nd half of the season makes a positive difference on their bottome line, and whoever shares the opinion of Mike Commodore.

The owners will not cave on the cost linkage issue. Owners are in this for the long term and once they get their cost linkage system the value of their hockey teams will go up substantially - more than enough to compensate for any losses that a select few teams would be making if hockey was being played right now.

There is only one solution to this stalmate. Players have to speak
out against Goodenow and tell him they are prepared to negotiate within a cost linkage system. The players have a chance to be heros or goats - the choice is theirs - it's that simple.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

If Gretzky came out and said everything that he really believes then Goodenow would jump all over him for having a short memory. Gretzky can't win no matter what he says. If you read between the lines of what he did tactfully say - you read that the players have to give in on the cost linkage issue if they hope to play hockey again within the next 2 years.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
eye said:
If Gretzky came out and said everything that he really believes then Goodenow would jump all over him for having a short memory. Gretzky can't win no matter what he says. If you read between the lines of what he did tactfully say - you read that the players have to give in on the cost linkage issue if they hope to play hockey again within the next 2 years.

I'm not saying that Gretzky has to publicly come out and make a very public stand, but get involved in the process.

It might even help get a deal done. I'm not saying that the players and NHLPA will accept everything Gretzky says as gospel, but there is a far better chance that the players would listen to something coming from Gretzky, than Karmonos, or Jacobs.

IMO Gretzky wants to stay out of the whole mess, so that he can have his cake and eat it too. I think he fears that if he becomes too actively involved on the ownership side it could tarnish his image among NHL players and some fans.

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:
I'm not saying that Gretzky has to publicly come out and make a very public stand, but get involved in the process.

Gretzky did take a VERY PUBLIC STAND that he is 100% behind Bettman's position.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Thunderstruck said:

Funny I listened that entire interview and I never heard Gretzky say this, as a matter of fact the tone I got is he isn't to happy with the commish

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:

It looks better in print than it did while watching the interview. Gretzky's comments on the interview have absolutly no bearing on the negotiations. Now if he got involved, you never know what would happen ...... as a hockey fan you'd like to think he'd make more of an effort.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
vanlady said:
Funny I listened that entire interview and I never heard Gretzky say this, as a matter of fact the tone I got is he isn't to happy with the commish

This is directly from the article...

Gretzky also reiterated his support of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in the labour impasse. Bettman has argued the league needs a salary cap in the new collective bargaining agreement.

"We want to play. We want to get back out there," Gretzky said. "But the other side of it is we back the commissioner 100 per cent, unequivocally, what he's doing and the process he's going through."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/01/02/Sports/wayne_gretzky050102.html

That does not sound like he has any problem with what Bettman and the rest of the owners are trying to do...

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
It wouldn't be the first time you ignored a fact that was inconvenient for your position.

Check the link and then get back to me.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What more can Gretzky say without gettig fined?? There is a gag order on the owners........

I think he handled things the way we'd expect a guy like Gretzky to handle them. He didn't spout off against his leader & at the same time he stuck a little food for thought in the players pipes that this time the owners ain't caving even though they see what it's doing to the game and their own fanbase......

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Gretzky is too involved to get involved...

by that I mean he is in Ownership for a Team and has close ties to the players, on one hand that might make him impartial, or it might not seeing as he is no longer a player but an owner.

Gretzky said in an Interview earlier in the year that this isn't a problem for Gretzky to fix but for Bob & Gary to fix and no matter which side you are on I think one could respect that.

sigh... the whole situation is sad.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Keep in mind that while Gretz is "The Great One" for us fans and the players, from an ownership standpoint he's relatively small potatoes. He's a minority owner and has much less at stake in this fight than most of his peers. So, while I'm sure it would behoove ownership to listen to him - if for no other reason postive PR - Wayne probably doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with the BOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->