gretzky 2005 nhl draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
182 points in 63 games with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds followed by 26 points in 13 playoff games.

No doubt Gretz would go first overall. None at all.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
neg marron said:
that's just it forget gretzky as a hhof the greatest etc treat him based solely on what he did in junior in this regard his pro career(WHA/NHL) is irrelevant

He'd still go first overall no doubt.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
VanIslander said:
182 points in 63 games with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds followed by 26 points in 13 playoff games.

No doubt Gretz would go first overall. None at all.
Yeah, Sid had a superior year, but not quite like Gretzky's.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
well, 182 points in 64 games isn't a whole lot better than Crosby's 168 in 62. I think a lot of people would be making the argument about physical play. I think their height and weight are about the same, but Crosby seems to be a more physical player than the Gretzky i remember (I never saw him in his younger days, but i'm going to assume). Weren't there a lot of people questioning Gretzky's skinnyness when he came into pro hockey? I can only imagine what they'd say about such a scrawny kid coming into today's NHL.

Gretzky would obviously be the right choice, but I'm not sure it would be such an easy decision

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
arrbez said:
well, 182 points in 64 games isn't a whole lot better than Crosby's 168 in 62. I think a lot of people would be making the argument about physical play. I think their height and weight are about the same, but Crosby seems to be a more physical player than the Gretzky i remember (I never saw him in his younger days, but i'm going to assume). Weren't there a lot of people questioning Gretzky's skinnyness when he came into pro hockey? I can only imagine what they'd say about such a scrawny kid coming into today's NHL.

Gretzky would obviously be the right choice, but I'm not sure it would be such an easy decision

Gretzky was voted best forward at the WJC's as a 16 year old, something Crosby has failed to do as a 16 or 17 year old.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Parise dominated the WJC a couple years ago and wasn't taken untill the 17th pick in the draft. I'm certain he would have been taken earlier if he was 2 or 3 inches taller.

obviously it's different situations, but I would never underestimate the incompetance of NHL gm's when judging size over talent...

I'm not saying Gretzky wouldn't still be taken first, I'm just not sure it would be so cut and dry

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
arrbez said:
Parise dominated the WJC a couple years ago and wasn't taken untill the 17th pick in the draft. I'm certain he would have been taken earlier if he was 2 or 3 inches taller.

Parise didn't domintae the WJC's 2 years ago. In fact he wasn't even much of a factor in either the semi's or the finals.

They were also the year after he was drafted, not prior.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
John Flyers Fan said:
Parise didn't domintae the WJC's 2 years ago. In fact he wasn't even much of a factor in either the semi's or the finals.

They were also the year after he was drafted, not prior.

well...ok, but how about the ones 3 years ago? didn't he lead the tourny in scoring that year (and wasn't it the winter before he was drafted?).

anyways, wasn't he tournament mvp 2 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad