Player Discussion: Greiss is the word - appreciation thread

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
There's not enough room for Greiss. If we were out a playoff spot by the deadline he would have made good trade bait. We'll save a little cap room when he leaves as well. I don't think he'll have issues finding a new team.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Unless Varlamov suffers a devastating injury, Greiss tenure with the Islanders is over. Most probably we seen him last time 2 days ago – barring a relieve (hope not), or a spare (ok with that).

He will be fine, he's good enough to land a starting job, hopefully somewhere in the West. Great guy and great soldier, but Lou decided to redraw our goaltending in his own vision.

Reactions: buud

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
Is there any way to sign Greiss to a friendly terms and leave him exposed to the expansion draft (in a kind of back door deal) enticing the Kraken to select him (if they have interest and that's even allowed)? Or am I dreaming/totally off base? I know it's probably off base.

I'm not trying to diminish what Greiss has done here. As other's have acknowledged, he's been a true asset, and one of the few who we can say that about in net these past several years, but his time on the Island has passed after this year, given Sorokin's signing, for better or worse.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Is there any way to sign Greiss to a friendly terms and leave him exposed to the expansion draft (in a kind of back door deal) enticing the Kraken to select him (if they have interest and that's even allowed)? Or am I dreaming/totally off base? I know it's probably off base.

I'm not trying to diminish what Greiss has done here. As other's have acknowledged, he's been a true asset, and one of the few who we can say that about in net these past several years, but his time on the Island has passed after this year, given Sorokin's signing, for better or worse.
Greiss isn't going to sign some sort of sweetheart deal to stay, not play, and make a fraction of what he could on the open market.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
We have Sorokin and Varlamov under contract. Greiss wouldn’t sign here even if we tried, which we never would right now. It will be sad to see him go. But his time here has come to an end.

10 years ago we had Yann Danis and Joey McDonald play 80 games with Peter Mannino as a the call up. Now we have 3 goalies and we will watch the best of the 3 just walk away . Only in Islander Country ..

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
There's not enough room for Greiss. If we were out a playoff spot by the deadline he would have made good trade bait. We'll save a little cap room when he leaves as well. I don't think he'll have issues finding a new team.
Just had to "Griess" the wheels huh? Let Varmint go to Seattle.....

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Unless Varlamov suffers a devastating injury, Greiss tenure with the Islanders is over. Most probably we seen him last time 2 days ago – barring a relieve (hope not), or a spare (ok with that).

He will be fine, he's good enough to land a starting job, hopefully somewhere in the West. Great guy and great soldier, but Lou decided to redraw our goaltending in his own vision.
I can "Gilooly" his knee if you want....lol

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Idc if he’s on the Leafs or Rangers next season, I wish Thomas Greiss nothing but the best. Guy’s been a warrior for us for 5 years and got a shutout in the biggest game this franchise has played in 27 years. I hope he gets paid bank.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
He’s been great last few games. No way Barry starts varly, he always talks about taking the hot hand approach, well here you go.

I hope Thomas is able to Bobrovsky some team next year :naughty:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You go with the hot hand in the playoffs. Start Greiss until he has a poor showing now. That's how this goes.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Greiss is perhaps the absolute perfect goalie to play 30 games behind Sorokin. He's an unflappable robot who can jump in cold as ice and shut a team out. I know we have Varly on his long term deal but its a shame because Greiss fits that bill better than anyone.
Varmint going to Seattle,I'm driving the armored car....with an American flag on the back!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
10 years ago we had Yann Danis and Joey McDonald play 80 games with Peter Mannino as a the call up. Now we have 3 goalies and we will watch the best of the 3 just walk away . Only in Islander Country ..
You have scouted Sorokin and think he is a fraud? Your post, only in Islander Country.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
You have scouted Sorokin and think he is a fraud? Your post, only in Islander Country.

even if he turns out to be the cats meow I don’t see it being from day 1. So a fraud of course not , why would you even go that far? However let’s also remember that one of the most feared scorers in the KHL has been Nigel Dawes.
I hope Soro will be great the greatest even but I believe he will have to catch up to the speed of he North American game . LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->