Gregg McKegg/Colby Robak/Jake Allen... What can you tell me about these 3 prospects?

Seguins Dragon*

I was curious what you can tell me about these prospects...Gregg McKegg/Colby Robak/Jake Allen.

What are their upside?
Who do they compare to?
Where do you see them in the NHL? (ie- 1st line forward, 2nd line forward ect...)

I have found a bit on McKegg but would like more... I haven't seen much about Robak or Allen though, so any insight on those 2 espically would be awesome.

Thanks.

PietroOshieLo*

Allen started off really hot in the AHL this year before dropping a bit these last couple of months. If all works as expected, he'll take over for Halak on the goalie-chart after some years.

Madic

May 21, 2008
McKegg is a top 6 type probably without top line potential. Best offensive attribute is his shot. Good hands and vision to go along, hence the big numbers, but doesn't have that flair or dash that will have you noticing him every shift. Biggest weakness likely his first few steps, really doesn't have that extra gear, will need to work on it, given that he's only average sized. Strong on his legs though, especially around the net. Decent prospect.

CoolburnIsGone

Robak I know a little about but no expert. I'd say upside is a top 4 d-man with the possibility of putting 30-40 pts up each yr. It really will depend on if he improves his shot though as he's pretty inaccurate and inconsistent with it. He also needs to gain some strength and use his size better to reach that potential. I hate doing comparisons so I wont do that but right now, I think he ends up as a #5 d-man but will get time on the PP.

Seguins Dragon*

Allen started off really hot in the AHL this year before dropping a bit these last couple of months. If all works as expected, he'll take over for Halak on the goalie-chart after some years.

McKegg is a top 6 type probably without top line potential. Best offensive attribute is his shot. Good hands and vision to go along, hence the big numbers, but doesn't have that flair or dash that will have you noticing him every shift. Biggest weakness likely his first few steps, really doesn't have that extra gear, will need to work on it, given that he's only average sized. Strong on his legs though, especially around the net. Decent prospect.

Robak I know a little about but no expert. I'd say upside is a top 4 d-man with the possibility of putting 30-40 pts up each yr. It really will depend on if he improves his shot though as he's pretty inaccurate and inconsistent with it. He also needs to gain some strength and use his size better to reach that potential. I hate doing comparisons so I wont do that but right now, I think he ends up as a #5 d-man but will get time on the PP.

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Do most people here believe Allen CAN be a number 1 goalie in time?... When should he be a fulltime nhler?.. 3 years?
Robak can play on the 2nd unit for a D pair?.. when do you expect Robak to be a fulltime NHLer?... 2 years?
McKegg should be a 2nd liner, what about him being an NHL regular?... 2-3 years?

CoolburnIsGone

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Do most people here believe Allen CAN be a number 1 goalie in time?... When should he be a fulltime nhler?.. 3 years?
Robak can play on the 2nd unit for a D pair?.. when do you expect Robak to be a fulltime NHLer?... 2 years?
McKegg should be a 2nd liner, what about him being an NHL regular?... 2-3 years?
Yeah I'd say at least 2 yrs before Robak is close to being a regular in the NHL. The problem is that Florida now has some decent depth and the question is where he fits into Dale Tallon's plans.

I think Florida's future defense is already taking shape with Kulikov, Ellerby and Gudbranson next yr but Tallon is probably going to go after a d-man in free agency. If he signs one of the big names to a long term deal, that'll impact how soon Robak will be a regular and what pairing he could be on. Also Alex Petrovic could also impact what happens with Robak with FL as he's developed pretty well this yr. At this point, I say no Robak wont be on the 2nd unit but thats if he remains with FL.

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax
Awesome, thanks guys!!

i think thats the consensus on the leafs board. another year in junior, full year with the marlies, then maybe injury callups in his 2nd pro year

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
seen a lot of robak this year with rochester....good two-way defenseman, skates well, good passer, but i think his strongest asset is his positioning and intelligence. he almost never gets caught out of position and seems to always make the right play. this is also evidenced by only 14 PIM thru 68 games. he is a -15, but if you look at that team overall, you might be able to see why.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
Agree with things said about McKegg, definitely has TOP6 potential, around 3 years before he becomes full time NHLer. Allen can become #1 goalie, but I'm not one of believers. I see him as 1B max, or journeyman starter. Robak has potential of good 2nd pairing defender and might play 1st PP unit with Kulikov in a few years. He's got great skating and hockey IQ, his shot isn't great, but he's great passer. Surely he must get better in his own zone, but which young defender doesn't... Combine it with pathetic Panthers team with close to zero depth (Kulikov is only defender with bigger offensive upside) and you've got great sleeper. He needs another year in AHL but he can surprise lots of people year after that.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I've followed Mckegg this year closer then i have with any other prospect. Was drafted 2nd overall into the OHL in 2008. Went in the third round of the NHL draft because of a weak rookie season, and the belief that his foot speed was not up to par. According to his coach this season, his speed has improved dramatically, very smart player, great leader, is captain of his team. Should be an nhl player in 2 years.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Greg McKegg has very similar overall game and junior numbers to Brad Boyes.

That would be his upside in my opinion.

CoolburnIsGone

Robak has potential of good 2nd pairing defender and might play 1st PP unit with Kulikov in a few years. He's got great skating and hockey IQ, his shot isn't great, but he's great passer. Surely he must get better in his own zone, but which young defender doesn't... Combine it with pathetic Panthers team with close to zero depth (Kulikov is only defender with bigger offensive upside) and you've got great sleeper. He needs another year in AHL but he can surprise lots of people year after that.
This is just flat out wrong. Gudbranson has a MUCH higher upside to Robak. Also then factor in the depth of top 4 d-men like Ellerby and Garrison (already in the NHL) plus the emergence of Petrovic (better defensively and has shown more offense this yr in WHL). There's a chance that Robak isnt a 2nd pairing defender because of that depth. Also keep in mind that he's not a guy drafted by Tallon so who knows if he's valued as being part of the core for the rebuild. Then you're also forgetting that FL has a ton of money to spend this offseason and probably will overpay someone to a long term contract meaning that there just wont be any room for him in the NHL.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Agree with things said about McKegg, definitely has TOP6 potential, around 3 years before he becomes full time NHLer. Allen can become #1 goalie, but I'm not one of believers. I see him as 1B max, or journeyman starter. Robak has potential of good 2nd pairing defender and might play 1st PP unit with Kulikov in a few years. He's got great skating and hockey IQ, his shot isn't great, but he's great passer. Surely he must get better in his own zone, but which young defender doesn't... Combine it with pathetic Panthers team with close to zero depth (Kulikov is only defender with bigger offensive upside) and you've got great sleeper. He needs another year in AHL but he can surprise lots of people year after that.

Gudbranson, Ellerby, Petrovic, and Comrie, together with Kulikov and Gudbranson. That is the best young defense-core in the league, together with Nashville. Your comment is just so horribly wrong.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
This is just flat out wrong. Gudbranson has a MUCH higher upside to Robak. Also then factor in the depth of top 4 d-men like Ellerby and Garrison (already in the NHL) plus the emergence of Petrovic (better defensively and has shown more offense this yr in WHL). There's a chance that Robak isnt a 2nd pairing defender because of that depth. Also keep in mind that he's not a guy drafted by Tallon so who knows if he's valued as being part of the core for the rebuild. Then you're also forgetting that FL has a ton of money to spend this offseason and probably will overpay someone to a long term contract meaning that there just wont be any room for him in the NHL.

Gudbranson might have higher all-around upside, but offensively he's miles behind Robak. They are not comparable players. Same goes for Ellerby and Garrison - they're solid but don't posses offensive upside Robak does. I like Petrovic, but he's got another year or two in WHL before he becomes pro. Of course lots of things might happen, Florida might overpay someone and Tallon proved he doesn't shy of making crazy moves, but I believe Robak will become what I wrote - on Florida or anywhere else.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
Gudbranson, Ellerby, Petrovic, and Comrie, together with Kulikov and Gudbranson. That is the best young defense-core in the league, together with Nashville. Your comment is just so horribly wrong.

Don't doubt Kulikov, but you're saying, that Gudbranson, Ellerby, Petrovic and Comrie are all better than Robak? Don't mentioning that every prospect actually doesn't pan out. Best young defense-core in the league, together with Nashville? Yes, same as current Florida's offense is best offense in the league, together with Vancouver :laugh:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't say that, Weaver's deal is up in one year, and who knows how long Garrison will be around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad