Line Combos: Greening should play / Ceci shouldn't

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
When it comes to Ceci's poor SAT/Rel/60 number, I think this is a case of the numbers not telling the whole story.

Ceci has looked really good this series. I don't get the hate. I've been impressed with his play.

Have you watched hockey in the last year? Ceci has been horrible this series and average for most of the season. Of course it must be hard for him to go from playing with a steady veteran defensemen like Philips on a 3rd pair to play on a 2nd pair with tougher matchups with Gongshow Wiercioch.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
No because Anderson was a top goalie in the NHL prior to getting hurt

Fair enough, still think the fact that he hasn't played much doesn't do anything. The problem is mostly that there isn't any space for him to draw in. I'm sure he'd bring his A game if he had a chance to play in the playoffs and he'd make it tough on Montreal's guys. Don't get me wrong, I wuldn't take anyone out of the linuep for him at the moment.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Been saying it for years.

Cowen=power forward
Greening= two way top 4 dman

open your eyes people

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
Greening hasn't played enough this year to be put in a playoff situation, and when he as played he's been decent at best

He was great last time, that's why he got the contract he did, but that was last time

I wish Sens fans in general stopped living in the past, Greening isn't going to be an Ottawa Senator for much longer, better to focus on playing players who will be

I don't think Neil will be an Ottawa Senator for much longer either.

MacArthur -Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Condra - Pageau - Lazar
Greening - Smith - Michalek

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Gryba
Borowiecki - Wideman

I think this lineup gives us the best chance to win, which is the point of this thread. You're welcome to disagree with me, but I'm just pointing out that Ceci has been terrible and Neil - while he provides a physical element - doesn't have the possession stats Greening has. Greening was 6th OVERALL for the Senators during the regular season. He wasn't scoring and he likely won't but so what. In the playoffs it's all about playing in the opponents end and wearing their defensemen out.

Ceci may be our 2nd best RD, but he's been terrible in the playoffs. I think he's injured and it's time to take a chance with the best AHL defensemen. Someone who scored 61 points and 19 goals this season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't see on what you can base the thought that he might be able to bring his A game when he's never been able to all season long

Weircioch - Gryba, upon further reflexion over the last couple of days, seems like a good idea in terms of puck management but awful at skating

I'm not sure it's such a good idea

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Cowen was a beast last series again the habs. Would not be upset if he was in for Gryba/Boro. They're a tough pair to watch.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wier-Gryba would be one of the slowest pairing for acceleration in the league. At least Boro is a decent skater

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
Wier-Gryba would be one of the slowest pairing for acceleration in the league. At least Boro is a decent skater

I'm not sure an injured Ceci is much faster than a healthy Gryba. Personally I'm more concerned with the ability to move the puck up to the forwards. Wiercioch can do that.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm not sure an injured Ceci is much faster than a healthy Gryba. Personally I'm more concerned with the ability to move the puck up to the forwards. Wiercioch can do that.

I just see visions of dmen being slow to get to corner or slow to get back in front of the net

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Greening should never play a NHL game again.

One of our other LDs playing on their off side isn't going be better than Ceci, who hasn't played nearly as poorly as this thread suggests. He's getting tough matchups and does nearly all the defensive leg work when paired with Wier because he's usually too slow to man up on anyone.

Terrible ideas all around.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Advanced stats are such a waste of time

Anyone with eyes can tell that Greening is not an NHL quality player and that Ceci is a quality defenseman that is holding his pairing together.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Hoffman - Pageau - Michalek
Condra - Z. Smith - Lazar/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boroweicki - Gryba/Wiercioch

Anderson - Hammond

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes, Wiercioch can pass the puck, and carry it up the ice, much better than Gryba; however, he is too slow and gets beaten to the puck by virtually all forwards, plus he is weak physically, so he is a defensive liability in his zone, as also are Cowen and Gryba who are too slow. The slowness of those three Dmen are one of the major reasons that other teams tend to out-shoot the Senators on a regular basis. The Senators need to upgrade the speed of their Dmen. One and preferably two of the slow Dmen need to be replaced.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Greening is average at every area of his game (i know people will say below average but for the sake of argument). If we are bringing in a player to play it is because he provides an element this team is lacking. Greening in over chiasson seems like a lateral move at best. Greening over anyone else is just stupid. Now the question becomes should greening have first shot at getting in the lineup if we remove chiasson. Over legwand sure (unless legwand is coming in for smith since having both in the lineup means one of them is a winger and they suck on the wing). Over Neil im not sure since neil provides hitting and frankly distracts the other team. Greening over chiasson i can get behind but i rather stick with the guy that has been in the lineup. If chiasson is coming out of the lineup then i want neil in because he actually adds a different element to the team which would be considered needed if chiasson is comeing out of the lineup

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wah is dis thread gwan deya?

Ceci was beastly last game and set up our winner with terrific play in game 4 to keep it in and spot Hoff. Almost scored a couple times this series too.

He's been fine, saying he needs to come out is ludicrous. I wouldnt mind Cowen for Gryba though but Gryba picked up his game as of late.

I agree that Cowen was beautiful vs Montreal last series but was terrible vs Habs. Oh man Cowen-Gonch was disaster

After Chiasson big game last game you don't bring him out for a guy like Greening who you don't know how he'll do.

Smith and Chiasson were good together. Milo too on that line keep it that way.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't see on what you can base the thought that he might be able to bring his A game when he's never been able to all season long

Weircioch - Gryba, upon further reflexion over the last couple of days, seems like a good idea in terms of puck management but awful at skating

I'm not sure it's such a good idea

it worked awesome in the AHL when it was full of guys like RNH and Hall

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Personally, I think these games are too valuable to Ceci's development to think about pulling him. It's a learning experience for him right now, and he needs to see a healthy helping of playoff hockey if he wants to know which gear he needs to find as he gets older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad