Value of: Greening, Michalek, Laich

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Any takers at 50%?

Just no. These guys have more value to the Leafs than anywhere else. The last thing we want to do is just give the NHL roster spots to guys who are not really ready for it. And lets even argue that is exactly what you want. What if there is an injury? Do you really want to have to call up other kids who are DEFINITELY not ready to fill in those roles? No, the answer is a quick no.

The only way we move these guys is at the deadline to teams who need cheap (trade value wise) players to fill in bottom line roles or in a Winnik-Laich deal to a team for a similar contract who is worthless (waived and not playing) where we give them a player they will use for one they won't and a draft pick or other asset.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Greening and Robidas for Dan Girard.

Good veteran and great locker room presence for a young group, albeit overpaid for what he now brings on the ice. At the very least, DG provides what Robidas would have.

Rangers place Robidas on LTIR and use the extra $$ where they need it. Use Greening instead of Tanner Glass as the back and fourth AHL guy on the 4th line. Greening at least has wheels.

Grabs rolled up newspaper. NO! BAD!

Seriously, I'm sorry but NO ONE is taking Girardi's contract from you. The only chance you have is to take a similar long term bad contract hoping both players turn it around and improve both clubs.

Honestly the only way you move Girardi is by offering him to LA for Brown. And I doubt that helps you at all.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'd move Michalek @50% for a late pick to give more room for the kids, but I wouldnt move Greening or Laich. I'd try moving Greening at the deadline because he played well to finish last season, so maybe he can repeat that and have actual value. (Because he doesn't now)

Laich is a good mentor, and the Leafs dont really have any logjams at C, so no point in moving him.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
probably this.

greening,laich,michalek,hunwick should be able to get us a few mid rd picks at the deadline, and open up spots for a few rookies

Not all of them will go; but I agree that there will be some teams looking for depth value. Most likely to move would be Michalek and least likely would probs be Laich (pure pro; will stick around to help the kids learn to be professionals on and off the ice).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Honestly wouldn't mind him back to the Senators at the deadline if we're in a playoff position. I'm assuming it'd take a 3rd or less, and to bring back a familiar face who just so happens to fill one of the two biggest needs on the team (3rd line RW) at that price would be a good deal for Ottawa, imo.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
so a couple guys with expiring contracts for an anchor with 4 years left.

hard pass. girardi is terrible

He's a slow skating, stay at home, defensive defenseman, who can eat up minutes no different than Roman Polak. As said earlier in the post, there's an advantage to a developing team by having some veterans.

For a second I thought Dan Girard was some scrub prospect you were offering for greening and wanted to take robidas on as he can be put on LTIR. Than I realized that's Danny girardi. He's got what 5 years left. Sorry but that's a deal we can't and won't make. 1 year both these contracts are up, girardi will hurt our future by taking up cap space and being an able in a year or two.

Grabs rolled up newspaper. NO! BAD!

Seriously, I'm sorry but NO ONE is taking Girardi's contract from you. The only chance you have is to take a similar long term bad contract hoping both players turn it around and improve both clubs.

Honestly the only way you move Girardi is by offering him to LA for Brown. And I doubt that helps you at all.
I fully expect the Rangers to buyout Girardi if a deal can't be made by the August buyout period. This isn't necessarily for cap hit but instead because of the NMC/NTC which would require him to be covered during the expansion draft. Girardi would need to waive his NMC to accept a trade to the Leafs, this could make him exposable for the expansion draft if his M-NTC/NMC doesn't kick in until 7/1/17. After 7/1/17 Girardi has a M-NTC and a financially front loaded contract which could make him movable or even desirable to a team with an internal cap. That said, TML could make that decision in any of the final 3 years of his deal and base their decision off of the development of their young team and readiness of blueline prospects to take on a full time role.

I don't think DG's contract is as bad as people think it is. Many players which us fans saw as terrible and unmoveable contracts have been dealt.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
He's a slow skating, stay at home, defensive defenseman, who can eat up minutes no different than Roman Polak. As said earlier in the post, there's an advantage to a developing team by having some veterans.

I fully expect the Rangers to buyout Girardi if a deal can't be made by the August buyout period. This isn't necessarily for cap hit but instead because of the NMC/NTC which would require him to be covered during the expansion draft. Girardi would need to waive his NMC to accept a trade to the Leafs, this could make him exposable for the expansion draft if his M-NTC/NMC doesn't kick in until 7/1/17. After 7/1/17 Girardi has a M-NTC and a financially front loaded contract which could make him movable or even desirable to a team with an internal cap. That said, TML could make that decision in any of the final 3 years of his deal and base their decision off of the development of their young team and readiness of blueline prospects to take on a full time role.

I don't think DG's contract is as bad as people think it is. Many players which us fans saw as terrible and unmoveable contracts have been dealt.

If a team is looking at a potential buyout then the contract is bad. You make some ok points but not enough to be trapped with a potential bad contract and roster spot occupied by someone you don't want.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Honestly wouldn't mind him back to the Senators at the deadline if we're in a playoff position. I'm assuming it'd take a 3rd or less, and to bring back a familiar face who just so happens to fill one of the two biggest needs on the team (3rd line RW) at that price would be a good deal for Ottawa, imo.

Done. A third at deadline if you guys are in playoff spot and he gets to go back to sens.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Greening is not worth his money. Michalek is a way, way better player.

Greening might not be worth 2.6 mil, but he was a useful player on the leafs. He definitely upped his game when he was traded from Ottawa. I am not saying the guys is going to get 40pts, but most leaf fans like what they see from him and at 2.6 mil its not really a concern for us in the position we are in. He seems like a good vet on the team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Greening and Robidas for Dan Girard.

Good veteran and great locker room presence for a young group, albeit overpaid for what he now brings on the ice. At the very least, DG provides what Robidas would have.

Rangers place Robidas on LTIR and use the extra $$ where they need it. Use Greening instead of Tanner Glass as the back and fourth AHL guy on the 4th line. Greening at least has wheels.

So we lose Robidas' LTIR cap space...and trade Greening's one year at 2.6...and in return we recieve 4 years of Dan Girardi? There is zero incentive here for Toronto....Girardi is an absolute non starter.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anyone offering guys who have more then 1 year left needs to give their heads a shake.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let's run with an all rookie/youth lineup... it's worked out well for Edmonton.....

Ya who needs Michalek.... Former 6th overall 35 goal scorer, who is only 32 year old 6'3 plays both wings, can pk and pp moving up and down the lineup. Better off with 6 rookies.

Greening is worth his money, so if anybody wants a decent depth scorer at 2.6 he's there.

Laich and Michalek aren't going anywhere unless we take back *cringes* Pavelec.

Greening is absolutely horrible, Michalek is a MUCH better player and only 2 years older. Maybe some perspective that a 25 game sample size isnt enough. Food for thought leaf fans players did exist before the TML.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ya who needs Michalek.... Former 6th overall 35 goal scorer, who is only 32 year old 6'3 plays both wings, can pk and pp moving up and down the lineup. Better off with 6 rookies.

Greening is absolutely horrible, Michalek is a MUCH better player and only 2 years older. Maybe some perspective that a 25 game sample size isnt enough. Food for thought leaf fans players did exist before the TML.

Lol....respectable post, until this. Greening was useful in the role he was given last season with the Leafs. At 1 year 2.6, he isn't an issue....but ya, a healthy Michalek is the better player.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Greening is worth his money, so if anybody wants a decent depth scorer at 2.6 he's there.

Laich and Michalek aren't going anywhere unless we take back *cringes* Pavelec.

Funny how Greening was garbage with Ottawa, and after a few non-spectacular games with Toronto, he is now worth his 2.6 contract. Um... no. A few games in a Leaf uniform does not suddenly make him worth that contract, sorry to break it to you. The Sens have been trying to give Greening away for a long time with no takers. Why is it you think that him putting on a Leaf uniform suddenly changes that?

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Funny how Greening was garbage with Ottawa, and after a few non-spectacular games with Toronto, he is now worth his 2.6 contract. Um... no. A few games in a Leaf uniform does not suddenly make him worth that contract, sorry to break it to you. The Sens have been trying to give Greening away for a long time with no takers. Why is it you think that him putting on a Leaf uniform suddenly changes that?

I agree he has no value at this point. He played pretty well for the leafs but that doesn't instantly make him trade able after a short stint. I know the sens were trying to move him but I think the big difference will be hes on his final year of his contract and if he continues the way he has played for Toronto. There is no reason to believe the leafs couldn't trade him for a 4th round pick at the deadline to a team that has lost third or 4th line players just looking for depth. In Toronto he has been playing good two way hockey, exactly what teams like to add at the deadline.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Yet when guys like Beauchemin, Bernier, Kessel etc go from the Leafs to another team they instantly climb a few spots in people's rankings, funny how that works. I don't even blame them some of the time, Beauchemin was truly night and day between the Leafs and the Ducks for example. A change of scenery can do big things for a player, Greening was a quality 3rd line player for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->