Injury Report: Green out 3-5 weeks, Hronek up

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Coaching defensemen to be better defensively at the NHL level is not objectively easy. Some guys just never learn to read the play or don't really want to get dirty. It is, however, comparatively easier to improve defensive play than to improve a player's offensive skill and IQ. That much will never change.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sulak could still have a future with Detroit.

What objectively makes you think this?

Not saying you are wrong, but it is certainly an uphill battle when a 25 y.o d-man isn’t great defensively and doesn’t have a Keith Yandle/Mike Green offensive upside.

What, outside of liking Sulak’s edge, leads you to believe he will be anything more than another Marchenko/Ouellet/Lilja/Lebda/Kindl who are guys who are just there at the NHL level? I mean, technically, that would be an NHL future, but he will need to more. You should want him to be a defenseman on a good NHL roster, not skimming into the bottom pair of one of the worse d cores in the league.

If Sulak has a future with Detroit, it will have to start soon.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What objectively makes you think this?

Not saying you are wrong, but it is certainly an uphill battle when a 25 y.o d-man isn’t great defensively and doesn’t have a Keith Yandle/Mike Green offensive upside.

What, outside of liking Sulak’s edge, leads you to believe he will be anything more than another Marchenko/Ouellet/Lilja/Lebda/Kindl who are guys who are just there at the NHL level? I mean, technically, that would be an NHL future, but he will need to more. You should want him to be a defenseman on a good NHL roster, not skimming into the bottom pair of one of the worse d cores in the league.

If Sulak has a future with Detroit, it will have to start soon.
Don't start this again man.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d like to see him get more minutes next game. 13 min is kind of a joke for a defenseman.

Although looks like we got virtually no PP time last game, so hopefully moving forward he has a big role there and takes most of Green’s PP minutes over the next month or so.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't believe there has been a full team practice since Hronek has been called up. Once he gets some practice on with the second unit, I would expect him to QB that unit.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was wondering why Hronek wasn’t getting any PP time, then I realized it’s because we never really get Power Plays.

2nd to last in the league in PP opportunities. With fast guys like Larkin/AA, you would think we would draw more penalties.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Was wondering why Hronek wasn’t getting any PP time, then I realized it’s because we never really get Power Plays.

2nd to last in the league in PP opportunities. With fast guys like Larkin/AA, you would think we would draw more penalties.

How often are they put into positions to make use of that speed? If we had a better transition game where these guys were fed pucks by some more skilled D, I have to think they'd put more pressure on opposing players to do something stupid and draw a call.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

On the goal that Kronwall scored, both Kronwall and Hronek ran the points. After the first unit gave up a short handed opportunity, Blashill sent out two D. Only powerplay, so we wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On the goal that Kronwall scored, both Kronwall and Hronek ran the points. After the first unit gave up a short handed opportunity, Blashill sent out two D. Only powerplay, so we wait to see what happens tomorrow.

They have been going mostly with 1-Dman on 1st unit and 2 D-men on second unit. That has been common for Blashill since his Griffins days.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
They have been going mostly with 1-Dman on 1st unit and 2 D-men on second unit. That has been common for Blashill since his Griffins days.
Maybe in the past, but this year it has been mostly 1 D on the powerplay. Cholowski has mostly run the second unit with Green on the first. When Green has been sidelined, Cholowski has run the first. Kronwall has typically run the second without another D.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe in the past, but this year it has been mostly 1 D on the powerplay. Cholowski has mostly run the second unit with Green on the first. When Green has been sidelined, Cholowski has run the first. Kronwall has typically run the second without another D.

Kind of.

Also if they have used Frk as a roster player, he has given another point player. When he has been off the roster, then with D.

One interesting thing is that Hronek (1:04) has played more power-play minutes per game than Kronwall (0:44).

So they are slotting him in, and seasoned vet is losing the IT.

I just don't understand people who are freaking out when seeing Kronner on the PP, because statistically he is losing his IT for the kid.

Our near future PP will be Green/Cholowski/Hronek, it's pretty obvious. Those are the main pieces. No reason to freak out. "Chychryn"-deal looks pretty nice... I wonder who would be our future PP-guys without that deal. Daley and Ericsson? :lol:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Hronek played a lot on the powerplay to begin the season. Wednesday was the first practice since Hronek was called up, so I am sure Blashill was reticent to put him on the powerplay until he worked with the unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad