Grebeshkov makes debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Grebeshkov played his first game today for the Kings in place of the injured Jason Holland. I was at the game and I'll have to admit, even with all the hype I was pleasantly surprised. He looked completely relaxed and poised, and displayed great passing. He also jumped into a few rushes, which surprised me it being his first game and all. Very strong first effort. He even had a great chance from the high slot but couldnt bury it.

On a side note, Gleason was a monster today. Did a great job on Fedorov when he was out there against him. It's amazing watching this team play as well as they are with 3 rookie defensemen out there now. Tomas Zizka seems to have turned the corner also, this guy has been playing great lately.

LuckyLUC20

Aug 16, 2003
Somewhere in So-Cal
www.facebook.com
Grebs was very solid today. I was impressed with his composure considering it's his very first NHL game and all the hype he's surrounded by (largely due to us fans). He made some great passes, one that led to a little breakaway by Frolov. He wasn't out of position, made some nice plays both on offense and defense. I am very excited about the future of the Kings defense with Gleason and Zizka, as well as Lubomir Visnovsky and Joe Corvo who have been solid this year. Gleason really did a great job against Fedorov today. He knocked him flat on his back in the third. I want to get a clip of that because that was awesome!

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I too am happy to have my membership on the grebeshkov band waggon. I have waited to see him since he were drafted and he didn't dissapoint. I reckon you had it best when you said he played a poised game and how he looked like he belonged out there and it were only his FIRST NHL game. He had a brilliant debut.

I mean, I am not saying he is the best young defenceman and all that, I am saying he had a great first game and looks like he has the goods to be a good one in time.

Great to see him!

maximil

Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
Grebeshkov looked as good as advertised in his first game. He is really good at making decisions under pressure. I really can't wait to see if he can develop an offensive upside. I've been sold on Gleason for a while too. He just keeps looking better. If your into prospects check out the Kings, they've been playing a lot of them lately.

Grady41

Nov 19, 2002
Visit site
Does anybody remember Zizka first NHL game, last year, that came against the Ducks? LOL

Grebeshkov first game was at least 100 times better than Zizka first NHL game. I'm excited about the possibilities and am happy everyone is playing well. Including Zizka. :D

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
i was there too and was suprised to see grebeshkov on the ice when i got to my seat (we arrived a little late). i made sure to pay attention when he was on the ice. overall, yes, he was solid... i did see a couple mistakes here and there, but not bad at all for someone's first game. iirc, he didn't take the body on someone in front of the kings goal which led to some ducks possession which led to lupul's goal... i think...

... he's better than lilja at any rate...

r19

Nov 23, 2003
How is Gleason doing in L.A this season.When the sens traded him for smolinksi i really didn't want to give him up.Well can u update me on his progress, defensively and offensively

LuckyLUC20

Aug 16, 2003
Somewhere in So-Cal
www.facebook.com
r19 said:
How is Gleason doing in L.A this season.When the sens traded him for smolinksi i really didn't want to give him up.Well can u update me on his progress, defensively and offensively
Gleason has been improving in every game it seems. We're really high on him and the rest of our young defensemen. Gleason has shown his potential. He's not afraid to hit, or join the rush. I think the future is bright for Tim as long as he keeps working hard. He's definitely been a pleasant surprise.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Gleason has had his ups and downs this year, no doubt. He's on an upswing. I've been pretty impressed by him.

But make no mistakes, Kings fans. While Gleason is good, Grebeshkov will be much better ;)

Kings fans should be happy about their youngsters - they have one of the best group of prospects around.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm not quite sure I want to see Gleason do well considering I'm a Sens fan :) He wouldn't sign a contract with us for whatever reason..I think it was the agent. Wish we could've kept him but oh well...Smolinski has been a surprise this season. I didn't expect him to hit the 20+ goal mark (which he's about to do)

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Mizral said:
Gleason has had his ups and downs this year, no doubt. He's on an upswing. I've been pretty impressed by him.

But make no mistakes, Kings fans. While Gleason is good, Grebeshkov will be much better ;)
Kings fans should be happy about their youngsters - they have one of the best group of prospects around.

So when you say better, and this has probably been discussed on the LA Board (and i'm to lazy to look :dunno: ) how much better? Will he be a top 2 LA defenceman, and in what time frame? What kind of point potential does he have?
Just curious....

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Sting004 said:
I'm not quite sure I want to see Gleason do well considering I'm a Sens fan :) He wouldn't sign a contract with us for whatever reason..I think it was the agent. Wish we could've kept him but oh well...Smolinski has been a surprise this season. I didn't expect him to hit the 20+ goal mark (which he's about to do)
smoke is always good for 20-25 goals a season...he's a solid player...

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
So when you say better, and this has probably been discussed on the LA Board (and i'm to lazy to look :dunno: ) how much better? Will he be a top 2 LA defenceman, and in what time frame? What kind of point potential does he have?
Just curious....
I think at this point it's tough to say, we're not really sure what his game may transform into. He has yet to show a whole lot of offensive upside, but he's not asked to. They are trying for him to keep it simple with the puck and he has not disappointed in that manner. Defensively I love how he plays. Big hits and doesn't get himself out of position in doing so. To answer your question, it's still tough to say because he has so much more room to grow. Top 2 maybe, definitly a 3-4 even as early as the next 2 years imo.

leafaholix*

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Just curious....
Ask someone who sees them play on a regular basis. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Just curious....

Gleason is more physical and at this point looks to shoot more, but he is always going to be a guy who gets out of position by taking big runs, it just remains to be seen if he can skate well enough to get back into the play...so far he has shown that. Reminds me a bit of Blake when he came up, but he doesn't have as much offensive upside as Blake had/has.

Grebeshkov reminds me of Lidstrom or Teppo Numinnen (sp). He really plays the position well, defense first, but when that is taken care of he seems to have a good amount of offensive awareness, for his breakout passes were pretty impressive this weekend. Made a couple of nice plays in the zone where he passed to himself over others sticks and such. Just really talented, plays the angles well so he doesn't have to be overtly physical, which is where I make the Lidstrom comparison.

Of course, I am not saying these guys will be as good as Blake or Lidstrom, but I don't want to think about mid-top level guys to compare them too...these comparisons should give an idea of their games.

As for the question....

Gleason=Top 4 physical guy who can also play point on the powerplay
Grebeshkov=Top 2 all around d-man who you can play in any situation

Another positive is that Frolov and Grebeshkov played together in Russia and seemed to be really clicking on Saturday, and Grebeshkov made Modry look half-way decent by covering up his mistakes.

Point wise at this point I would have to say Gleason will score more goals (he has been very close as of late), but Grebs will score more points due to his breakout passes and smarts.

Jebus

That boulder?
May 29, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Point should be made that when Gleason started out he was described as an offensive defenseman by himself and others. Andy Murray and DT have asked him to play almost an exlusively defensive role. We'll see if that changes over time.
I've never heard or read too much on Grebs' offensive ability, but with that much skill, poise and vision...

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Jebus said:
Point should be made that when Gleason started out he was described as an offensive defenseman by himself and others. Andy Murray and DT have asked him to play almost an exlusively defensive role. We'll see if that changes over time.
I've never heard or read too much on Grebs' offensive ability, but with that much skill, poise and vision...

Kings director of scouting compared Grebeshkov to Wade Redden. Seems pretty accurate to me.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
In the 3rd game for Grebeshkov, he played over 24 minutes which was 2nd among all Kings players.

This is remarkable considering Andy Murray never gave a rookie too much ice time before. Grebs must be really making a good impression with management right now.
Keep it up Denis. :handclap:

Malakian#13

Mar 7, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Frolov said:
In the 3rd game for Grebeshkov, he played over 24 minutes which was 2nd among all Kings players.

This is remarkable considering Andy Murray never gave a rookie too much ice time before. Grebs must be really making a good impression with management right now.
Keep it up Denis. :handclap:

Everyone says that but it's only halfway true. Andy Murray never gives any of his rookie forwards a lot of ice time. Tim Gleason played 26-27 minutes in the season opener against Detroit. It seemed like Gleason was on the ice the whole game against Pittsburgh untill Orpik took him out. Funny in a way how Gleason had great scoring chances against Detroit (including a breakaway) and is still yet to score.
I'm not trying to take anything away from grebs I think he has been one of our best d-men in all the games he's played. I see Denis Grebeshkov being a #2 D-man like Danny Markov with potential to be better in the offensive zone. as for Tim Gleason , a second pairing defenceman who plays simular to Bret Hedican and throws big hits. I expect to see both of them play the entire season in LA next year.(knock on wood)

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Malakian#13 said:
Everyone says that but it's only halfway true. Andy Murray never gives any of his rookie forwards a lot of ice time. Tim Gleason played 26-27 minutes in the season opener against Detroit. It seemed like Gleason was on the ice the whole game against Pittsburgh untill Orpik took him out. Funny in a way how Gleason had great scoring chances against Detroit (including a breakaway) and is still yet to score.

Gleason played 22 minutes that night. Norstrom left in the 1st period with an injury and Miller was also out of the lineup.

Modry 25:06
Visnovksy 22:21
Gleason 21:57
Corvo 21:21
Holland 20:21

The Kings had no choice but to play Gleason and he made the most out of it and didn't disapoint.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2003100905

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Jebus said:

That's not entirely true. Gleason really worked hard on his defensive game in his final season in Windsor. So the time he was traded to the Kings he was already much improved, and more prepared for the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->