Greatest winger of all-time?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Gordie Howe is, if anything, underrated as a playoff performer. These numbers are surpassed only by Gretzky.

Number of times Howe led the league in goals - 3
Number of times Howe was in the top five in the league with goals - 7

Number of times Howe led the league in assists - 1
Number of times Howe was in the top five in the league with assists - 9

Number of times Howe led the league in points - 6
Number of times Howe was in the top five in the league with points - 9

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I voted for Hull over Bossy, even though I think Howe is the 3rd best player of all-time (behind #4 & #99). Bobby Hull brought something to the game that not many ever have: flair, excitement, and ability. His shot off the wing was insane (kids, think of Al MacInnis skating like Mike Modano, then shooting HARDER to score!), he was charismatic.

Bossy was one of the top 3 goal scorers of all-time in ability. Averaged 57 goals a season for 10 straight years? Huh?????

Howe was just an overall great player, but as a pure WINGER I voted for the Jet.

JMHO.

Stone87

Mar 20, 2005
Rochester
I was going to say what Nalyd said but to add to it, stats are almost meaningless.

You can try and adjust them for inflation though based on the average goals scored per year. It doesn't take into consideration the idea that players are bigger and stronger now but gets rid of the the huge numbers held by anyone who played in the 1980's. You would also have to adjust for changes in games played. The top 10 goal scorers would be something like this:
1.Gordie Howe
2.Wayne Gretzky
3.Brett Hull
4.Phil Esposito
5.Maurice Richard
6.Bobby Hull
7.Jaromir Jagr
8.Luc Robitaille
9.Stan Mikita
10.Mark Messier

Ad

Upcoming events