• Weah

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
No Eusebio?

Also OP, according to you, what position does Cristiano Ronaldo register as? He’s not on your winger list, nor is he on this one.
1. Damn, I knew it I forgot something. Eusebio is great choice.

2. I have CR7 in my 'Best Left Winger' poll. Along with Ronaldinho

Reactions: koyvoo

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Gerd Muller! He has a very impressive goals per game statisics. Bundesliga: 427 games 365 goals Nacional Team: 62 games 68 goals. WC: 13 games 14 goals.

For me the best striker ever seen. 60's and 70's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ronaldo. I know some are going to say Pele and he's by no means a bad answer, but I think Ronaldo was better at his best, considering he played against better players and was nearly unstoppable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nobody was better than Pele.
Some votes here I don't understand (as usual).
In a top 5 league, Van Basten had ONE 20 goal season.
Henry never won a Ballon d'Or.
Ronaldo had something like a 2 year peak.
Sure, Pele never played in Europe against the toughest competition. But when he did (WC), he dominated.
His peers said he was not human. He was always targeted by opposing defenses with refs failing to protect him.
Yet he came through. He's the only player to win 3 WC. He's still top 5 in WC goals even though he missed a lot of games because of injuries.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Some of these names are laughable.

Eusebio a clear omission, same with Fontaine.

Reactions: koyvoo

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Nobody was better than Pele.
Some votes here I don't understand (as usual).
In a top 5 league, Van Basten had ONE 20 goal season.
Henry never won a Ballon d'Or.
Ronaldo had something like a 2 year peak.
Sure, Pele never played in Europe against the toughest competition. But when he did (WC), he dominated.
His peers said he was not human. He was always targeted by opposing defenses with refs failing to protect him.
Yet he came through. He's the only player to win 3 WC. He's still top 5 in WC goals even though he missed a lot of games because of injuries.
Van Basten had 3 Ballon D'ors by the age of 28 on busted up ankles.

I'll never understand this mythical status that Pele acquired. He played against farmers in mostly local non-professional leagues in Brazil. His 1000 goals were mostly friendlies such as games against the US navy. He only scored one goal each in the 62 and 66 World Cups and the only time he was Brazil's highest scorer was in 58. His 77 international goals in 92 games is great but far from GOAT. And he can thank Garrincha for that 62 world cup

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
yeah farmers and such. You've been down that road already.
He dominated 3 WC. Can you link me to a single player who did that?
He dominated in 58 (at age 17) and 70 and his two other WC were cut short because of specific reasons.
Again, VB scored one single 20 goal season in a top 5 league (at the time the top league).
He was talented, I loved him, but I'll never understand how one could say a guy like this is the best striker ever. He won one single international tournament (and let's not pretend he didn't have a great team around him) and didn't shine in any other.
Even compared to Ronaldo he's not competitive.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also, Pele's NT stats aren't impressive? MVB has 24 goals in 58 games, including 5 in a single game against REAL farmers of Malta.
He managed to miss EC 84, WC 86, lost in first elimination game of WC90 and semis of EC92, missing the decisive penalty.

Really...

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I picked the great Jürgen Klinsmann.

No, I didn't. LOL.
THe correct answer is Pele.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Won the best player at only one WC and wasn't the highest scorer at any of them. Most Brazilians who watched them both play claim that Garrincha was the better player. Pele's mysticism is built around the thousands of goals he says he scored, but he failed to mention that hundreds of them were scored against amateurs. And just watch the defending from that era, it's a joke.

Peak Van Basten is my GOAT. Unfortunately, it didn't last long because of his ankles. Three Ballon D'ors by the age of 28 is insane. Who knows how many more he would have won if he had even been remotely healthy.

Also, are we really going to go down this path of factoring in National team success? Because people do that with Messi and it's ridiculous.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I was very confused cuz I didn’t see Pele when I first saw the list. So I voted Ronaldo even though Pele would’ve been my choice.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Won the best player at only one WC and wasn't the highest scorer at any of them. Most Brazilians who watched them both play claim that Garrincha was the better player. Pele's mysticism is built around the thousands of goals he says he scored, but he failed to mention that hundreds of them were scored against amateurs. And just watch the defending from that era, it's a joke.

Peak Van Basten is my GOAT. Unfortunately, it didn't last long because of his ankles. Three Ballon D'ors by the age of 28 is insane. Who knows how many more he would have won if he had even been remotely healthy.

Also, are we really going to go down this path of factoring in National team success? Because people do that with Messi and it's ridiculous.
Since it's the measuring stick for Pele yes.
I love VB but he's no Pele. He's not even Ronaldo as I said.
You can choose to dismiss Pele's NT career but then you can't ignore VB's failures.
Your comparison with Messi also fails since VB had a great generation with him.
There's absolutely no way VB is more then 3rd all time.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Since it's the measuring stick for Pele yes.
I love VB but he's no Pele. He's not even Ronaldo as I said.
You can choose to dismiss Pele's NT career but then you can't ignore VB's failures.
Your comparison with Messi also fails since VB had a great generation with him.
There's absolutely no way VB is more then 3rd all time.
I wouldn't call his NT career a failure. Top scorer and player of the tournament in Euro 1988 (including one of the greatest goals of all time in the final), and named in the team of the tournament at Euro 1992.

Pele is no doubt one of the greatest of all time but he's far from the undisputed GOAT that people (mainly himself) think he is.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well who can take over him?
3 WC wins. Top 5 all-time in WC goals despite missing lots of games.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Ronaldo. Or if you want to go by goals per game in the WC, Fontaine has him beat easily, as do several others.

Ronaldo is the only striker I've watched who was absolutely unplayable on a consistent basis. Pelé was embarrassing bank clerks and fruit farmers, Ronaldo was embarrassing Maldini and Nesta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->