Greatest Stanley Cup Champion of the 1980's

FASTHANDS*

Obvisouly the Isalnders and Oilers teams will stand out, but which version of them were the best? You have a great one year Calgary Flames team from 1989, how do the stand in the mix along with the cinderalla 1986 Canadiens.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 1981-'82 Islanders and the 1983-'84 Oilers might classify.

The only knock on the Islanders that year is that they barely got by a mediocre Pittsburgh team in the 5th and deciding game needing overtime after scoring two late goals (and actually needed a huge save from Smith in overtime). They also played Vancouver in the final. Not Edmonton. And in fact they didn't even face the Habs at any time either. Funny story, during that deciding game vs. Pittsburgh the score of the Quebec/Montreal game was announced to cheers upon hearing that the Nords knocked Montreal out in overtime. Either way the Isles still beat anyone that year.

The Oilers played the best team in the final in 1984. Islander fans will mention that they swept Edmonton in 1983 but the Oilers beat the Isles in five in 1984 so really when it comes down to it, it's at best a difficult debate on who had the better team.

But it's between those two IMO

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com

The only knock on the Islanders that year is that they barely got by a mediocre Pittsburgh team in the 5th and deciding game needing overtime after scoring two late goals (and actually needed a huge save from Smith in overtime). They also played Vancouver in the final. Not Edmonton. And in fact they didn't even face the Habs at any time either. Funny story, during that deciding game vs. Pittsburgh the score of the Quebec/Montreal game was announced to cheers upon hearing that the Nords knocked Montreal out in overtime. Either way the Isles still beat anyone that year.

The Oilers played the best team in the final in 1984. Islander fans will mention that they swept Edmonton in 1983 but the Oilers beat the Isles in five in 1984 so really when it comes down to it, it's at best a difficult debate on who had the better team.

Well, the Isles were badly beat up by that point.

Ill just copy paste what I wrote before

I really do not feel like getting into a heated discussion today, but the Isles the Oiler beat for their first cup were far removed from their greatness the past year. And when I say far removed, I know it is only a year's difference, but you need to take into context the Isles players who were close to retirement by this point, as well as the fact that most of their main cast was hurt.

Trottier was hobbled for a season and a half starting in Jan 1984 by a knee injury which required arthroscopic surgery to the point that they were barely using him as a first line player. Potvin by the time the playoffs rolled around was playing at half capacity due to injuries and for that matter most of their defense squad was off and on. Persson and Langevin both had shoulder injuries and thus, were missing games and ineffectual while there, while Morrow had knee problems that year(Surgery) and was ineffectual. Bourne and Nystrom, 2 of their most solid secondary scorers were both out with knee injuries and Brent Sutter, another solid scorer just had surgery for an infection and tendon damage due to it of all things, as well as buggering his knee in the playoffs, was injured and toughed it out, as was Tonelli, with yet another shoulder injury(And he had missed time right before the playoffs with a sprained knee, and was not 100% to begin with). Sutter and Tonelli were the best checking line players on the team and solid scorers to boot.

Goring was set to retire at this point, no longer effective.

FASTHANDS*

The 1984 Oilers needed 7 games to eliminte a pesky Calgary Flames team (the Oilers were up 3-1 and I believe Gretzky may have had the flu that series)
The 1982 Islanders against the 1987 Oilers would have been interesting considering the Oilers did not play as wide open and played a lot better defense. I would slightly favor the 1987 Edmonton Oilers

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well, the Isles were badly beat up by that point.

Ill just copy paste what I wrote before

I really do not feel like getting into a heated discussion today, but the Isles the Oiler beat for their first cup were far removed from their greatness the past year. And when I say far removed, I know it is only a year's difference, but you need to take into context the Isles players who were close to retirement by this point, as well as the fact that most of their main cast was hurt.

Trottier was hobbled for a season and a half starting in Jan 1984 by a knee injury which required arthroscopic surgery to the point that they were barely using him as a first line player. Potvin by the time the playoffs rolled around was playing at half capacity due to injuries and for that matter most of their defense squad was off and on. Persson and Langevin both had shoulder injuries and thus, were missing games and ineffectual while there, while Morrow had knee problems that year(Surgery) and was ineffectual. Bourne and Nystrom, 2 of their most solid secondary scorers were both out with knee injuries and Brent Sutter, another solid scorer just had surgery for an infection and tendon damage due to it of all things, as well as buggering his knee in the playoffs, was injured and toughed it out, as was Tonelli, with yet another shoulder injury(And he had missed time right before the playoffs with a sprained knee, and was not 100% to begin with). Sutter and Tonelli were the best checking line players on the team and solid scorers to boot.

Goring was set to retire at this point, no longer effective.

I do realize that, but remember the famous quote Kevin Lowe once told Gretzky after the 1983 final? They walk by the Islander dressing room during the Cup victory and assume that there is a grand party going on only to discover Potvin, Trottier etc. all getting ice on their knees and so on to which Lowe mentioned "that's how you win championships." Bottom line is I think the Islanders were banged up regardless even in 1983, not just 1984. Don't forget the youthful injection they got in 1984 with Lafontaine either.

Look, there are good debates on both sides of the pond on this one and we can leave that for another thread but I believe the 1984 Oilers were a much better team than they were a year earlier. They had the talent, but then they had the hunger and the knowledge how to win to go along with it now. The peak Oilers and peak Islanders go to a 7th game regardless IMO

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
People often make the mistake of trying to extrapolate who was better between the Oilers and Islanders based on their two meetings, but it needs to be remembered that neither meeting featured both teams at their best. A 1987 or 1988 Oilers against a 1980 or 1981 Islanders is probably the hypothetical peak matchup.

I'd probably go with the 1988 Oilers as top team. That spring was probably Gretzky's finest hour as he just totally dominated the playoffs including setting a record for most points in a final despite it only going 4 2/3 games (power outage at the Boston Garden cancelled Game 4 in the second period, but the personal stats still counted). The Oilers only finished second in their division, but swept the Cup-favorite Flames in the Smythe final. They went 16-2 overall, a record that will almost certainly never be matched.

FASTHANDS*

People often make the mistake of trying to extrapolate who was better between the Oilers and Islanders based on their two meetings, but it needs to be remembered that neither meeting featured both teams at their best. A 1987 or 1988 Oilers against a 1980 or 1981 Islanders is probably the hypothetical peak matchup.

I'd probably go with the 1988 Oilers as top team. That spring was probably Gretzky's finest hour as he just totally dominated the playoffs including setting a record for most points in a final despite it only going 4 2/3 games (power outage at the Boston Garden cancelled Game 4 in the second period, but the personal stats still counted). The Oilers only finished second in their division, but swept the Cup-favorite Flames in the Smythe final. They went 16-2 overall, a record that will almost certainly never be matched.

The 1988 Edmonton Oilers steamrolled through the playoffs going 16-2. Although there was less talent then in 1987, the defense was tremendous and Gretzky after missing 16 games during the regular season seemed rejuvenated with the much needed rest. With such a dominating run it makes you wonder what they would have done un 1989 with the same team intact. The '88 Oilers I believe was the their best team ever.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Mature

By 1988 the Oilers had matured as a team - evidenced by their improved defensive performance and their impressive 16-2 playoff run. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the team stayed together.

The 1982 Islanders deserve consideration - best regular season record by far of the four cup teams. Bump in the road scare series to start the playoffs against Pittsburgh. Usual tough series against the Islanders then two sweeps of the Nordiques and Canucks.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
1. 87-88 Oilers
2. 82-83 Islanders

The '86 Habs and '89 Flames were flukes IMO who both had the benefit of seeing the Oilers shoot themselves in the foot in '86 and of course seeing Gretzky beat the Oilers in '89 while playing for the Kings.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ranked 1 to 10:

1) 1982 Islanders
2) 1984 Oilers
3) 1989 Flames
4) 1981 Islanders
5) 1985 Oilers
6) 1987 Oilers
7) 1988 Oilers
8) 1983 Islanders
9) 1980 Islanders
10) 1986 Canadiens

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
1. 87-88 Oilers
2. 82-83 Islanders

The '86 Habs and '89 Flames were flukes IMO who both had the benefit of seeing the Oilers shoot themselves in the foot in '86 and of course seeing Gretzky beat the Oilers in '89 while playing for the Kings.

The 89 Flames were a great team. Excellent depth, offense, defense and goaltending that season. Even with Gretzky, that Flame team would have given the Oilers a run for their money. It was their finest hour as a franchise and IMO that edition compares favourably with the best teams of the decade.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The 1988 Edmonton Oilers steamrolled through the playoffs going 16-2. Although there was less talent then in 1987, the defense was tremendous and Gretzky after missing 16 games during the regular season seemed rejuvenated with the much needed rest. With such a dominating run it makes you wonder what they would have done un 1989 with the same team intact. The '88 Oilers I believe was the their best team ever.

Thank you Peter Pocklington for that, you are on a short list along with Jack Adams as people who helped break up their OWN dynasty.

But yeah I have nothing against the 1988 Oilers. 16-2 is an insane playoff record and they played the Flames and Bruins so it isn't as if they played some losers. I guess there are things you can take from the 1984 and 1988 team. The latter was better well rounded, played better defense and was a little more seasoned. The 1984 team I just have always liked because of the way they peeled through the NHL regular season, and I am a sucker for Coffey as well which the 1988 team did not have.

FASTHANDS*

I like Coffey as well. '87 team looked as if they were going to go 15-3 just like the '85 team, but ran into a hot goaltender in Hextall who delayed the inevitable. 1987 Edmonton Oilers may have been the most talented team I have ever seen.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
It is clearly between the Isles and Oilers—but to compare both teams—it is really not quite fair.

I think if those teams met in the finals for 10 straight seasons you would have each side winning 5 times—the teams were built differently—but took you to the same place.

The Isles were a grittier team overall—more Sand Paper. The Oilers had their sand paper as well—but were more finesse then the Isles.

Overall—we are discuss two unreal teams. Could anyone even imaging what it would cost to keep either team together from a salary stand point in today's dollars?

Put aside the salary cap for a second....

As an Isles fan who watched these guys play....

In todays money....with no cap...

Mike Bossy: $9-$10 mil
Trottier: $9-$10 mil
Clark Gillies: $6.5 mil
John Tonelli: $5.5 mil
Bobby Bourne: $5-$5.5 mil
Dennis Potvin: $8-8.5 mil
Billy Smith: $6 mil
Dave Langevin: $4.5 mil
Ken Morrow: $3 mil
Brent Sutter: $3.5 mil
Bobby Nystrom: $3 mil
Duane Sutter: $2.5 mil

That is not even the whole team—and we are approaching $70 mil.

The oilers would be comparable to the Isles numbers—Gretzky and Messier would make roughly what Bossy and Trottier would make...

Bottom line—I think both teams were amazing. Overall—call me a homer—but my Isles won 19 straight playoff series—19. Something that has never been matched—not even by the great Habs teams. Im not taking ANYTHING away from the Habs, Oilers or anyone else.—but 19 straight series wins!

Instead of debating it—I consider myself amazingly lucky to have seen it happen—because I dont think any of us will ever see that kind of dominance in the NHL again.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think if those teams met in the finals for 10 straight seasons you would have each side winning 5 times—the teams were built differently—but took you to the same place.

Agreed there, I wouldn't put it by those two teams.

That is not even the whole team—and we are approaching $70 mil

That would be a true test in today's NHL. You'd like to think the teams of yesteryear check their ego at the door and "take a cut for the team" but who knows maybe the Isles have to lose Bossy sometime in that dynasty just to keep Potvin. Thank God we never have to find out.

Bottom line—I think both teams were amazing. Overall—call me a homer—but my Isles won 19 straight playoff series—19. Something that has never been matched—not even by the great Habs teams. Im not taking ANYTHING away from the Habs, Oilers or anyone else.—but 19 straight series wins!

It is amazing. When you think of it the closest any team has come to it recently was the Red Wings (7 straight series) and the Pens (8/9 series). I'd like to think if there were 4 rounds of playoffs in the 1950s that the Canadiens have 20 straight series but alas that never happened and we can't take anything away from the Isles

FASTHANDS*

The Islanders were indeed a gritty team. Recall Sather saying in the 1983-84 season that it was always the Tonelli's and Sutter's who beat the Oilers. Even in 1986, when Calgary got Tonelli, the Oilers were worried and with good reason. The Islanders didn't have the overall talent as the Oilers did, but scrappy guys like Tonelli and the Sutters made up for that. I don't know if they were better then the Oilers but it was darn close.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

That is not even the whole team—and we are approaching $70 mil.

The oilers would be comparable to the Isles numbers—Gretzky and Messier would make roughly what Bossy and Trottier would make...

If there was no cap, as you suggest in your example, a prime Gretzky would probably get at least $30 million from somebody (OK, the Rangers) on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad