7: Dany Heatley - 40%

Added Kelly

Tell me who to add next

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
Where's the love for Fisher?

Redden should have probably gone above Heatley and Yashin. I think we all forget just how good he was, and how much he enjoyed Ottawa.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Where's the love for Fisher?

Redden should have probably gone above Heatley and Yashin. I think we all forget just how good he was, and how much he enjoyed Ottawa.

I think Yashin is tough to argue over.

I see maybe (# of clear 1st line seasons, many elite)
Alfie - ~ a dozen seasons of clear 1st line play, many elite.
Spezza ~ 8-9 seasons
Yashin ~ 7.5 seasons
Karlsson ~ 6
Hossa ~ 6
Redden ~ 6
Heatley = 4
Chara ~ 3

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados

Spezza ~ 8-9 seasons
Yashin ~ 7.5 seasons
Karlsson ~ 6
Hossa ~ 6
Redden ~ 6
Heatley = 4
Chara ~ 3

I guess it all depends how you define "greatness", my ranking of those guys (including Fish/Phillips/Neil)

Alfie
EK
Spezza
Hossa
Redden
Fisher
Yashin
Heatley
Chara
Phillips
Neil

To me, greatness includes skill, but also legacy. Redden and Fisher were both amazing citizens who represented Ottawa proudly and were absolutely adored (Redden less so at the end).

So. while guys like Yashin and Heatley are absolutely talented players who had major impact on the ice, the off ice stuff puts Fisher and Redden ahead on my list.

I'm still bitter I guess

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

Spezza ~ 8-9 seasons
Yashin ~ 7.5 seasons
Karlsson ~ 6
Hossa ~ 6
Redden ~ 6
Heatley = 4
Chara ~ 3

Its clearly not just about skill though. If it were, then we would have to include Kovalev in the list since as far as pure skill goes, he was one of the best to ever play here.

We would also have to put EK over Alfie, because Karlsson does have more pure skill than Alfie.

But Alfie is still the easy number one because he defined the team for over a decade, and while his leaving wasn't super nice and clean, it was far more amicable than either Heatley or Yashin. Also, he came back and was welcomed with open arms, and rightly so.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Its clearly not just about skill though. If it were, then we would have to include Kovalev in the list since as far as pure skill goes, he was one of the best to ever play here.

We would also have to put EK over Alfie, because Karlsson does have more pure skill than Alfie.

But Alfie is still the easy number one because he defined the team for over a decade, and while his leaving wasn't super nice and clean, it was far more amicable than either Heatley or Yashin. Also, he came back and was welcomed with open arms, and rightly so.

I'm not looking at skill. I'm looking more at something like; contribution to winning above replacement. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking about all-round play and playoff performance. In the end, it's hard to ignore players who played at a very high level for a long time.

But it certainly gets difficult when you get to the nitty gritty of whether Yashin's career season outweighs the fact that Hossa was a much better two-way player and had a big postseason in 2003 (leading the team to the 3rd round).

Or that Heatley had such impeccable scoring stats, but was probably the worst hockey player in our top-10 outside of them. How does his performance compare to lower scoring, but better defensive players like Redden and Chara?

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
1: Daniel Alfredsson - 63%
2: Erik Karlsson - 92%
3: Jason Spezza - 63%
4: Alexei Yashin - 26%
5: Marian Hossa - 38%
6: Chris Phillips - 37%
7: Dany Heatley - 40%

Added Kelly

Tell me who to add next

Add peter Schafer