Greatest Senators #3

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe even Heatley, I know he's a **** but he was a very good player none the less.

After Spezza goes #3, I am voting for Heatley, the best goal scorer this team has ever had and probably ever will have.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Over-rated by some IMO. He was good, sometimes very good defensively, but not great!

Maybe I'm voting on the poll wrong.

In terms of pure skill he'd be way down there, but taking into account longevity and legacy as a Sen he should be #3 behind Alfie and EK. Otherwise Yashin and Heatley should be regarded as greater Sens than our longest serving player.

But if we're voting purely on skill, there is no way Alfie should have beaten EK.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Maybe I'm voting on the poll wrong.

In terms of pure skill he'd be way down there, but taking into account longevity and legacy as a Sen he should be #3 behind Alfie and EK. Otherwise Yashin and Heatley should be regarded as greater Sens than our longest serving player.

But if we're voting purely on skill, there is no way Alfie should have beaten EK.

Shades of grey, not just black and white. In my opinion Spezza easily embodies the skill, longevity, and legacy aspects better than any other choices on that list now. He played about 700 games of PPG hockey here and helped take us to the finals. I see no controversy in this choice.

When it gets hard is putting a guy like Phillips against a Heatley and Hossa.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Crazy that many names are being thrown out there but no mention of Mike Fisher

Is this poll for greatest senators while they played for the Sens? Then it should be Spezza, then Phillips

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think I'd go for Hossa, then Phillips to round out my top 5 after Spezza.

Heatley was a product of Spezza and Alfie. All he had to do was sit and wait for a pass, I mean look at Greening on Spezza's wing. Or what the all star did with Thornton after the trade.

Starting at 6 is where it gets tough for me.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Heatley, Yashin and even Spezza will be docked a few marks for wanting to be traded. Still, Spezza should be up there even though I voted for Neil here (and I'm the only one who did so far). :laugh:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Heatley, Yashin and even Spezza will be docked a few marks for wanting to be traded. Still, Spezza should be up there even though I voted for Neil here (and I'm the only one who did so far). :laugh:

I could see an argument made for Neil. I have him fifth on my list though.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Dont see it, the biggest mistake in sens history was trading Hossa and he is easily the 2nd/3rd best player to ever play for this organization.

He was the best player on the team while this team was at its best. I hate muckler.

This, voted Hossa and I didn't even mind the trade since it got us close to our only Cup. Hossa was insane for us. Wish he could have played for us later on.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dont see it, the biggest mistake in sens history was trading Hossa and he is easily the 2nd/3rd best player to ever play for this organization.

He was the best player on the team while this team was at its best. I hate muckler.

You think Hossa would have put up the numbers heatley did?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think I'd go for Hossa, then Phillips to round out my top 5 after Spezza.

Heatley was a product of Spezza and Alfie. All he had to do was sit and wait for a pass, I mean look at Greening on Spezza's wing. Or what the all star did with Thornton after the trade.

Starting at 6 is where it gets tough for me.

No way Heatley was a product of Spezza and Alfie. Spezza was the third best player on that line. Heatley scored 41 goals and 89 points as a thrasher

Heatley was the purest goal scorer this team has ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHE-U3u4zc

People have a tainted view of heatley because of sub-par playoffs, requesting a trade and seemingly giving up on the team

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

This poll isn't about who's the best player though. Karlsson is the best player and he's better then everyone that went before him. Apparently if you think this , you have not been a fan very long though... Have not figured that out completely yet.. cuz before they got their franchise and played at the civic center they were kind of hard to follow.

Apparently longevity with the team is part of the equation. Dr. Easy can explain it to you. You lose points if you leave the team at your request apparently. :dunno:

Hossa was an excellent player. He chased the cup and caught it. So was Heatley for most of his stay. Yashin was a really good player too (79 pts as a rookie), just not into abiding by his contract. I think he collects Shayne Corson hockey cards.

I voted for Spezza because imo he is the best of the rest

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This poll isn't about who's the best player though. Karlsson is the best player and he's better then everyone that went before him. Apparently if you think this , you have not been a fan very long though... Have not figured that out completely yet.. cuz before they got their franchise and played at the civic center they were kind of hard to follow.

Apparently longevity with the team is part of the equation. Dr. Easy can explain it to you. You lose points if you leave the team at your request apparently. :dunno:

Hossa was an excellent player. He chased the cup and caught it. So was Heatley for most of his stay. Yashin was a really good player too (79 pts as a rookie), just not into abiding by his contract. I think he collects Shayne Corson hockey cards.

I voted for Spezza because imo he is the best of the rest
:laugh: That's just how I understand "Greatest Senator". I would vote differently if the poll asked for the "most talented". I know Hasek is not going to get his jersey retired here, but Neil or Phillips might. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me though!

By your logic you're going to vote for Yashin next, right?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
:laugh: That's just how I understand "Greatest Senator". I would vote differently if the poll asked for the "most talented". I know Hasek is not going to get his jersey retired here, but Neil or Phillips might. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me though!

By your logic you're going to vote for Yashin next, right?

Yup, voted Yashin in the next one :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad