Greatest Scorers - Early Pro Leagues

Ogopogo*

Someone requested my ratings for players like Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor and Tom Dunderdale from the early major pro hockey leagues on par with the NHL. Here are the top 10 from each of the 3 leagues:

PCHA Scoring Leaders (1912-1924)

1 Fred "Cyclone" Taylor
2 Tom Dunderdale
3 Bernie Morris
4 Frank Foyston
5 Duncan "Mickey" MacKay
6 Frank Fredrickson
7 Wilfred "Smokey" Harris
8 Eddie Oatman
9 Gord Roberts
10 Jack Adams

WCHL Scoring Leaders (1923-1926)

1 Bill Cook
2 Gordon "Duke" Keats
3 Harry Oliver
4 George Hay
5 Art Gagne
6 Dick Irvin
7 Duncan MacKay
8 Corb Denneny
9 Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde
10 Barney Stanley
Frank Fredrickson

NHA Scoring Leaders (1910-1917)

1 Joe Malone
2 Didier Pitre
Tommy Smith
4 Newsy Lalonde
5 Harry Hyland
6 Gord Roberts
7 Ernie Russell
Frank Nighbor
Odie Cleghorn
10 Albert Kerr

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Is there an online source for PCHA and NHA stats? Hockeydb only goes back to `20-`21 for PCHA. The book The Hockey Compendium list the top scorers in those leagues, but I`m looking for complete stats.

Interesting note: 1926-27 was the first NHL season as the only pro league after the Western league folded. The top NHL point-getters that season were filled with players from the PCHA/WHL: Bill Cook (1st), Dick Irvin (2nd), Fran Fredrickson (4th), Frank Boucher (7th), Harry Oliver (9th), Duke Keats (10th). This would seem to indicate that the western leagues may have been equal in talent to the NHA/NHL in the 1910s and 1920s.

Ogopogo*

reckoning said:
Is there an online source for PCHA and NHA stats? Hockeydb only goes back to `20-`21 for PCHA. The book The Hockey Compendium list the top scorers in those leagues, but I`m looking for complete stats.

Interesting note: 1926-27 was the first NHL season as the only pro league after the Western league folded. The top NHL point-getters that season were filled with players from the PCHA/WHL: Bill Cook (1st), Dick Irvin (2nd), Fran Fredrickson (4th), Frank Boucher (7th), Harry Oliver (9th), Duke Keats (10th). This would seem to indicate that the western leagues may have been equal in talent to the NHA/NHL in the 1910s and 1920s.

try www.hockeydb.com

And yes, all of the early pro leagues were pretty much on par talent-wise

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
BM67 said:

Thanks for those links. I live in Ottawa but never heard of that site before.

I`d seen prohockeystats. com before, but as you said there`s a few problems ( the goalie stats are a disaster) so I don`t really trust it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->