• Simonsen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
If Messi is a RW, then it's easily him, though I don't see him as a winger at all. More of a free roaming #10 or even striker.

Some on the list don't deserve to be on it. Beckham, Figo I find to be very overrated, even though Beckham is underrated among the more hardcore fans. Ljundberg wouldn't even make the top 50, whereas Ronald de Boer is a RM in a 4-3-3. George was a vital cog during Ajax' succes in the mid nineties, but outside of his Ajax stint, he didn't really do a whole lot noteworthy to be mentioned here. I like Laudrup. Pretty underrated as well.

I've watched plenty of black and white clips of Garrincha, as well as the BBC documentary somewhere last year, but it's very hard to compare him with modern players. The game was so different back then. That said, his dribbling skills and ability to get by his man were nothing short of excellent. Most of the same applies to Best as well. Rensebrink is another one of those oldies who fits in to that group, though he was a left winger.

With their traditional 4-3-3 and total football, the Dutch school gave us some outstanding wingers over the years. Rensebrink, Wilkes, Robben, Johnny Rep, Overmars, Sjaak Swart.. I could go on. Though it's a dying breed in modern day football.

In terms of modern day wingers, it's Robben and I don't see any arguments. He singlehandedly carried the teams he played for. He might've been the most predictable player you could defend, yet few were able to. So fast and explosive, outstanding ball control, Messi-esque dribbling skills and a shot which was never ridiculously hard, but always accurate. Even at 34 he still scores the same typical goals as he has scored for 1.5 decades now. Hated his flopping game. Especially at Chelsea it was at an all time high. If he also wasn't as injury prone he might've even had a bigger career than he's had now. Or if he had scored that one on Cassilas, he would've been immortal.

Overmars might've been the fastest one out of this bunch but he was even more injury prone than Robben. In terms of impact and skill set, Overmars wasn't much behind Robben. Bigger defenders really had no grip on him. Short, fast, explosive, but strong, feisty and powerful as well. I still remember the battles he had with Maldini during the EC of 2000. Fun to watch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Or if he had scored that one on Cassilas, he would've been immortal.
I had an irrational anger toward Robben for so long for this. I fully believe if we had 2014 Robben in 2010 we'd have won the WC.

Ah well. It would have been interesting to see how Robben turned out had he not had so many injuries.

Reactions: Ajacied

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Yes frankly, Garrincha over anyone else but Messi. From all accounts he was the best winger of all time with Cruyff (who could also not be classified as a pure winger).

I'd love to see who voted who. Because De Boer? Really?

You posted that remarkable stat about France's great back four's results in the games they play together.

It's worth reiterating Garrincha's record with the selecao: 50 caps, one defeat, and that at the 1966 World Cup when he was a thirty-two year old, his condition diminished by a lifestyle that might politely be described as free and easy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You posted that remarkable stat about France's great back four's results in the games they play together.

It's worth reiterating Garrincha's record with the selecao: 50 caps, one defeat, and that at the 1966 World Cup when he was a thirty-two year old, his condition diminished by a lifestyle that might politely be described as free and easy.
Yeah Garrincha was crazy good, but everyone's account. Total domination on the wing.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If Messi is a RW, then it's easily him, though I don't see him as a winger at all. More of a free roaming #10 or even striker.

Some on the list don't deserve to be on it. Beckham, Figo I find to be very overrated, even though Beckham is underrated among the more hardcore fans. Ljundberg wouldn't even make the top 50, whereas Ronald de Boer is a RM in a 4-3-3. George was a vital cog during Ajax' succes in the mid nineties, but outside of his Ajax stint, he didn't really do a whole lot noteworthy to be mentioned here. I like Laudrup. Pretty underrated as well.

I've watched plenty of black and white clips of Garrincha, as well as the BBC documentary somewhere last year, but it's very hard to compare him with modern players. The game was so different back then. That said, his dribbling skills and ability to get by his man were nothing short of excellent. Most of the same applies to Best as well. Rensebrink is another one of those oldies who fits in to that group, though he was a left winger.

Finidi just leached off of Litmanen.

Yes, I don't consider Messi a right winger either so for me it was a choice of Garricha or Best. Would have made it a draw but went with the best.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Beckham was a winger?

At United he played in the center or right MF of a 4-4-2.

He was never a pure winger though. didn't have the speed. Drifted out right for those crosses a lot, which I think people remember mostly and associate him with the RW.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Garrincha AINEC. A magical player that was not only dominating the game but at times above it altogether. Not sure that even Pelé quite achieved the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad