Greatest QB All-time: When was their career on the edge?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It seems, that QBs have a very short career. Only few of them can hold it for many years. Two or three bad games and its over.

How was it with the all-time greatest QB? Where there time, when they were left down? Their career was almost over?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it means guys who were at the end of the line. Like Peyton Manning getting dragged across the finish line, or Joe Namath finishing his career with the Rams.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I think it means guys who were at the end of the line.

Not directly. English isn't my primary language, so i have sometimes issues to say, what i mean.

What i mean? If there was a time in the middle of their career, when they had a streak of very bad games. And they were so close to the moment, that someone will replace them and steal their job.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Not directly. English isn't my primary language, so i have sometimes issues to say, what i mean.

What i mean? If there was a time in the middle of their career, when they had a streak of very bad games. And they were so close to the moment, that someone will replace them and steal their job.

I think there are more factors at play then just the QB directly if we are talking about being mid career and someone possibly stealing their position.

Alex Smith had a decent run with KC and everything was starting to come together but how long do you hold onto a Vet when you just drafted a very highly rated QB and then suffers a crushing injury to be replaced by a young qb again.

Matt Stafford is always in the conversation to be replaced in the media and talk among fans. But looking at his accomplishments/nfl records its tough to put Detroit's situation on him when they had not had a 100+ yard game rushing in 5 seasons (broke the streak in 2018), a terrible 0-line and have finished in the top 10 defensively once in his career.

I think the Payton example GKJ listed is a good one of a player being dragged over the finishing line at the end of their career.

I think there is a lot of factors to take in to consideration though for a qb being or not being replaced.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Honestly I thought from title this was about guys like Jeff Hostetler , Jim Plunkett and Doug Williams

Guys who's appeared to be done as NFL QB's and irrelevance in grand scheme of things who came up big to salvage careers and create legacies with SB wins

Hostetler was basically on verge of being out of NFL as nothing more then backup , Plunkett was a bust when he ended up in Oakland and Williams after up and down career in TB was up and down in USFL and signed to be nothing more then backup to Jay Schroeder in DC

When all 3 were at what appeared to be end of road they came up huge winning SB's and in case of Plunkett and Williams SB MVP's

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
In 1974 the Steelers benched Terry Bradshaw to start the season and handed the starting role over to Joe Gilliam, the team started 4-1-1 but as Gilliam's play declined Chuck Noll went back to Bradshaw, who was benched again after 3 games for Terry Hanratty who won his start but played so poorly (2/15 62 yds 1 td 3 int) they went back to Bradshaw the next week, they went 3-1 to close the season, and swept through the playoffs behind the defense and won the first of their 4 SB's in the 70's, had Gilliam played better maybe they never go back to Bradshaw and the 70's Super Steelers never happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad