Greatest Player to never win the Cup

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
I think he's still got a ways to go. :laugh:

Of the more recent players in the NHL, I'd say Mats Sundin is arguably the best to have never won.

HM to Turgeon and Roenick.

Ovechkin in his fifth year as a professional has already individually accomplished more in his career than the three players you name.

How many Hart trophies do the troika of Sundin, Turgeon, and Roenick have ???

In his first five seasons Ovechkin has been named to the first all-star team four times (a fifth is sure to follow in a few months).

First or Second All-Star team nominations for Sundin, Turgeon, Roenick - 0

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Ovechkin in his fifth year as a professional has already individually accomplished more in his career than the three players you name.

In his first five seasons Ovechkin has been named to the first all-star team four times (a fifth is sure to follow in a few months).

I see this as more of a discussion regarding retired players who will never have a chance to win one as a player. But if it's open to current players, AO would certainly be a candidate amongst recent players.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Marcel Dionne? Small guy, only 5'8.

3rd all-time in most 100 pt seasons (he had eight, only behind Gretzky and Lemieux)

2 Lady Byng Trophies, 2 Lester B. Pearson awards and one Art Ross Trophy. He also set a rookie scoring record in his first year with 77 points, obviously this has been broken though.

5th all time in NHL regular season points.
4th all time in NHL regular season goals.
9th all time in NHL regular season assists.

I think he is the clear cut number one for this topic.

Poor guy never advanced past the second round of the playoffs. Arguably the greatest player in Los Angeles Kings history (although Gretzky played for the Kings, he was there for 8 seasons while Dionne was there for 12, and Dionne holds the Kings all-time scoring record, with 1307 points with the team)

He is the only player in the top 15 NHL scoring leaders of all-time to not win a Stanley Cup.

Homer Pick for me is Mats Sundin

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Marcel Dionne is my #1 choice.

Brad Park is also a good choice. No one has said him yet, but Gilbert Perreault never won one either. He'd definitely be in that top tier.

Doug Bentley, Darryl Sittler, Borje Salming and the Great Bill Gadsby are some others that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Mike Gartner never even played in the Finals.

Last edited:

dsreyn

Mar 29, 2007
Billerica, MA

No, Sundin made the second team twice - 2002 and 2004.

Doug

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Dionne.

The problem with him was that he wasn't a bastage that insisted on a full team of support...or a trade.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've always said it was Dionne. But I accept nods for Park as well. I can see it on both sides to be honest.

Other than that there is a little bit of a drop off before the next group comes in. That group is Ratelle, Statsny, Perreault, Ullman, Sittler, Gilbert, and depending on how much you value prime........Lindros.

The best goalie to never win one is often thought to be Giacomin. Tony Esposito won a Cup in 1969, although he didn't play in the playoffs. So for sure the nod goes to Giacomin followed by a gap and then Cujo.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Good points you made. I am pretty sure that the poster holds career value into account as well. Despite JR, Turgeon and Sundin never hitting the heights of Ovy in their careers, the truth is they all played 20 or so years. There is always a reward for longevty and - in Sundin's case - remarkable consistency.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
And arguably he was the best center in 2002. I think he shouldve gotten the nod over Sakic there.

Agreed, although there's no arguably about it. He was second in the league in goals with 41 that year (and had the most out of any centre) and led all centres in points. I remember watching the NHL Awards that June being excited to see Sundin come out in a suit while they were announcing the First All-Star team and being pretty pissed off to see Sakic come out in what was a fairly down season for him (just 26 goals if I remember correctly). Just a tremendously stupid oversight.

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
Agreed, although there's no arguably about it. He was second in the league in goals with 41 that year (and had the most out of any centre) and led all centres in points. I remember watching the NHL Awards that June being excited to see Sundin come out in a suit while they were announcing the First All-Star team and being pretty pissed off to see Sakic come out in what was a fairly down season for him (just 26 goals if I remember correctly). Just a tremendously stupid oversight.

There's an interesting thread about that.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=562728&highlight=sundin

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

On the surface you might think it is. But there was one point that separated Sundin and Sakic that year. Generally I always find when it is that close then the centers are judged by their goals or their all around game. Sakic was 9th in Selke voting that year. No doubt he still had the better year than Sundin by a pinch.

For example I think the first team all-star center this year will be Crosby regardless of whether he outpoints Sedin. The voters will look at his goal total vs. Sedin's and his all around play (even though Sedin isn't too shabby in that dept. either)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
1191GP 512G 814A 1326Pts

another 103 points in 90 playoff games

HHoF inductee 1990

appeared in 9 all-star games

Calder Trophy

Lady Byng

1st overall in '70

no love for Gilbert Perrault