Greatest Performance ever by a Canadian

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
You can't go wrong with Gretzky or Lemieux for obvious reasons but you have to give recognition to Henderson for his exploits in 72.. scoring the winning goals in the last three games of the series.

Orr 76 after watching the DVD's is also a solid choice.... would have liked to see him on two knees though (in a Canucks jersey of course)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Darryl Sittlers 10 point night?
That happened in the NHL. I'm talking about international tournaments.

A lot of people are mentioning Henderson. He scored some very huge goals in that tournament but Esposito played better than him. Canada needed to win 3 games in Moscow. Esposito led Canada and without him I don't think they would win. Esposito's performance ranks right up there with Gretzky's and Lemieux's, if not higher.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
That happened in the NHL. I'm talking about international tournaments.

A lot of people are mentioning Henderson. He scored some very huge goals in that tournament but Esposito played better than him. Canada needed to win 3 games in Moscow. Esposito led Canada and without him I don't think they would win. Esposito's performance ranks right up there with Gretzky's and Lemieux's, if not higher.
Esposito put that Canadian team on his back in 1972. His speech after Game 4 in Vancouver really was the turning point in the series. Henderson scored the three straight game-winning goals, but Espo set the table.

Bobby Orr, on one leg in his final moment of glory, was magnificent in the 1976 Canada Cup. Rogie Vachon was Canada's 1A as far as MVP consideration.

A couple wingers who don't get enough recognition: John Tonelli in 1984 and Steve Larmer in 1991. Tonelli was the MVP of the 84 Canada Cup, and for good reason. He assisted on the overtime winner against the USSR in the semi-final, scored over a point-per-game, and was an all-round force. Larmer was very effective in the 1991 tournament. Coming off the best year of his career, he would have been a very reasonable choice as MVP. Need a goal? He'd score it. Check the opposing team's top forward? He'd do it. Win a battle in the corner? Larms got the job done.

As for the WJC, one performance stands above the rest: Manny Legace in 1992-93 in Sweden. Legace went from an obscure Quebec league goalie who'd be passed over in the draft twice, to a national hockey hero.

Canada was coming off an embarassing sixth place finish, and they had a young team that was expected to get a learning experience, in the hopes that they'd be ready to challenge for gold the following year. (Canada might have one or two undrafted players on their team most years. They had a lot that year). Legace was brilliant, especially during a 5-4 win over the heavily favoured host team, the Swedes.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Wayne´s five point night in the 2nd game of the ´87 Canada Cup finals makes you almost want to forgive him his hair...

Henderson, Esposito and Park all deserve a mention for their performance in the game 8 of the you-know-what-series.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
As for the WJC, one performance stands above the rest: Manny Legace in 1992-93 in Sweden. Legace went from an obscure Quebec league goalie who'd be passed over in the draft twice, to a national hockey hero. Canada was coming off an embarassing sixth place finish, and they had a young team that was expected to get a learning experience, in the hopes that they'd be ready to challenge for gold the following year. (Canada might have one or two undrafted players on their team most years. They had a lot that year). Legace was brilliant, especially during a 5-4 win over the heavily favoured host team, the Swedes.

Legace played for the Niagara Falls Thunder. Born in TO. ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This argument shoudl go no further than Gretzkyin '87 or Espo in '72. Under the circumstances both men faced tons of pressure. Gretzky was playing against what many say was the best Soviet team ever to hit the ice. And the pace the game was played at he was a giant among superstars.
Espo was under more extreme conditions though I think. They were in Russia back at the height of the Cold War. Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game and he was counted on to deliver. I love Tonelli's '84 tourny though as well, I wish that was mentioned more often. That was pure heart

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
This argument shoudl go no further than Gretzkyin '87 or Espo in '72. Under the circumstances both men faced tons of pressure. Gretzky was playing against what many say was the best Soviet team ever to hit the ice. And the pace the game was played at he was a giant among superstars.
Espo was under more extreme conditions though I think. They were in Russia back at the height of the Cold War. Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game and he was counted on to deliver. I love Tonelli's '84 tourny though as well, I wish that was mentioned more often. That was pure heart
Agree that Espo put on a great performance in 72 but to say "Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game is a reach" Most points in an the NHL season do not necessarily = Best player in the game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Agree that Espo put on a great performance in 72 but to say "Other than Orr, Espo was the best player in the game is a reach" Most points in an the NHL season do not necessarily = Best player in the game.

Well if you can name a guy who was a better player than Esposito in 1972 I'd like to hear it. Aside from Orr of course. You've got Hull and maybe Ratelle. Neither one was as good as Espo at the time. Hull is close but 133 points in a Cup winning season for a 1st team all-star is hard to beat.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Well if you can name a guy who was a better player than Esposito in 1972 I'd like to hear it. Aside from Orr of course. You've got Hull and maybe Ratelle. Neither one was as good as Espo at the time. Hull is close but 133 points in a Cup winning season for a 1st team all-star is hard to beat.
Standing in the slot & taking lots of shots does not make you the best player regardless of the points put up. Hull was definitely the better player.

chooch*

Standing in the slot & taking lots of shots does not make you the best player regardless of the points put up. Hull was definitely the better player.

I dont know about the 60's but in the Canada Cup 76, I was disappointed by Hull's play. If he touched the puck, by god he was gonna shoot it. Defence - forget it. Hi sskating was weak also, Mind you he was 37.

I think Bowman had enough too and by the end, he and Espo werent seeing much ice it seemed to me.

Murray you saw him - Was he like that in the 60's and did that account for his 1 lonely Cup?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I dont know about the 60's but in the Canada Cup 76, I was disappointed by Hull's play. If he touched the puck, by god he was gonna shoot it. Defence - forget it. Hi sskating was weak also, Mind you he was 37.

I think Bowman had enough too and by the end, he and Espo werent seeing much ice it seemed to me.

Murray you saw him - Was he like that in the 60's and did that account for his 1 lonely Cup?
I watched the 76 Canada cup as it happened. In fact I bought my first colour TV because of it. I haven't watched it since but I do remember Hull as being very dominant in that series. He had the most goals for Canada and was only one point behind Orr & potvin for most points. He was 37 & wasn't going end to end as in his prime but he still looked pretty good to me.

In the 60's, he was absolutely dominant. Fastest skater & hardest shot. Never had the greatest linemates. Hawks only won one cup but that was more a reflection of bad coaching & non clutch goaltending. Hull was the marquee player in the 60's. Would wind up behind his own net & go end to end & take the big shot. Scored over 50 when it meant something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad