Greatest of our lives

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Bonds last played a decade ago and was the best offensive player ever.

Mike Trout has averaged 9.5 WAR from the age of 20 - 25

Bonds didn't have his first season above 9.5 until he was 25

Bonds was absolutely amazing, but he didn't become God-like until after he had started using PED's

As far as we know, Trout is playing clean

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mike Trout has averaged 9.5 WAR from the age of 20 - 25

Bonds didn't have his first season above 9.5 until he was 25

Bonds was absolutely amazing, but he didn't become God-like until after he had started using PED's

As far as we know, Trout is playing clean

I seriously doubt Trout has ever been clean in his MLB career. Odds are a majority of elite players today are still using some form of performance enhancer, and Trout's unnaturally large neck is not doing him any favors either. I don't care or hold it against anyone, but it's not safe to just assume a player is clean just because they haven't been linked to PED usage.

1) To me, it looks like Trout's average WAR was more like 9.0 or 9.1.

2) WAR is a good example of how a stat that works for the majority does not always do so at the extremes. Barry Bonds was intentionally walked 688 times. According to at least one of the WAR calculations, those PAs did not provide any value to his team. Using a little common sense, it would seem that WAR is not perfect especially when defensive metrics are still very flawed and often contradictory with one another.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I seriously doubt Trout has ever been clean in his MLB career. Odds are a majority of elite players today are still using some form of performance enhancer, and Trout's unnaturally large neck is not doing him any favors either. I don't care or hold it against anyone, but it's not safe to just assume a player is clean just because they haven't been linked to PED usage.

1) To me, it looks like Trout's average WAR was more like 9.0 or 9.1.

2) WAR is a good example of how a stat that works for the majority does not always do so at the extremes. Barry Bonds was intentionally walked 688 times. According to at least one of the WAR calculations, those PAs did not provide any value to his team. Using a little common sense, it would seem that WAR is not perfect especially when defensive metrics are still very flawed and often contradictory with one another.

I was careful to say 'as far as we know, Trout is clean', because, yeah, we don't know for sure. And he certainly has some suspect physical features

The average 9.5 WAR came from Baseball Reference, but it may have been his average WAR over 162 games

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Someone mentioned Donald Bradman earlier in regards to cricket. I guess he must be really old? :sarcasm:

The greatest batsmen I've seen in my life in cricket are none other than Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar. As for bowlers, I have to go with Shane Warne.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sergei Bubka
Javier Sotomayor
Nikola Karabatic
Mike Tyson (?)
Teddy Riner
Lionel Messi
Roger Federer

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also
Jonathan Edwards
Mike Powell
Michael Phelps
Michael Schumacher
Valentino Rossi

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Someone mentioned Donald Bradman earlier in regards to cricket. I guess he must be really old? :sarcasm:

The greatest batsmen I've seen in my life in cricket are none other than Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar. As for bowlers, I have to go with Shane Warne.

He is really old, he also averaged 99 which Sachin was not even close to touching Or Ponting for that matter.

There's a reason Aussies were hyping Smith as the best batsman since Bradman.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Tyson for boxing? Yikes, no.

Too hard to name just one probably but if we were picking someone it'd probably have to be Roy Jones Jr. or Floyd Mayweather Jr.

As far as I'm concerned RJJ at his peak was the best of all time, let alone this generation. A complete freak.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Hockey- Mario Lemieux (Gretzky was already a bit older by the time I really began watching hockey seriously); followed by Jagr and Crosby
Basketball- Michael Jordan; followed by LeBron and Kobe
Baseball- Ken Griffey Jr; followed by Bonds, Pujols, Ichiro and Trout
Football- Tom Brady; followed by Manning and Rodgers
Tennis- Roger Federer (men's) and Serena Williams (women's); followed by Nadal and Graf in men's and women's, respectively
Soccer- Leo Messi; followed by both Ronaldo's, Zidane, Ronaldinho and the whole 2008-12 Spain squad
Swimming- Michael Phelps; followed by Lochte
Track- Usain Bolt; followed by Carl Lewis and Yohan Blake (and Donovan Bailey via my Canadian bias)
Golf- Tiger Woods; no one's even remotely close following big cat as I never watched Jack, Arnold, etc.
Boxing- Mayweather; followed by maybe Tyson but I didn't get to watch a whole lot of him tbh

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When it comes to Cricket Don Bradman is the most statistically dominant player and it is not close.

In fact you'd find it hard to find a more dominant player in any team sport than Bradman.

In Rugby the now retired Richie McCaw is going to be difficult to surpass.
Nope, google it, there are quite a few up there.
Bradman was during your lifetime? ;)

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Nope, google it, there are quite a few up there.
Bradman was during your lifetime? ;)

No there really aren't quite a few up there. Google it.

Did Don Bradman’s cricketing genius make him a statistical outlier? | StatsLife

AthleteSportStatisticStandard
deviations
BradmanCricketBatting average4.4
PeléAssociation footballGoals per game3.7
Ty CobbBaseballBatting average3.6
Jack NicklausGolfMajor titles3.5
Michael JordanBasketballPoints per game3.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Unless you actually understand Cricket, and I'm 99% sure you don't, you have no idea how significantly far beyond anyone else he is. For somebody to basically average a century is unfathomable and nobody else is even remotely close. There is no Mario or Orr level of close.

Go ahead and name these quite a few, this should be gold. "quite a few" statistically better in team sports than Bradman. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No there really aren't quite a few up there. Google it.

Did Don Bradman’s cricketing genius make him a statistical outlier? | StatsLife

AthleteSportStatisticStandard
deviations
BradmanCricketBatting average4.4
PeléAssociation footballGoals per game3.7
Ty CobbBaseballBatting average3.6
Jack NicklausGolfMajor titles3.5
Michael JordanBasketballPoints per game3.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Unless you actually understand Cricket, and I'm 99% sure you don't, you have no idea how significantly far beyond anyone else he is. For somebody to basically average a century is unfathomable and nobody else is even remotely close. There is no Mario or Orr level of close.

Go ahead and name these quite a few, this should be gold. "quite a few" statistically better in team sports than Bradman. I'll wait.
There is Jahangir Khan, a squash player, who was unbeaten for an incredible 555 games in a row, there is Karelin, who has a record of 887-2, Edwin Moses went undefeated from 1975 to 1987, for instance.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
There is Jahangir Khan, a squash player, who was unbeaten for an incredible 555 games in a row, there is Karelin, who has a record of 887-2, Edwin Moses went undefeated from 1975 to 1987, for instance.

For my money, Moses' achievements are the most amazing. 9 years, 9 months, and 9 days without losing a race, including heats. 122 consecutive wins, and then after finally being beaten he won 10 more in a row. Maybe most impressively, he still holds the 3rd, 7th, 8th, and 9th fastest times in history. Despite having retired in 1988. Men's 400m hurdles

Reactions: Eisen

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

I must have missed when Squash, Wrestling and Track were TEAM sports as I specified. Go back and try again.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I must have missed when Squash, Wrestling and Track were TEAM sports as I specified. Go back and try again.
Oh, you play that game. I must have missed where Bradman was during our lifetime. Go back again.
The OP specified that but didn't specify TEAM sports.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Oh, you play that game. I must have missed where Bradman was during our lifetime. Go back again.
The OP specified that but didn't specify TEAM sports.

My post you responded to specifically said team sport. So, again, try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad