• 2016-17 Pens

• 2013-15 Hawks

• 2012-14 Kings

Results are only viewable after voting.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Same could easily be said for Penguins and Capitals in 16,17,18 if we are playing hypotheticals. Pens have 3 cups in 3 years as many viewed the “real Stanley cup” that series.

No one was worried about the Caps in the playoffs the moment the 2nd round hit them cut the revisionist garbage. They were back then and still are today an incredibly weak team mentally and 2018 looks a lot more of a one off than what you are pretending they were in 16 and 17. Lose even more credibility when the 3rd rounds in 16 and 17 went to game 7 and game 7 OT while the Caps were never in danger of eliminating Pit. They lose to Philly if Neuvirth is in net all series and 5 of the 6 games against Toronto went to OT.. Caps easily could have been round 1 exits in both 2016 and 17

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Sure but they were the presidents trophy winners in 2016 and 2017 with 120 and 121 points. Pens and caps were the two best teams in the league during that period. Pens had to beat a juggernaut both years during their back to back cup wins.

The Caps have a well earned reputation for completely shitting the bed in the post season (still do today) they werent a playoff juggernaut at all with how mentally weak that team was with adversity. Caps in 2016 and 17 were struggling to even eliminate the Leafs and Flyers and it wasnt even just a goalie playing lights out they outright played like ass the moment the playoffs started.

They were 2 OT goals from being bounced in 5 games to the no d in defense Leafs (5 of the 6 games went to OT) and likely lose in round 1 in 2016 had the Flyers started Neuvirth the entire series instead of giving the Caps a 3-0 lead with Steve Mason allowing 12 goals in 3 games. Caps were a paper tiger then and still are today. 2018 was more a outlier than a true showing of what the team was.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Why do people keep saying hawks won 3 cups and mentioning the 2010 team even though the poll specifically says "13-15"?

Reactions: sanscosm

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Why do people keep saying hawks won 3 cups and mentioning the 2010 team even though the poll specifically says "13-15"?

Because this poll seems worded specifically to keep the Hawks from being the obvious choice. 2010, 13, and 15 were all the same core and coach, so they're the strongest team since no other core has a 3rd ring to cause debate.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Because this poll seems worded specifically to keep the Hawks from being the obvious choice. 2010, 13, and 15 were all the same core and coach, so they're the strongest team since no other core has a 3rd ring to cause debate.

The poll seems pretty straightforward, op listed years to compare teams. If we include 2010 then why not pens 09? Same core of Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury with 3 rings. Also another SCF in 08, which the hawks core can't match.

Reactions: sanscosm

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

People associate the 3 because they happened closer together than the Pens 3 cup wins. The Blackhawks won 3 cups in fewer years than the gap between the Penguins 1st and 2nd cups.

Its only a few people bringing up 2010 though. Most of the people voting for the Hawks are voting for the 13-15 runs.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
The poll seems pretty straightforward, op listed years to compare teams. If we include 2010 then why not pens 09? Same core of Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury with 3 rings. Also another SCF in 08, which the hawks core can't match.

As a Pens fan, I don't consider the 09 the same core as 16/17 outside of Sid and Geno. Letang was still very raw and developing in 09, Gonchar was our #1 guy on the blueline. Fleury only contributed to the 17 cup run while Murray was injured.

Hawks did 3 cups over 6 seasons with the same coach and core outside of Niemi/Crawford, Pens were 3 over 9 with different cores and coaches, not really comparable in my eyes.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
LA and Chicago had to play each other in the Conference finals in 2013 and 2014 though, with each one winning once. They both might have won 3 straight if they didn't have to face another team at this level. Tampa hasn't had the face that and it's arguable whether the Caps were that for the Pens.
I still think about that 2014 game 7 OT loss... what could have been..

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Both the Kings and Hawks also had that extra gear where they were just impossible to beat when their backs were against the wall. Hawks had some ridiculous unbeaten record in Games 5, 6, and 7 of a series for a couple years and the Kings faced elimination 7 times in 2014 and still won. Those two stats came face to face in Game 7 which, of course, couldn’t end any other way but a lucky bounce in overtime.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Between the Bolts and Hawks. Pens didn't have the D/goaltending combo the others had, while the Kings didn't have the gamebreaking offensive talent of the others. Can't go wrong with either the Bolts and Hawks. The Pens and Kings are certainly capable of beating them (as the Kings did to the Hawks in 2014), but they would each be the underdog against either team.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Between the Bolts and Hawks. Pens didn't have the D/goaltending combo the others had, while the Kings didn't have the gamebreaking offensive talent of the others. Can't go wrong with either the Bolts and Hawks. The Pens and Kings are certainly capable of beating them (as the Kings did to the Hawks in 2014), but they would each be the underdog against either team.

The 2016 Pens have a strong case for #2 best Cup winner since 2005 (2008 Wings #1). They would be pretty evenly matched against any other Cup winner.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Tampa has been in nearly every ECF in the last 8 years. Combine that with 2 cups, a cup final and the best regular season record of all time. Oh yeah and they are currently on back-to-back cup winning seasons.

Reactions: HUJILU

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The 2016 Pens have a strong case for #2 best Cup winner since 2005 (2008 Wings #1). They would be pretty evenly matched against any other Cup winner.
Pens have the 2 best players, but their d corps weren't as deep as the other 3. And for as good as Letang was in 2016, he's still no Keith, Doughty or Hedman.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Pens have the 2 best players, but their d corps weren't as deep as the other 3. And for as good as Letang was in 2016, he's still no Keith, Doughty or Hedman.

The 2016 Pens were the best puck possession team out of that group. They outshout their opponents by 7 shots on average.

Crosby and Malkin didn't have to be the 2 best players in the world for that team to win.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
LA and Chicago had to play each other in the Conference finals in 2013 and 2014 though, with each one winning once. They both might have won 3 straight if they didn't have to face another team at this level. Tampa hasn't had the face that and it's arguable whether the Caps were that for the Pens.

I have not read the entire thread so someone might already have responded to that:

It is not a good argument. The Pens and the Caps faced each other 3 years in a row from 2016 to 2018 and the winner won the Cup each time. They were the two best teams those years, just like the Hawks and Kings before. You could easily argue that the Pens AND Caps could have won 3 in a row. Heck, I'd say that the Caps won with the weakest team during that run (and the Pens too in 2017).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I have not read the entire thread so someone might already have responded to that:

It is not a good argument. The Pens and the Caps faced each other 3 years in a row from 2016 to 2018 and the winner won the Cup each time. They were the two best teams those years, just like the Hawks and Kings before. You could easily argue that the Pens AND Caps could have won 3 in a row. Heck, I'd say that the Caps won with the weakest team during that run (and the Pens too in 2017).

Sure it is. You're missing the point of that exchange. I was responding to EasyforKuzy suggesting that Tampa and Pittsburgh deserve more credit for going back to back. My point wasn't that LA and Chicago necessarily deserve more credit for the potential to have 3 in a row, but that they shouldn't be punished for having to play one another. If a couple bounces the other way meant they both went back to back instead of alternating, I don't believe it would suddenly change how good the teams are.

I did mention the Caps for Pittsburgh, and it's a similar situation, where I don't think the Caps and Pens swap winning in '17 and '18 would diminish the Pens team. That said, I don't believe the Caps are quite the same situation, because unlike Chicago and LA they didn't show that they can regularly win in the playoffs, so the idea that they were the two best teams doesn't hold quite as much weight, and they also played in the second round, instead of the third, which means an extra round for something to go wrong.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Sure it is. You're missing the point of that exchange. I was responding to EasyforKuzy suggesting that Tampa and Pittsburgh deserve more credit for going back to back. My point wasn't that LA and Chicago necessarily deserve more credit for the potential to have 3 in a row, but that they shouldn't be punished for having to play one another. If a couple bounces the other way meant they both went back to back instead of alternating, I don't believe it would suddenly change how good the teams are.

I did mention the Caps for Pittsburgh, and it's a similar situation, where I don't think the Caps and Pens swap winning in '17 and '18 would diminish the Pens team. That said, I don't believe the Caps are quite the same situation, because unlike Chicago and LA they didn't show that they can regularly win in the playoffs, so the idea that they were the two best teams doesn't hold quite as much weight, and they also played in the second round, instead of the third, which means an extra round for something to go wrong.

Fair enough.

I disagree that the Caps failure before and after should be factored in. If we do factor those in, then, we have to consider that the Kings were good for 3-4 years and that's about it.

If you look at the 2016-2018 Caps, to me, they were absolutely the best team we faced each year. Things could have gone wrong for them in the third round or in the SCF, that's for sure. However, I frankly believe that those 3 series determined, in a way, the Cup winner. Just like you are saying the Hawks and Kings was the real SCF (which I agree with).

My point is that if you give credit to the Hawks and Kings going through each other, you kinda have to include the Caps/Pens dynamic.

At the end of the day, I feel like all 4 franchises were great champions and it is very difficult to rank them. Heck, for all we know, the Lightning run is not over yet.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dude I get you totally underestimated them last year and acted like a fool but there's no need to make up BS just because your still hurt.

What are you even talking about ? lol. The OP made this thread before the finals was done and stated the Lightning had won 2 cups in a row, to which I replied "The disrespect to Montreal" as the series was still alive. What did I make up ? lol are you ok man ?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Tampa Bay.

Other than the 2021 Conference Finals against New York Islanders, when have they actually been tested and/or in danger of losing a series?

Even in that 2021 Islanders series, they looked to be in-control the entire series and not too many people thought they would actually lose that Game 7.

Reactions: HUJILU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad