Greatest Montreal Canadiens Player of All-Time? (No goalies)

Greatest Montreal Canadiens player of all-time?

• Maurice Richard

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Jean Béliveau

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Guy Lafleur

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Howie Morenz

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Doug Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No goalies.

Re-doing the thread since the last one was ruined by an ambiguous term.

Poll is private.

Restricted the choices to Richard, Béliveau, Lafleur, Harvey and Morenz.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Only saw Béliveau and Lafleur play....but had to go with the Rocket cuz of the story my dad and uncle told me..... and the few tapes i saw

Like Tramux said, no bad choice there tho

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This kind of thread has been done so many times before.

I actually liked the fastest Habs skater idea as in speediest skater.

Too bad this is what the thread is about. Good luck with it.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
The thing with Richard is he has one stat that he's very dominant in amongst his peers and compared to other players in different eras: playoffs goal scoring. Only Lemieux, Bossy (higher scoring era) and Pederson, Guentzel (low sample size) are in front of him. But isn't it one of the most important stats you can be great at? The guy could score at will in championship games. That's what I call a "great" player. One who's great in critical moments and makes his team win the great prize. Beliveau isnt that far behind him in that regard and his higher number of championships makes him enter the conversation.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Going with Larry or Beliveau, its a tie for me. Probably leaning towards Larry because of the style of hockey he had to transition through in his career and how the league really changed.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I’m bias because lafleur is the only one I ever seen play. He gets my vote.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Good stuff, keep the votes coming

Respectfully, I think you've really limited yourself with your selections. Some more recent/relevant players would help. The players you selected basically say you must be 40+ to participate.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Respectfully, I think you've really limited yourself with your selections. Some more recent/relevant players would help. The players you selected basically say you must be 40+ to participate.

I'm pretty young and never saw Lafleur, Richard, etc. play but which recent player would you even considerate above them? Markov Koivu, Paccioretty, Kovalev(?) were probably the most talented players and with no dis-respect to them as good players they are not in the same tier as the players proposed in the poll...

Reactions: dralaf

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I'm pretty young and never saw Lafleur, Richard, etc. play but which recent player would you even considerate above them? Markov Koivu, Paccioretty, Kovalev(?) were probably the most talented players and with no dis-respect to them as good players they are not in the same tier as the players proposed in the poll...

Right, but it is a different era.

I'm not making the argument that we have had better players, just that, same as you I never saw any of those players play a whole hockey game. I've read about them sure, seen clips sure but I can't participate in this poll because I have no valid base to my opinion of which of these players are the best.

But as @Runner77 said, I like these polls, but they've been done. I prefer to focus on the future at this point!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Right, but it is a different era.

I'm not making the argument that we have had better players, just that, same as you I never saw any of those players play a whole hockey game. I've read about them sure, seen clips sure but I can't participate in this poll because I have no valid base to my opinion of which of these players are the best.

But as @Runner77 said, I like these polls, but they've been done. I prefer to focus on the future at this point!

Ahhhh yes I get what you're saying. Idk if someone made a poll about best player since the 2000's but that could be interesting for sure.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
These discussions are why I avoid comparing eras and slotting players. Howie Morenz was judged the best player of his era. Rocket, it was between him and Gordie Howe for many. Mr. Beliveau is in a class by himself for me. Guy Lafleur was the most exciting player I saw. Doug Harvey was a key member of the greatest hockey dynasty.

...and Jacques Plante may be my favorite Hab of all time.

They were all great in their era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad