Greatest Leafs last 40 years Round 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What are you talking about? I watched every game Clark played in and he was stud since day ONE. He had one of the best Shots, was one of the hardest hitters and one of the best fighters in the league. Plus he was clutch in the playoffs. The only issues was his health. Everyone loved the way he played. Even fans of other teams. Quebec gave up Sundin for him. That alone shows how respected he was around the league. That wimp kessel couldn't even lift Clark's Sherwood stick.

Kessel back checked harder.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Vaive was way before my time as I am 25 but considering the differences in the league and the above quote I still think Kessel is better. Maybe it is closer than I think.

What's the joke? He's been the best player on this team for years whether you like it or not.

He's a crappy hockey player who can skate fast. That is a fact whether you can accept it or not.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

from 1988-1992 fans were calling him a bust and always phoned in the radio station to demand him to get traded.

This is a misrepresentation of how it really was. Clark was hugely popularity in those years. He was loved in Toronto and routinely drew the loudest cheers from the crowd. Sadly, injuries impacted his career significantly. But it was always an awesome game when Wendel was back in the lineup. He had a way of inspiring fans that only Gilmour ever came close to replicating.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
May not be fair to judge Vaive with a modern perspective but he wouldn't have scored over 25 in his prime years against modern goaltending (and goaltending equipment). A high percentage of Vaive's goals were heavy slap shot blasts from the right wing top of faceoff circle. Players just don't score that way any longer and none get the time necessary for big windups any longer. On the other side, he had to put up with an insane amount of abuse and interference that modern players escape.

And Kessel wouldn't score 20 using Vaive's stick.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Cujo took this team to the semi finals in 1999.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000381999.html

And again in 2002 when Sundin and a bunch of others were out injured.

I know. I was in the building for all those games.

Saw both Goalies play live countless times, Belfour was the best goalie I've seen (I don't remember much before Palmateer) play for the Leafs by a pretty good margin.

Cujo was a great swimmer, I'll give him that.

I'd describe Clark as indifferent in the defensive zone.

I'd say Kessel was more indifferent while in the Defensive Zone but he had a better time hustling back.

Probably the only player I've seen dog it back more to their own end was Domi. You don't see these things on tv though as the player is out of the frame.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
What a complete and utter embarrassment that Phil Kessel is gonna win this poll. I'm actually ashamed to call myself a Leaf fan right now.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He's a crappy hockey player who can skate fast. That is a fact whether you can accept it or not.

What a foolish post. The guy is top 5 in scoring over the past few years and scores a lot of goals plus gets paid 8 mil a year to play hockey. He's an elite player in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I know. I was in the building for all those games.

Saw both Goalies play live countless times, Belfour was the best goalie I've seen (I don't remember much before Palmateer) play for the Leafs by a pretty good margin.

Cujo was a great swimmer, I'll give him that.

Basically completely contrasting styles. One was reactionary, the other positional. Either way, we were spoiled.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Basically completely contrasting styles. One was reactionary, the other positional. Either way, we were spoiled.

Agreed.

I think for me watching Cujo before he became a Leaf I thought he was great, while Belfour never impressed me. After watching both as Leafs my opinion of each was reversed.

Cujo I put more in the Potvin bracket while Belfour is in a class by himself.

I could see how Josephs impact on the Leafs could be viewed as greater as the Team won more. I don't think anyone would argue Joseph was overall the better Goalie of the two.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Pretty hard to convince me that any of these players were better than Kessel.

Mogilny at the tail end of his career was still as explosive a winger as they came. The way he danced through people with the puck was magical. Kessel still gets my vote, but i'm actually shocked at everyone else with votes.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

OK - we get it....you highly dislike Kessel. How is being in the top 5 over the last 4 or so season in goals scored considered a crappy hockey player? Did he score all those by skating fast into an empty net....? Plus, consider the teams he played on compared to those others in the top 5, and the teams they played on......

But, I guess it's fun to totally dump on a guy, especially once he's traded.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
OK - we get it....you highly dislike Kessel. How is being in the top 5 over the last 4 or so season in goals scored considered a crappy hockey player? Did he score all those by skating fast into an empty net....? Plus, consider the teams he played on compared to those others in the top 5, and the teams they played on......

But, I guess it's fun to totally dump on a guy, especially once he's traded.

I don't dislike Kessel. I've never met him. As a hockey player I have zero use for players like him. Soft. Lazy. Floater. Won't do what the coaches ask of him. Allowing other players to win foot races so as to avoid contact, low hockey IQ, won't battle for the puck ....etc etc etc Just not my cup of tea. You don't have to take it personally that our opinions are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad