Greatest LA KING of All Time

?

• Total voters

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Gretzky is quite easily the most dominant LA King ever, but Dionne played 400 more games and had 400 more points.

Does Gretzky's dominance outweigh those extra games for Dionne?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I go back and forth here. Dionne had the best regular-season career. Gretzky was better at his best as a King, but it wasn't that much better to make up for Dionne's longevity. However, Dionne did nothing in the playoffs. Gretzky actually took the Kings to the finals with an incredible 40-point playoff run. He also put hockey on the map in California. In general, I would say he brought more value to the franchise, but at the same time, he's more famous as an Oiler.

On the flip side, Kopitar and Doughty were elite players for a decade and were the pillars of the most successful era in team history, winning the only two cups. They're not the same quality of player though.

I think those are the only 4 with an argument though. I don't see the case for Robitaille. The difference in games played is minimal, and Dionne was a significantly better player. More points, better finishes, more awards. Luc was a little better in the playoffs, but it's not as if he had way more team success, and his numbers in the finals run with Gretzky were underwhelming given his regular season totals (from 1.49 to 0.92 PPG).

Reactions: wetcoast

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Gretzky has the 168 and 163 point seasons with them. Plus the 40 point playoff on route to the finals. That’s enough for me. Maybe if Dionne had playoff success but he was just like joe Thornton.

Reactions: JLaw1719 and snipes

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It’s Dionne pretty easily. Gretz spent ages 19-27 in Edmonton, his legend was built there. When you think LA Kings, Dionne and Robitaille stick out.

Reactions: sufferer

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Kopitar or Doughty, went with Kopitar. Could have been Quick but was elite for like only 3-4 years

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Very clearly Gretzky.

Dionne would be a fine pick if they had anything resembling success during his tenure. Not his fault, but he played nearly a dozen seasons for them and played a grand total of 43 playoff games in a league where 12 out of 17/18 teams and then later 16 out of 21 teams made it.

Reactions: Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->