Greatest International Scorers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

Here is my list of Greatest International Scorers. It uses the same method that all of my other scoring lists use but, this only includes the scoring results from best on best international tournaments.

What is included is Canada Cups from 1976, 81, 84. 87, 91.
World Cups from 1996, 2004
Olympics from 1998, 2002

To use the 1972 summit series would be unfair as, only two countries participated in that. Using world championships would also skew the results because the best players in the world are usually competing for the Stanley Cup during that tournament.

So, here are the greatest performers in international play. After #1 there are many surprises.

1 Wayne Gretzky 31
2 Brett Hull 17.5
3 John LeClair 10.5
4 Mats Sundin 10.2
5 Paul Coffey 10
6 Mike Modano 7.84
7 Mario Lemieux 7.2
8 Frederik Modin 7
9 Joe Sakic 6.64
10 Sergei Makarov 6.5
Teemu Selanne 6.5
Saku Koivu 6.5
13 Viktor Zhluktov 6
Bobby Orr 6
Denis Potvin 6
Mike Bossy 6
Steve Larmer 6
Vincent Lecavalier 6
19 Pavel Bure 5
Michel Goulet 5
Kent Nilsson 5
22 Gilbert Perreault 4.5
Bryan Trottier 4.5
Guy Lafleur 4.5
Alexei Kasatonov 4.5
26 Vladimir Krutov 4
27 Mark Messier 3.17
28 Milan Novy 3
Bobby Hull 3
Hakan Loob 3
Vyacheslav Bykov 3
Doug Weight 3
Brian Leetch 3
Jere Lehtinen 3
Alexei Yashin 3
Sergei Fedorov 3
37 Keith Tkachuk 2.14
Martin Havlat 2.14
Joe Thornton 2.14
Kimmo Timonen 2.14
Daniel Alfredsson 2.14
42 Ray Bourque 2
43 John Tonelli 1.5
44 Marian Hossa 1.2
Steve Yzerman 1.2
Nicklas Lidstrom 1.2
47 Jeremy Roenick 0.2
Craig Janney 0.2
Al MacInnis 0.2
Christian Ruuttu 0.2
Phil Esposito 0.2
Borje Salming 0.2
Vladimir Vikulov 0.2
Vladimir Martinec 0.2
Alexander Maltsev 0.2
56 Valeri Kamensky 0.17
Andrei Khomutov 0.17
Viacheslav Fetisov 0.17
Anatoli Semenov 0.17
Larry Murphy 0.17
61 Andrei Kovalenko 0.125
Daniel Alfredsson 0.125
Joe Nieuwendyk 0.125
Pavel Patera 0.125
Eric Lindros 0.125
Jaromir Jagr 0.125
Peter Forsberg 0.125
Jari Kurri 0.125

Ogopogo*

arrbez said:
just out of curiosity, howcome you didn't use the world juniors?

I will use that in a future study but, I considered that to be totally different than best on best tournaments. Many, many players in World Juniors never even make the NHL, let alone star in it. It is a different animal and it should be separated, IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Very interesting. I would think an obvious name that might surprise some people is John LeClair. Fact is, he's been a contributer for the U.S. on several occasions.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I wouldn't call this a list of greatest international scorers. I would say it's a list of top scorers from recent senior best-on-best tournaments. Truth be told, only two of the events listed are actually sanctioned by the IIHF. As much as it would skewer the ratings, I think the world championships should be included, as it is the most prestigious international tournament in the world, and certainly the most prestigious annual IIHF tournament. (Over in Europe, the Worlds are a bigger deal than the Stanley Cup). I don't think including the WU20 would skewer the ratings that much, as most players only get two or three cracks at it, and most of the players (with some exceptions) who rank among the top scorers in WJC history have starred in the NHL.

Still, a commendable effort.

Ogopogo*

God Bless Canada said:
I wouldn't call this a list of greatest international scorers. I would say it's a list of top scorers from recent senior best-on-best tournaments. Truth be told, only two of the events listed are actually sanctioned by the IIHF. As much as it would skewer the ratings, I think the world championships should be included, as it is the most prestigious international tournament in the world, and certainly the most prestigious annual IIHF tournament. (Over in Europe, the Worlds are a bigger deal than the Stanley Cup). I don't think including the WU20 would skewer the ratings that much, as most players only get two or three cracks at it, and most of the players (with some exceptions) who rank among the top scorers in WJC history have starred in the NHL.

Still, a commendable effort.

Thank you for the kind words.

Although the WC is very prestigious in Europe, it is certainly not a place where many of the world's best showcase their talents. Even this year, during the lockout, many of the best players on the planet chose not to play. It simply is not a correct measure.

I will do a separate list for World Juniors. Since many players from junior never have a successful pro career, it is a whole different animal, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Ogopogo said:
Here is my list of Greatest International Scorers. It uses the same method that all of my other scoring lists use but, this only includes the scoring results from best on best international tournaments.

What is included is Canada Cups from 1976, 81, 84. 87, 91.
World Cups from 1996, 2004
Olympics from 1998, 2002

To use the 1972 summit series would be unfair as, only two countries participated in that. Using world championships would also skew the results because the best players in the world are usually competing for the Stanley Cup during that tournament.

So, here are the greatest performers in international play. After #1 there are many surprises.

1 Wayne Gretzky 31
2 Brett Hull 17.5
3 John LeClair 10.5
4 Mats Sundin 10.2
5 Paul Coffey 10
6 Mike Modano 7.84
7 Mario Lemieux 7.2
8 Frederik Modin 7
9 Joe Sakic 6.64
10 Sergei Makarov 6.5
Teemu Selanne 6.5
Saku Koivu 6.5
13 Viktor Zhluktov 6
Bobby Orr 6
Denis Potvin 6
Mike Bossy 6
Steve Larmer 6
Vincent Lecavalier 6
19 Pavel Bure 5
Michel Goulet 5
Kent Nilsson 5
22 Gilbert Perreault 4.5
Bryan Trottier 4.5
Guy Lafleur 4.5
Alexei Kasatonov 4.5
26 Vladimir Krutov 4
27 Mark Messier 3.17
28 Milan Novy 3
Bobby Hull 3
Hakan Loob 3
Vyacheslav Bykov 3
Doug Weight 3
Brian Leetch 3
Jere Lehtinen 3
Alexei Yashin 3
Sergei Fedorov 3
37 Keith Tkachuk 2.14
Martin Havlat 2.14
Joe Thornton 2.14
Kimmo Timonen 2.14
Daniel Alfredsson 2.14
42 Ray Bourque 2
43 John Tonelli 1.5
44 Marian Hossa 1.2
Steve Yzerman 1.2
Nicklas Lidstrom 1.2
47 Jeremy Roenick 0.2
Craig Janney 0.2
Al MacInnis 0.2
Christian Ruuttu 0.2
Phil Esposito 0.2
Borje Salming 0.2
Vladimir Vikulov 0.2
Vladimir Martinec 0.2
Alexander Maltsev 0.2
56 Valeri Kamensky 0.17
Andrei Khomutov 0.17
Viacheslav Fetisov 0.17
Anatoli Semenov 0.17
Larry Murphy 0.17
61 Andrei Kovalenko 0.125
Daniel Alfredsson 0.125
Joe Nieuwendyk 0.125
Pavel Patera 0.125
Eric Lindros 0.125
Jaromir Jagr 0.125
Peter Forsberg 0.125
Jari Kurri 0.125

you included players like havlat, lecavalier,... and no richel, ruzicka,
runquist, lukac, larionov,...weird list...what's the supposed to be? best inetrnational scorer is not for sure :teach:

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Very interesting. I would think an obvious name that might surprise some people is John LeClair. Fact is, he's been a contributer for the U.S. on several occasions.
I wish he would have been included for the past World Cup squad. I know his numbers from the NHL season weren't great,but it always seemed like he picked his game up in international tournaments.

Ogopogo*

e-e said:
you included players like havlat, lecavalier,... and no richel, ruzicka,
runquist, lukac, larionov,...weird list...what's the supposed to be? best inetrnational scorer is not for sure :teach:

Those players were not excellent in the Canada Cup, World Cup or 1998, 2002 Olympics. They may have done well in other tournaments but, when it is best on best, they did not.

Ogopogo*

arrbez said:
Didn't Gretzky destroy the junior tournament? I can't remember how many years he played in it though

He only played once at age 16. He won the scoring title and made the all star team.

Oddly enough, that was something that Crosby didn't even do at 17.

Not trying to bash Crosby at all, just saying that even he will probably come nowhere near Gretzky in terms of greatness. He will likely be a very good player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogopogo*

Vikke said:
Forsberg or Bure will be on top, I think. ;)

Nylander was amazing in the world juniors too. I think those three players will be right up there with Lindros and one or two others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->