Greatest group of prospects on a single CHL team in the last decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Inspired by the end of the "London Knights Prospects" thread I would like to have peoples opinions on the greatest group of prospects on a single CHL team in a single season in the last decade.

Teams that were brought up in the last thread

-The current London Knights with Perry, Schremp, Bolland, Kell
-The 2nd half 98-99 Barrie Colts with Keefe, Danton, Shvidki, Tkaczuk, Henrich, Skoula, Barnes
-The 99-00 Erie Otters with Boyes, Alexeev, Rupp, Colaiacovo, Munro

Here are some that I'd like to nominate
-The 99-00 Plymouth Whalers with Williams, Weiss, Surma, Kurka, Ustrnul
-The 00-01 Windsor Spitfires with Spezza, Ott, Gleason, Nittel, Leighton
-The 00-01 Brampton Battalion with Torres, Klesla, McCelement, Harrison, Henrich, Finley
-The 99-00 Hull Olympiques with Ryder, Giroux, Vrbata, Sauve
-The 99-00 Calgary Hitmen with Moran, Brendl, Beech, Nielsen, and Krahn
-The 99-00 Quebec Remparts with Chouinard, Ribeiro, Grenier, Safronov, Kudroc, Ouellet
THE 2000-2001 Red Deer Rebels with Mapletoft, Wanvig, Erat, Armstrong, Vandermeer, Lupaschuk, Gordon, Woywitka, Meech, Ward,
So out of these, which is the greatest group of prospects? Can you think of any that are equal or better than the groups i listed?

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
How about the 1995-96 OHL Greyhounds?

Joe Thornton
Richard Jackman
Rico Fata
Dan Cloutier

Four first round picks, three high ones. Probably not a group for the ages, but not bad for five minutes of research at Hockeydb.com ;-)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
03-04 Calgary Hitmen: Getzlaf, Segal, Ladd, Egener, Shultz, Rogers, Carson

Really the only year in a while we haven't had a good import player too.

Reilly311

The 99-00 Erie Otters with Boyes, Alexeev, Rupp, Colaiacovo, Munro

Meh, that team had a lot of busts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Kamloops Blazers circa mid 80's to mid 90's were always good. This one in particular is probobly one of the best, if not the best:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009951994.html

Jarome Iginla, Darcy Tucker, Shane Doan, Tyson Nash, Hnat Dominichelli, Nolan Baumgartner, Scott Ferguson, Jason Holland, Jason Strudwick, Brad Lukowich, Chris Murray, Dave Wilkie, Steve Passmoore, and Cam Seversen all made it to the NHL at some point.

EDIT: This 1994, so just barely within the decade mark ;)

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
JNRhockeyGURU said:
-The 99-00 Calgary Hitmen with Moran, Brendl, Beech, Nielsen, and Krahn

i believe you're missing matt kinch, jordan krestanovich, jerred smithson, matt pettinger, wade davis, owen fussey, stephen peat, brandon segal, rastislav stana, and hell, johnny boychuk and his handful of games that year :D

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
97-98 Portland Winterhawks

Brenden Morrow
Marion Hossa
Andrej Podkonicky
Andrew Ference
Josh Green
Matt Walker
Joey Tetarenko
Jason Labarbera

also their all time leading scorer Todd Robinson

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How about the '03-'04 Kitchener Ranger Memorial Cup winners?

Derek Roy, Mike Richards, Petr Kanko, Steve Eminger, Greg Campbell, Evan McGrath... Not a bad bunch, but not necessarily anything spectacular.

'94-'95 Brandon Wheat Kings were a solid team that lost to the Iginla and Doan led Kamloops Blazers in the WHL Finals. However, because Kamloops was hosting, the Wheat Kings were allowed to enter the Memorial Cup and made it to the semifinals before losing to Bryan Berard and the Detroit Jr. Red Wings.

Some of the players from that team that made the NHL were Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Oleg Tverdovsky (played for 7 games with them before the NHL season resumed), Sven Butenschon, Mike LeClerc, Marty Murray, Peter Schaefer, Chris Dingman, and Justin Kurtz. Also, Mark Dutiaume, Colin Cloutier and Darren Van Oene were two high second round NHL picks on that team that never panned out.

Edit: forgot Dutiaume.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm pretty impressed by the current Moncton Wildcats.

Steve Bernier
Adam Pineault
Martin Karsums
Bruce Graham
Nathan Saunders
Corey Crawford

Stephane Goulet is also drafted, but not really anything special I'm afraid.

Oskars Bartulis is going to be drafted this year, he has been a huge surprise with his great play so far this season, playing 25-30 minutes a game alongside Saunders. However, he didn't dress for their game Thursday night against Quebec, and I didn't look into if he was hurt or not.

ANyhow, its a pretty good group of guys. Four guys picked in teh first two rounds in recent years is impressive to me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As far as this year goes, I too like Calgary. Rimouski as well.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Thanks for the posting, alot of good prospects and players in this thread, but how about the best group of prospects that made the best team. Looking at some of those teams they may have had great prospects but did the teams do extremely well? I know SSM with Fata, Thornton didn't do much. I know KW, Plymouth and Erie were good, but better than London of '03 or this year? London did set the record for most points in OHL history while in a very tough division and conference.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm pretty impressed by the current Moncton Wildcats.

Steve Bernier
Adam Pineault
Martin Karsums
Bruce Graham
Nathan Saunders
Corey Crawford

Doesn't compare to:

Brule
Meszaros
Schwarz
Fistric
Courchaine

Or even...

Getzlaf
Ladd
Rogers
Schultz

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
KINGLEWOOD said:
Don't forget about Pushkarev, he's going to be a big part of that team.

he's talking about LAST year, as segal is no longer on the team, and hasn't been since december 03. he's a milwaukee admiral\nashville predator :)

by the way, in the original post...brian finley was also part of that 98-99 barrie colts memorial cup team. in fact, he was largely responsible for their success.

here's to hoping he can find that level of play, again :banghead:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Chainshot said:
How about the '03-'04 Kitchener Ranger Memorial Cup winners?

Derek Roy, Mike Richards, Petr Kanko, Steve Eminger, Greg Campbell, Evan McGrath... Not a bad bunch, but not necessarily anything spectacular.
The '02-'03 Rangers were a good team, but did not have anywhere near the calibre of players of some of the other teams mentioned in this thread. If I recall correctly, no player was in the top 3 in any category (although I believe Benoit led all defensemen in points for the regular season). It was just a very good all-round team that played to their full potential that year.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Meh, that team had a lot of busts.

So did the Barrie Colts, 5 first round picks in their line up (Tkazcuk, Finley, Henrich, Skoula and Shiviki) and not one of them has amounted into anything special.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
In the last decade? Easy. My hometown Kamloops Blazers in 1994.

Mark Recchi, Darryl Sydor, Scott Niedermeyer and Rob Brown had just left town after a couple of Memorial Cups and then in 1994 the third Cup came with these prospects:

Jarome Iginla, Shane Doan, Darcy Tucker, Nolan Baumgartner.

1994 was a good year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
VanIslander said:
In the last decade? Easy. My hometown Kamloops Blazers in 1994.

Mark Recchi, Darryl Sydor, Scott Niedermeyer and Rob Brown had just left town after a couple of Memorial Cups and then in 1994 the third Cup came with these prospects:

Jarome Iginla, Shane Doan, Darcy Tucker, Nolan Baumgartner.

1994 was a good year.

don't forget Hnat "I can score like it's going out of style at every level of hockey EXCEPT the NHL" Dominichelli!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
nomorekids said:
don't forget Hnat "I can score like it's going out of style at every level of hockey EXCEPT the NHL" Dominichelli!

There were a ton of guys like Dominichelli in the Dub during the mid-90s: Marty Murray, Lonny Bohonos, Quinn Hancock, Byron Ritchie, Jason Krywulak, etc.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
1979-1981 Cornwall Royals won two Memorial Cups with guys like

Dale Hawerchuk - 1188 games and 1409 points
Doug Gilmour - 1474 games and 1414 points
Scott Arniel
Marc Crawford
Bobby Hull Jr.
Robert Savard
etc...

Status