Greatest Goaltender of All-Time? (merged)

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
makaveli92 said:
Neatoooooooooo! An all-time goalie thread.

Cool observation, and in many ways true. But I think they'd match up more like this talent/skill wise:

Hasek-Hall - The dominant type who would win games for their teams, because they had to. Buffalo and Chicago weren't exactly powerhouses of their day and each only have 1 Cup ring because of it. Hasek cleaned up on the Vezinas where Hall kept getting named first team all-star, which is equivalent seeing as the Vezina was the lowest GAA back then. Both broke away from their peers to create their own style regarding stopping the puck. While many acknowledge Hall's contributions to the game by inventing the butterfly, Hasek really impacted the position as well, just not as directly. Maybe the best goalies of their generation but get overlooked because of Cup wins. Durablity is really a huge difference here, but as a talent analysis I'd say they're similiar.

Roy-Sawchuk - Both winners, both clutch. 1-2 in all-time wins. They are both generally considered the 'best' of their era because of their ability to win. They both seem to have an extra gear that they can turn on where they are unbeatable. Roy I know this because I've seen it, and Sawchuk based solely on shutouts and reading about his brillance.

Broduer-Plante- Both winners, not in the sense they stole game but made the right saves at the right time while playing behind some very good teams. Plante and Brodeur both really played the puck remarkably in their respective eras and really had a huge impact on the team that they were on becasue of this. Plante won Vezinas and Brodeur won Jennings trophies. Not too many goals were scored on these guys.
I would disagree with your Hasel-Hall comments. Chicago during the Hall era was a offensive powehouse who did not generally depend on Hall to win their games. Hall was playing on a very good team. in 63-64, they had 5 players on the first all star team. As much as I like Hall and he was great, other than 1961, he really didn't come up big in the playoffs. Same for Detroit in 1956 & 1957 which is why he was dealt to chicago, Hasek played for much inferior teams & was much more clutch.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
murray said:
I would disagree with your Hasel-Hall comments. Chicago during the Hall era was a offensive powehouse who did not generally depend on Hall to win their games. Hall was playing on a very good team. in 63-64, they had 5 players on the first all star team. As much as I like Hall and he was great, other than 1961, he really didn't come up big in the playoffs. Same for Detroit in 1956 & 1957 which is why he was dealt to chicago, Hasek played for much inferior teams & was much more clutch.

Cool. I can handle being corrected about the quality of the teams Hall played for. I honestly don't know. I assumed with one Cup Hall was relegated to a somewhat mediocre squad, because I do know he was quite the goalie who put up some pretty good numbers up in any era and on any team. Seven first team all-star selections and one Cup added up more to Hasek than Brodeur.

And I do know both Hasek and Hall have had a huge impact on the way the position is played. But my analysis of the teams in front of Hall is minimal.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
i'll try and revive this thread.

IMO i'll go with the homer pick and choose hasek. Not only did I see him play live more the any other goalie but some of the things that he did on the ice were absoultly unbelieveable. lets face it, without Dom on that buffalo team they miss the playoffs every single year and the fact that he carried the '99 team to game 6 of the cup finals where they had no place being is amazing. hasek is the only goalie that i can remember that if his team scored 2 goals, they were pretty much guranteed at least a tie, b/c on the majority of the nights you were not gonna get 3 past Dom.

Honorable mention does go out to patty roy. being a sabres fan, i saw too much of roy back in the early 90's and before the sabres got hasek it seemed like they could never solve roy.

i never really saw any of the other greatest goalies play so my list would be
1. Hasek
2. Roy
3. all the others

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
I would have to say Roy is the greatest because he won multiple championships in an era of the greatest offensive players of all time like Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Bossy, Hull, etc. Remember that these guys were scoring 60,70,80 goals on a regular basis...yet Roy won more playoff MVP titles (3 Conn Smythe's) than any of these titans of hockey which in itself speaks for his true worth...yes Hasek had better regular seasons but even he could not duplicate Roy's playoff dominance.....and may I add that in a very close 2nd comes Terry Sawchuck whose own dominance of his era is equal to Roy....and in 3rd we have the great innovator Jacques Plante....followed by Hasek and Brodeur. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Hasek, but my criteria is very different. I put much more stock into prime level (regardless of how long, but at least a few years preferably). Roy had more dominant years but Hasek was a freak of nature for a 3 year stretch.

mytor4*

undicded between roy and dryden. once brodeur's career is over he may end up being my first choice but for now it's a tie between roy and dryden for me.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Sawchuk...five straight seasons under 2.00 GAA, 6 straight with at least 9 shutouts. 103 career shutouts. The greatest dynasty of all time (habs 56-60) only started winning cups when Terry moved from Detroit to Boston. In '51-'52 he allowed more than 30 less goals than second place Montreal then recorded 4 shutouts in 8 games in the great playoff sweep and never allowed a goal on Olympia ice.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Bower was the greatest goalie of all time?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Roy
Sawchuk
Hasek
Plante
Brodeur

I'm going to leave Hall off this list. He is being replaced by Brodeur as of now IMO. Hall may have had 11 post season all-star selections but he only won one Cup and has a pretty bad playoff record as well. This may be going out on a limb but I put Brodeur at #5 of all time.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
Roy
Sawchuk
Hasek
Plante
Brodeur

I'm going to leave Hall off this list. He is being replaced by Brodeur as of now IMO. Hall may have had 11 post season all-star selections but he only won one Cup and has a pretty bad playoff record as well. This may be going out on a limb but I put Brodeur at #5 of all time.

Hall only played 500+ games...

...IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wetcoaster

Sawchuk
Plante
Hasek
Hall
Brodeur
Dryden
Roy - was not even the best goalie of his time.

capn89*

from a Flyers fan, Martin Brodeur. And sorry to burst anyone's bubble but in my opinion NHL players of old (both skaters and goalies) have absolutely nothing on today's talent and I would never consider any of those flopping fish out of water "best in the history of the NHL."

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Right now, Sawchuk

But Brodeur is on pace to eclipse all records, except GAA, SV%, and Conn Smythes. Games played, wins, playoff wins, shutouts....and don't call me a homer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->