Greatest Goaltender of All-Time? (merged)

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
Voted Hasek

We can discuss on where you put him on the "list" I agree with that part! But he also won single-handed the gold medal at the Nagano Olympics, I believe he shot down the best snipers in the World in the final.

It is not only the Vezina's (6) and the MVP (2), Lester B. Pearson Award (2) and the list go's on and on! He set a new standard for goaltenders, a standard that only Theodore reached 1 time in his career and nobody else!

He is a winner, if he wasen't a winner he never got those thing done is his career! The Hasek with the Wings wasn’t the same Hasek with Buffalo, I agree. But when Colorado vs Detroit series came down to game 6 & 7 Hasek shutdown the Avalanche

I don't think that you can match the goaltenders from different area's! Unfortunately I never got to saw some of those great goaltenders that are one the voting list above

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
Smith made a save, and th epuck went to a Rockies (if memory serves) forward who sent a pass back to the point, where he missed connection. The puck goes the length of the ice and into the empty net. Since Smith was the last Isle to touch the puck he was credited with the goal.

Rob Ramage was the player who scored in his own net on the Smith goal. That was the year Don Cherry coached the Rockies. Cherry described the play years later saying "Ramage decided to pass the puck back to the right defenceman, forgetting that he was the right defenceman."

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hall really suffers from a lack of respect. I'm assuming that those who voted for Brodeur are the ignoramuses who say "well, I can't vote for anyone I didn't see." It's called research. Try it. I'm guessing you'd say that Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield are the best boxers ever, because you never saw Ali, Liston or Smokin' Joe.

Who owns the record for most first team all-star selections among goalies? Hall. Most all-star selections among goalies? Hall. Won a Conn Smythe Trophy. And, according to SI, he owns the most unbreakable record in sports: the consecutive games played mark for goalies at 500-something.

I voted for Plante, and I'd rate Roy and Sawchuk ahead of Hall, too. But to vote for Tretiak or Brodeur ahead of Hall is foolishness.

BTW, I'd take Roy over Hasek. Better in the playoffs. Yes, Hasek beat Roy at the 1998 Olys and the 2002 Cup playoffs, but Roy was better in the playoffs. Four Cups and three Conn Smythes answer all my questions. (And yes, the Conn is a heck of a lot more important than a Hart or a Pearson. Just ask any team-oriented NHL player). Roy won a Cup as a rookie with a mediocre Montreal team in 1986, and the 1993 Habs weren't as good as their regular season record indicated. (I believe they had one of the worst final quarters ever among Stanley Cup champions). He was the missing piece for Colorado in 1996. He was a better leader than Hasek, too.

BTW, Roy did finished tied with Theodore for the Vezina in 2002. Roy was also the first-team all-star goaltender in 2002.

Big#D

In my opinion, if you look at the top ten, it would look something like this:

1&2 go to Sawchuk and Plante, with Hall being a close 3rd. They revolutionized the position in ways that no goalies have since.

4-8 go to Brodeur, Dryden, Hasek, Roy and Tretiak in a pick 'em fashion. You could make arguments one way or another for any of these players.

9&10 go to Fuhr and Smith for their contribution to the 80s dynasty teams. I would give an edge to Smith over Fuhr because his ability to play the puck but it is really pretty close.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Hall really suffers from a lack of respect. I'm assuming that those who voted for Brodeur are the ignoramuses who say "well, I can't vote for anyone I didn't see." It's called research. Try it. I'm guessing you'd say that Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield are the best boxers ever, because you never saw Ali, Liston or Smokin' Joe.

Who owns the record for most first team all-star selections among goalies? Hall. Most all-star selections among goalies? Hall. Won a Conn Smythe Trophy. And, according to SI, he owns the most unbreakable record in sports: the consecutive games played mark for goalies at 500-something.

I voted for Plante, and I'd rate Roy and Sawchuk ahead of Hall, too. But to vote for Tretiak or Brodeur ahead of Hall is foolishness.

BTW, I'd take Roy over Hasek. Better in the playoffs. Yes, Hasek beat Roy at the 1998 Olys and the 2002 Cup playoffs, but Roy was better in the playoffs. Four Cups and three Conn Smythes answer all my questions. (And yes, the Conn is a heck of a lot more important than a Hart or a Pearson. Just ask any team-oriented NHL player). Roy won a Cup as a rookie with a mediocre Montreal team in 1986, and the 1993 Habs weren't as good as their regular season record indicated. (I believe they had one of the worst final quarters ever among Stanley Cup champions). He was the missing piece for Colorado in 1996. He was a better leader than Hasek, too.

BTW, Roy did finished tied with Theodore for the Vezina in 2002. Roy was also the first-team all-star goaltender in 2002.
Thing is, it isn't a lack of respect to say Hall isn't the greatest of all time. This poll has proven one thing. When it comes to Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, Roy and Hasek, determining the best is like splitting hairs. They are all so close that it is simply a matter of opinion. there are valid arguments for all 5 of them. (Tretiak suffers from playing in a totally different league making it nigh impossible to accurately compair him.) And there are even more valid arguments as to why they are largely incomprable. If anything, I would say it's a five way tie, but the poll doesn't give that option, so I voted Hasek by a millimetre.

wildone26*

VanIslander said:
this makes no sense... why the sudden change?

It changed for my because of him being a backup in Ottawa this year to the #750 goalie of all time Ray Emery, in a year he led the league stats-wise early in the suggesting he was still close to his prime despite his age to boot. That dropped him from #1 to #12 in my list.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't really want to weigh the number of Vezinas,shutouts and all star selections. From era to era, I don't know how to compare. I'll go by the above plus the guy who when your team played him, you knew you could lose just because you couldn't get one by him.

Terry Sawchuck was in my father's opinion the greatest. He's 80 so he had his best years to judge by. I saw Sawchuck with Detroit in the 60's and honestly his cup run with Toronto in 67 was the only thing I'd say was noticeable in that decade.

Glenn Hall was the one guy who you had to score on early. He was the save maker of the 60's. That great offensive team Chicago had gave up scoring chances, and Hall was spectacular. I felt the exact same way about Hasek during his Buffalo years.

Patrick Roy's fans forget that though he rose to the occasion in 86 and 93, I don't believe anyone was calling him the game's best during that time. He had some sub par years and playoffs.

From what I read,esp. Red Fisher's comments, Plante has to be up there.

I say for today, shake up Hasek,Hall,Sawchuck and Plante's names in a hat and I won't argue. Roy,Parent,Dryden and Billy Smith don't take a back seat, and if we're all healthy enough to argue this in 3 years, Brodeur just may be the guy.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
doublejack said:
Head to head, Hasek came out more clutch than Roy. 2002 Conference finals, Detroit vs. Colorado. Hasek stole game 6 in Colorado thanks in part to Roy's "Statue of Liberty" pose that led to the game winning goal. Then back in Detroit, Roy was chased in a 7 - 0 game 7 blowout.
Roy had 1 bad game in the NHL playoffs? OH NO! He sucks!

I'm sick of everyone using that as an example as Roy sucking. He had 1 bad game, so effing what?

3 Record Conn Smythe's. Enough said.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
19nazzy said:
Roy had 1 bad game in the NHL playoffs? OH NO! He sucks!

I'm sick of everyone using that as an example as Roy sucking. He had 1 bad game, so effing what?

3 Record Conn Smythe's. Enough said.

A lot of Roy's reputation is based on his Conn Smyth performances (and rightly so), but he wasn't as CONSISTANTLY clutch throughout his career like Hasek was.

It's interesting to note that for someone called the greatest 'money goalie' of all time, Roy actually has a losing record in winner take all games (playoff game 7s and olympic elimination).

Plus, like someone already mentioned, Roy won 3 Vezinas in his first 7 years then never won it again after 1992 (when Hasek entered the league) In fact, he was never even named to the NHL second all-star team after '92.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Zine said:
It's interesting to note that for someone called the greatest 'money goalie' of all time, Roy actually has a losing record in winner take all games (playoff game 7s and olympic elimination).
Nolan Ryan has the most walks in MLB history but is still heralded for his strikeout ability.

You can argue facts if you want, my main point was just calling out how ridiculous I find it how everyone knocks Roy for 1 bad game that he had in the playoffs. :shakehead

habitue*

For me, it is impossible to give only one name. The game and equipment change so much over the years. You could pick an excellent one in every decade, or at least, for every 25 years.

For me, Terry Sawchuck (40's-50's), Bernie Parent (60's-70's), Patrick Roy (80's-90's), and Martin Brodeur are the best in the business. Hasek, Tretiak, Plante, Hall and Dryden deserves very honourable mentions.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
19nazzy said:
Nolan Ryan has the most walks in MLB history but is still heralded for his strikeout ability.

You can argue facts if you want, my main point was just calling out how ridiculous I find it how everyone knocks Roy for 1 bad game that he had in the playoffs. :shakehead
He had some sub par games/series for Mtl. The common thought seems to be that he was The Man from 86 on. Brian Hayward started playoff games during Roy's time in Mtl. They were close to being 1 and 1A for a time. He had series where the opposing goalie was just better,notably aginst Boston. He was the key player on the 86 and 93 cup teams, and a few of those games were legendary, but it's a mistake to believe that he carried a sub par team on his back. It doesn't take away from his overall perception, where he ranks pretty well comes down to the yardstick you choose, he's right up there, but he's not clearly ahead of these guys.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Either Brodeur or Hasek for sure. Fuhr is up there.

Can't agree with the votes for Patrick Wah. Guy was never anything special
esp when it came down to the olympics.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Patch101 said:
Guy was never anything special
Except for the fact he kept the Canadians in the Czech game that it even got to go to a shootout but whatever.

joe_shannon_1983*

Patrick Roy.

Sawchuk, Hasek, Plante, and Hall would be next on my list, in that order.

joe_shannon_1983*

Patch101 said:
Either Brodeur or Hasek for sure. Fuhr is up there.

Can't agree with the votes for Patrick Wah. Guy was never anything special
Roy was never anything special?

I guess you missed his 4 Stanley Cups, and 3 Conn Smythe Trophies then right?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
joe_shannon_1983 said:
Roy was never anything special?

I guess you missed his 4 Stanley Cups, and 3 Conn Smythe Trophies then right?
Oh come on, he didn't win an olympic gold, that means he's horrible.

/sarcasm

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
This was tougher than any of the forward/defenseman polls. I've watched Brodeur up close for his entire career, and Roy is obviously no slouch, but 103 shutouts is 103 shutouts. Therefore, Sawchuk gets my vote. If we are going to continue with the goalie polls, I say add Frank Brimsek. He was better than at least three of the choices in this poll.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Glenn Hall for me. I've only seen him 10-12 times but in those games I've never been more impressed with any other goalie. Everyone knows of him by the butterfly style but he had great arm speed too.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Neatoooooooooo! An all-time goalie thread.

kruezer said:
Is is just me, or are Hasek, Roy and Brodeur a complete recreation of Plante, Sawchuk and Hall?

It struck me lately, that both groups of guys came along during the same time and compare strangely well to each other, Plante and Hasek being the individualists who won Harts, Sawchuk and Roy being the money guys who were not known to be the nicest guys off the ice and Hall and Brodeur being the guys that came last of each group and had brilliant form and the ability to play a tonne of games.

Cool observation, and in many ways true. But I think they'd match up more like this talent/skill wise:

Hasek-Hall - The dominant type who would win games for their teams, because they had to. Buffalo and Chicago weren't exactly powerhouses of their day and each only have 1 Cup ring because of it. Hasek cleaned up on the Vezinas where Hall kept getting named first team all-star, which is equivalent seeing as the Vezina was the lowest GAA back then. Both broke away from their peers to create their own style regarding stopping the puck. While many acknowledge Hall's contributions to the game by inventing the butterfly, Hasek really impacted the position as well, just not as directly. Maybe the best goalies of their generation but get overlooked because of Cup wins. Durablity is really a huge difference here, but as a talent analysis I'd say they're similiar.

Roy-Sawchuk - Both winners, both clutch. 1-2 in all-time wins. They are both generally considered the 'best' of their era because of their ability to win. They both seem to have an extra gear that they can turn on where they are unbeatable. Roy I know this because I've seen it, and Sawchuk based solely on shutouts and reading about his brillance.

Broduer-Plante- Both winners, not in the sense they stole game but made the right saves at the right time while playing behind some very good teams. Plante and Brodeur both really played the puck remarkably in their respective eras and really had a huge impact on the team that they were on becasue of this. Plante won Vezinas and Brodeur won Jennings trophies. Not too many goals were scored on these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->