Greatest Goalie of All Time #4

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'd hardly qualify 11 votes with 18 hours to go as a big lead, but whatever.

First three polls went fairly close to what I expected. Roy wins the first one big. Sawchuk wins the second one. Plante takes No. 3.

The question was whether there'd be vote splits. One group was voting Plante/Sawchuk and to a lesser extent Hall. The other generally voted Hasek and Brodeur. Those who did vote Plante/Sawchuk tend to be regulars around these parts.

Sawchuk won No. 2 a little more convincingly than I though. Plante didn't have much of a vote split with Hall in No. 3, while there was a considerable split with Hasek and Brodeur.

Most of Sawchuk's support shifted to Plante. If most of Plante's support shifts to Hall, Hall will win, and Hasek will slide to No. 5, where he belongs.

In case you couldn't tell, I went with Hall. Add Battlin' Billy Smith.

Last edited:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
At least Brodeur/Hasek will split vote and the guy who deserve the vote here, Glenn Hall, wins it!

I hope so!
I actually am split between Hall and Hasek. I personally think that they are both better than Patrick Roy. Hasek has six Vezinas/1st All-Star Teams and two Hart Trophies.

I wouldn't vote for Martin Brodeur because he hasn't retired yet. When he does retire, he will likely have over 600 career wins.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
As much as it pains me to vote Hasek over Hall, when you include his Czech career, it isn't even all that close.

Hasek has 2 Harts, and was runner-up for a 3rd, plus 3 Czech. League Best Player awards to go with his 6 Vezinas and 5 Czech. Best Goalie awards.

He has 1 Cup, and an Olymipc Gold, and carried a so-so Buffalo team to the Conference Final and the Stanley Cup Final, which has to score about as well as Hall getting Chicago to the Final only three times in 10 years.

Ogopogo*

As much as it pains me to vote Hasek over Hall, when you include his Czech career, it isn't even all that close.

Hasek has 2 Harts, and was runner-up for a 3rd, plus 3 Czech. League Best Player awards to go with his 6 Vezinas and 5 Czech. Best Goalie awards.

He has 1 Cup, and an Olymipc Gold, and carried a so-so Buffalo team to the Conference Final and the Stanley Cup Final, which has to score about as well as Hall getting Chicago to the Final only three times in 10 years.

What do you think Hall would have done in the Czech league?

Hasek was the NHL's best 6 times. Hall was the NHL's best 7 times. Hall was also the NHL's second best 4 times. Hall has a Smythe, Hasek does not.

Hasek was great but, Hall would have dominated the Czech league as well.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
But to dominate the Czech. league for years, Hall would have to shorten his NHL career, so he wouldn't gain on Hasek that way.

3 of Hall's 1st team spots are earned in very close votes, while only 1 of Hasek's was a close vote. To go with Hasek's 2 Harts, he finished 2nd once, and 3rd three times. Hall finished 4th twice, and 5th twice. Best goalie 7 times, vs the best player twice, and the best goalie 6 times? Close, but edge to Hasek.

As for Hall's Conn Smythe, as good as he played, if St. Louis had faced any team from the East before the Final, he wouldn't have even been a canidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->