Greatest Goalie of All time #1

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How come everybody think that Orr's the best defender ever but the same arguments about greatness doesn't count for Hasek among goalies? Orr's career was short but very dominating and impressive. I also think he was the best ever. But nobody can deny that Hasek was the best goalie in the world for just as long as Orr was the best defender. And they both was the best by far. They both won Norris/Vezinas and the both won Harts. After Marios retirement Hasek was the most dominant hockeyplayer in the world until the Millenium. And he's still good, I think he came 2nd in SVS% last season.
So by your logic, every single person that thinks Orr was the best defenseman ever automatically thinks Hasek is the best goalie ever? I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Oh, I wasn't aware that there was a post season All Star Team. I'm curious, what year is that from, and how does the voting work? I know Tugnutt played exceptional during Pittsburgh's 2000 playoff run. Is that the year this voting is from?
When we say post-season all-star team, we are referring to the first and second all-star teams that are announced after each season.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
How come everybody think that Orr's the best defender ever but the same arguments about greatness doesn't count for Hasek among goalies? Orr's career was short but very dominating and impressive. I also think he was the best ever. But nobody can deny that Hasek was the best goalie in the world for just as long as Orr was the best defender. And they both was the best by far. They both won Norris/Vezinas and the both won Harts. After Marios retirement Hasek was the most dominant hockeyplayer in the world until the Millenium. And he's still good, I think he came 2nd in SVS% last season.
Well, Bill Durnan won six Vezinas in eight years, too. Granted, that was back when the Vezina was awarded to the goalie with the best GAA, but Durnan was also a first-team all-star in each of those six seasons. Didn't win the Hart, but he won two Cups.

Personally, I'll take Dryden's run of success over any other goalie in history. Six Cups in eight seasons, and a Conn Smythe. In his seven full seasons, he was a first team all-star five times and a second-teamer once. You can argue his results are reflective of the team in front of him, but remember this: the Habs didn't win in the year he took off, and after Dryden retired as champion in 1979, the Habs didn't win the Cup for another seven years.

You do raise an interesting comparison. It's just that Bobby Orr was that much better than any other defenceman who ever played the game. The things that Orr did, the level at which he played, nobody else could do. It doesn't hurt his case that Orr was magnificient in the playoffs, with two Conn Smythe Trophies.

Hasek? I think Hasek's case is hurt by the fact that he won only one Cup. He was great in the 1998 and 1999 playoffs, but was he as good of a playoff goaltender as Roy? Of course not. And more than any other position, goalies are judged based on playoff success. A lot of people aren't exactly enamoured with Hasek the human being, not just the troubles in Ottawa this past season, or Detroit in 2003-04, but also the problems in Buffalo in 1997.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Oh, I wasn't aware that there was a post season All Star Team. I'm curious, what year is that from, and how does the voting work? I know Tugnutt played exceptional during Pittsburgh's 2000 playoff run. Is that the year this voting is from?

These are from the 1999 postseason all-star team voting, which are conducted before the start of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->