Greatest Forwards of All Time #15

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Trottier won with 26 votes and Newsy Lalonde will be added next. I am going to vote for Clarke and add Frank Mahovlich.

#1 Gretzky(64.71%)
#2 Lemieux(63.77%)
#3 Howe(63.41%)
#4 Richard(31.58%)
#5 Beliveau(53.49%)
#6 Hull(28.81%)
#7 LaFleur(72.73% won tiebreaker)
#8 Esposito(34.88%)
#9 Morenz(23.81%)
#10 Messier(24.29%)
#11 Jagr(30.99%)
#12 Bossy(24.56%)
#13 Mikita(27.08%)
#14 Trottier(30.95%)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Another tough decision, this time with Clarke and Lindsay. If a lot of Trottier's support shifts to Clarke (which it should, as they're both strong all-round centres who played well in the clutch), then Clarke will win. If they split the vote, then Yzerman might sneak up the middle.

Canucksfan, I know we've asked this before, but are you still looking at a top 20? Or are you going to extend this one. (The number of voters in the last poll indicates it's still going strong).

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Voted Schmidt again. Probably a pointless vote but I was kinda pissed at myself for throwing my vote away last time. Add Bob Gainey, unless it's strictly offence in which case add the big M

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Evilo said:
Because he's done more?
How has Francis done more? They have the same number of Cups. They're both excellent leaders and fantastic all-round players. But Sakic has three first-team all-star selections, accomplished more in the first half of this decade than any other player, and has a Conn Smythe, a Pearson and a Hart Trophy to his credit.

As good as Sakic has been though, you have to add Mahovlich at this point. I think it should go Mahovlich, Geoffrion and then Sakic. The Big M is considered by many to be the No. 3 LW of all-time.

Voted for Clarke. One of the most feared all-round forwards of all-time. There's nothing he couldn't or wouldn't do to win. Likely the best leader of the last 30 years. There's no bloody way he should be out of the top 15.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
God Bless Canada said:
How has Francis done more? They have the same number of Cups. They're both excellent leaders and fantastic all-round players. But Sakic has three first-team all-star selections, accomplished more in the first half of this decade than any other player, and has a Conn Smythe, a Pearson and a Hart Trophy to his credit.

As good as Sakic has been though, you have to add Mahovlich at this point. I think it should go Mahovlich, Geoffrion and then Sakic. The Big M is considered by many to be the No. 3 LW of all-time.

Voted for Clarke. One of the most feared all-round forwards of all-time. There's nothing he couldn't or wouldn't do to win. Likely the best leader of the last 30 years. There's no bloody way he should be out of the top 15.
We went over this already in a previous thread. Francis was able to carry low profile teams to the finals.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Evilo said:
We went over this already in a previous thread. Francis was able to carry low profile teams to the finals.

You were wrong there as well. How many years was Francis a top 5 player ???

Sakic has been a considerably better playoff performer as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And how many years wasn't he a top 20 player over his 20 year career?
Possibly never.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Evilo said:
And how many years wasn't he a top 20 player over his 20 year career?
Possibly never.

And how many years has Sakic not been a top 20 player?

Anyway, I voted Clarke, and please add the big M.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
John Flyers Fan said:
He was out of the top 20 a lot more often than he was a top 20 player. He was a top 20 player for 6-8 seasons.
I disagree. Except if you only count points.
Which doesn't tell the whole story with Ron.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
JaymzB said:
And how many years has Sakic not been a top 20 player?

Anyway, I voted Clarke, and please add the big M.
As I said, Sakic has never taken a weak team far.
He was alone in Quebec, was a bottom feeder.
Now that Colorado has less of a powerhouse (and still it's a very good team on paper), he can't even put them in the playoffs.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Evilo said:
I disagree. Except if you only count points.
Which doesn't tell the whole story with Ron.

I wasn't just looking at points. Why don't you tell me which years you thought he wa a top 20, top 10 and top 5 player.

While I like Francis and he could play for my team any day of the week, he's just not at this level on the all-time list.

Another quick Sakic/Francis comparison

Times selected to play for Team Canada in a major best-on-best tourney:

Sakic - 5
Francis - 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad