Greatest Flyers by Jersey number

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
So every year for my birthday, my dad gets me a flyers jersey with the player having the number of what age I am turning. I just turned 27 a month ago and obviously that is hextall but it has become a fun thing to research every year for me and my collection is one of my most prized possesions. But I thought it would be a fun thread idea for people to list their favorite player to ever wear each number for the flyers. Now some numbers only have 1 player or none to use, some players have 2 numbers, some are easy picks like 16 or 88, but some have some pretty hard choices. If the idea is popular enough maybe i will start a poll series for the board to pick a player for each number if there is interest. Here is a site where you can look at all of the players that wore each number throughout the years. Flyers History - Roster By the Number or using google.

Without further ado, here is my list 1-99. if you know a player with a number where I have none feel free to correct.

1-Bernie Parent
2- Mark Howe
3- Joe Watson
4- Barry Ashbee
5- Reggie Leach
6- Travis Sanheim
7- Bill Barber
8 - Mark Recchi
9- Ivan Provorov
10- John Leclaire
11- Travis Konecny
12- Simon Gagne
13- Dan Carcillo
14- Sean Couturier
15- Bill Clement
16- Bobby Clarke
17- Rod Brindamour
18- Mike Richards
19- Scott Hartnell
20- Chris Pronger
21- Peter Forsberg
22- Rick Tocchet
23- Petr Svoboda
24- Sami Kapanen
25- Keith Primeau
26- Ruslan Fedotenko
27- Ron Hextall
28- Claude Giroux
29- Todd Fedoruk
30- Bernie Parent
31- Pelle Lindbergh
32- Dave Brown
33- Brian Boucher
34- Dave Poulin
35- Steve Mason
36- Bobby Clarke
37- Eric Desjardins
38- Frank Bathe
39- Marty Murray
40- Vaclav Prospal
41- Andrej Meszaros
42- Josef Meranek
43- Marty Biron
44- Kimmo Timonen
45- Jody Shelly
46- Jon Kalinski
47- Eric Wellwood
48- Danny Briere
49- Michael Leighton
50- Sam Morin
51- Val Filpulla
52- Nick Cousins
53- Shayne Gostisbehere
54- Brian Wesenberg
55- Chris Gratton
56- Claude Giroux
57- Derek Mathers
58- Taylor Leier
59- Mark Friedman
60- Nate Raduns
61- Mike York
62- Jiri Latal
63- German Rubstov
64- Nolan Patrick(assigned in rookie camp)
65- Nate Guenin
66- Yanik Dupre
67- Scott Munroe
68- Jaromir Jagr
69- No player found
70- Danick Martel
71- No player found
72- Robb Zepp
73- Maxim Lamarche
74- Mike Vecchione
75- Hal Gill
76- Chris Vande Velde
77- Paul Coffey
78- P.E. Bellamare
79- Ivan Provorov
80- Travis Konecny
81- Carsen Twarynski
82- Evgeni Medvedev
83- none
84-none
85- none
86- none
87- donald brashear5
88- Eric lindros
89- Sam gagner
90- none
91- none
92- rick Tocchet
93- jake voracek
94- none
95- none
96- none
97- Jeremy roenick
98- none
99- none

Reactions: Rebels57

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Are you looking for the "greatest" or a personal favorite by number?

Also, are you including a player's entire career or what he achieved only with that specific jersey number?

Examples:
  • Dave Brown's main number was 21. Murray Craven is worthy of the best #32.
  • Joe Watson was #14 for much of his career, not #3. Behn Wilson would edge out Doug Crossman (upon initial thought) for best #3.
  • Reggie Leach vs. Ron Hextall for top #27 is among the best debates for the topic. #5 just may be Kim Johnsson.
  • Another would be Jim Watson and Chris Pronger for #20. The better NHL player is obvious but the better Flyer is something else.
  • Bobby Clarke wore #36 for two games due to his #16 jersey being stolen from the arena in Winnipeg.
  • I guess you have #6 for a reason but that would be Moose Dupont in terms of what was accomplished.

Last edited:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Are you looking for the "greatest" or a personal favorite by number?

Also, are you including a player's entire career or what he achieved only with that specific jersey number?

Examples:
  • Dave Brown's main number was 21. Murray Craven is worthy of the best #32.
  • Joe Watson was #14 for much of his career, not #3. Behn Wilson would edge out Doug Crossman (upon initial thought) for best #3.
  • Reggie Leach vs. Ron Hextall for top #27 is among the best debates for the topic. #5 just may be Kim Johnsson.
  • Another would be Jim Watson and Chris Pronger for #20. The better NHL player is obvious but the better Flyer is something else.
  • Bobby Clarke wore #36 for two games due to his #16 jersey being stolen from the arena in Winnipeg.
  • I guess you have #6 for a reason but that would be Moose Dupont in terms of what was accomplished.
Yeah, my first thought was Reggie Leach wore #27 - so I guess this list is if a player ever wore the number, then Reggie Leach would surely be the best #5. I would also go with Andre Dupont for #6. It would really be hard to unseat him.
Also, there should be no question #26 would be Brian Propp, one of the greatest Flyers ever.
I would also put Dave Poulin at #20, but I am partial to the teams from the 80s.

Thanks for the list!

Reactions: Goatee220

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yeah, my first thought was Reggie Leach wore #27 - so I guess this list is if a player ever wore the number, then Reggie Leach would surely be the best #5. I would also go with Andre Dupont for #6. It would really be hard to unseat him.
Also, there should be no question #26 would be Brian Propp, one of the greatest Flyers ever.
I would also put Dave Poulin at #20, but I am partial to the teams from the 80s.

Thanks for the list!

Jim Watson vs. Dave Poulin is another good debate (#20) and I wouldn't be opposed to either preference. I compared Watson to Pronger only because both were defensemen.

#15 has rarely generated any productive players. That seems to be a black hole with some scant exceptions.

As far as #26, that confirmed to me the original list is favorite players and not best players.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Going by the “what did he accomplish” criteria, I probably wouldn’t give #30 to Parent. He wasn’t great yet, there’s a reason they traded him and kept Favell. I might go with Nitty for #30. I’d definitely go with MacLeish for #19 over Hartnell.

Reactions: Goatee220

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Going by the “what did he accomplish” criteria, I probably wouldn’t give #30 to Parent. He wasn’t great yet, there’s a reason they traded him and kept Favell. I might go with Nitty for #30. I’d definitely go with MacLeish for #19 over Hartnell.

While I agree and wouldn't give Bernie the #30 with the #1, I'd suggest that they probably traded him rather than Favell because Favell may not have netted them MacLeish in return as Parent did.

Speaking of MacLeish, I agree that he should get #19 over Hartnell.

FWIW... here is a link to a Bleached Report article on the Thread Topic:

Philadelphia Flyers: Best Players in History by Number

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
While I agree and wouldn't give Bernie the #30 with the #1, I'd suggest that they probably traded him rather than Favell because Favell may not have netted them MacLeish in return as Parent did.

Speaking of MacLeish, I agree that he should get #19 over Hartnell.

FWIW... here is a link to a Bleached Report article on the Thread Topic:

Philadelphia Flyers: Best Players in History by Number

You may be right about the trade value, but my recollections of the time were that Favell was better than Bernie at that point. He was certainly capable of spectacular saves, but erratic. Bernie didn’t really become the goalie we remember until he went to Toronto and worked with Plante. I was pretty young and new to hockey though, so who knows.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
You may be right about the trade value, but my recollections of the time were that Favell was better than Bernie at that point. He was certainly capable of spectacular saves, but erratic. Bernie didn’t really become the goalie we remember until he went to Toronto and worked with Plante. I was pretty young and new to hockey though, so who knows.

Looking at their stats... Bernie had the better ones and played the bulk of the Games.

My memory is that Doug gained the hearts of the Fans when he backstopped the first Flyers PlayOff win vs Minny and kept them in it against the Habs while having a noticeably aching back... he had a good personality and a great painted mask.

Philly has a history of championing their backup Goalies... and supported him after Bernie was traded.

Parent may have learned in Toronto but had much similar stats as he had in Philly in the brief time he played there.

I believe Toronto wanted him and was willing to trade Walton to obtain him... Boston wanted Walton and was willing to trade their promising Prospect for the Veteran's help... Flyers needed a young Offensive Center and trusted in Favell enough to pull the trigger... both Parent and Favell were capable enough in their eyes.

As we all know Parent played insanely great upon his return after being screwed by the WHA and the Leafs traded back his rights for Favell.

Parent took Favell's number 1 and he and MacLeish were instrumental in bringing two Cups... along with Clarke and led by Shero, of course.

...Ahhh ...I loved that little trip down Memory Lane.

Last edited:

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I’d name Lupul for #15 because of that goal.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
And probably Chris Therien, over 700 games for Flyers, deserves #6.

#27 is a real quandary

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Looking at their stats... Bernie had the better ones and played the bulk of the Games.

My memory is that Doug gained the hearts of the Fans when he backstopped the first Flyers PlayOff win vs Minny and kept them in it against the Habs while having a noticeably aching back... he had a good personality and a great painted mask.

Philly has a history of championing their backup Goalies... and supported him after Bernie was traded.

Parent may have learned in Toronto but had much similar stats as he had in Philly in the brief time he played there.

I believe Toronto wanted him and was willing to trade Walton to obtain him... Boston wanted Walton and was willing to trade their promising Prospect for the Veteran's help... Flyers needed a young Offensive Center and trusted in Favell enough to pull the trigger... both Parent and Favell were capable enough in their eyes.

As we all know Parent played insanely great upon his return after being screwed by the WHA and the Leafs traded back his rights for Favell.

Parent took Favell's number 1 and he and MacLeish were instrumental in bringing two Cups... along with Clarke and led by Shero, of course.

...Ahhh ...I loved that little trip down Memory Lane.

Favell was probably even more popular when he was playing indoor lacrosse for the Wings. :laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Favell was probably even more popular when he was playing indoor lacrosse for the Wings. :laugh:

Yeah... I only recently was reminded of that... I had forgotten. :laugh:

Doug had a great personality and smile... easy to cheer on... and a real Charcter among a Roster full of crazy characters.

I liked Favell after that last PostSeason here... remember that for a while upon reacquiring Bernie they would only say "for future consideration"... I was so happy thinking we had both Bernie and Doug again... and how great the Flyers would be. Heartbreaking to later find out Favell was the FC.

As it turned out Favell's back never allowed him to regain his game... and the Flyers would do just fine with Taylor and then Keith Allen brought in Wayne Stephanson who was better than a mere backup IMO.

That was in the days when Goaltending was actually considered more than an afterthought in the Organization. <sigh>

I think I've taken us just a tad off Topic. Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad