Greatest Defensive/Offensive line of all time

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
If you could combine any 3 players from any eras to create THE greatest shut down line of all time, who would it be?

The ones I know for sure from personally seeing myself are....

- Pavel Datsyuk - Jere Lehtonen

and then I never saw him play myself, but Bob Gainey is legendary for being arguably one of the greatest defensive forwards n the game. so...

Bob Gainery - Pavel Datsyk - Jere Lehtonen

impossible to score on these three together.

and...

If you could combine any 3 players from any eras to create THE greatest scoring line of all time, who would it be?

Really had to put this list together with out Lemeuix, but going on what should be amazing chemistery

Ovechkin - Greztky - Bure

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
At left wing for sure Gainey. Datsyuk in the middle is pretty good too. On right wing I would put Henri Richard in there. I know he isn't a RW but he has a right shot and I like the idea of him on that side. You have three players who are all excellent skaters and while none are overly physical none of them need that type of game to excel.

Offensively is a tougher one. I don't care much for the Ovechkin-Gretzky-Bure scenario that you have and here's why. Gretzky was a puck carrier, he made the plays. Bure always wanted the puck to, he wanted to have the puck on his stick all the time from end to end. Ovechkin is a lot like Bure. He wants the puck constantly. He wants to rush with the puck. I just don't see Gretzky succeeding with these guys like we think he would. The Bure/Gretzky has been discussed here often and there is a strong feeling that he would never have been a good fit with him.

So....................I'll go out on a limb here.

Lemieux-Gretzky-Brett Hull

Okay so why do I do this? First of all, while Gretzky and Lemieux have the same type of style (likes to carry the puck, great playmakers, supreme scorers) we have seen the success they have together in the 1987 Canada Cup. Lemieux you get the feeling would be content with Gretzky hitting him for some passes. He'd be the trigger man on that line for sure. He's smart enough to find the holes for a breakaway pass from Gretzky and he's got the best 1-on-1 talent we've ever seen.

Hull is not like the other two. He doesn't carry the puck very often and doesn't have the talent to hold onto it like the others. But he's a guy who knows how to get in the open. When the other team is bumping into themselves trying to contain the puck possession game that Gretzky and Lemieux employ we'd see Hull sneaking into open areas waiting for a one-time pass (which we know he'd get).

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
It was not the regular line (every coach doing this would be insane)...
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hossa
Uhm, looks good. During that season were rumors that all of them should be Selke nominees.

FilthyNote*

Going with a REAL vote here. Something that actually happened.

I am a little bias but the Pronger / MacInnis line was one of the best ever in the history of the NHL.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
In NHL 94, the Lemieux-Gretsky-Hull line that I made at the time was deadly as hell, the best offensive line of all time must have the Lemieux-Gretsky combo (imagine both in their absolute prime, 1987 was not far from that).

And Hull is an obvious choice for a sniper, but you can go from a physical presence like Howe, Lindros or someone else.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
In NHL 94, the Lemieux-Gretsky-Hull line that I made at the time was deadly as hell, the best offensive line of all time must have the Lemieux-Gretsky combo (imagine both in their absolute prime, 1987 was not far from that).

And Hull is an obvious choice for a sniper, but you can go from a physical presence like Howe, Lindros or someone else.
Lemieux - Gretsky - Gretzky :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->