Greatest Defenceman of All Time #8

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Voted Clancy - gotta have a leprechaun. One of the greats, both as a player and afterwards. Possibly the best storyteller the game has produced. Don't think anyone ever loved the game more than he did.

Add Jean-Claude Tremblay

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
After this season, Lidstrom will likely have 4 Norris Trophies and counting and a Conn Smythe. The guys you mention have 5 combined and zero Conn Smythes. Those guys are all great and it's a arguable who was the best of them, but it's kind of hard to overlook those facts.

Lidstrom is a great player, no doubt about that, but I think he's benefited by the lack of other premiere defenseman in his age group.

Defenseman born 1948-62 (Orr-Chelios)

Orr - 48
Park - 48
Lapointe - 48
Robinson - 51
Salming - 51
Potvin - 53
Howe - 55
Carlyle - 56
Wilson - 57
Langway - 57
Fetisov - 58
Bourque - 60
Coffey - 61
Murphy - 61

Defenseman born the 7 years before and after Lidstrom (63-77)

MacInnis - 63
Stevens - 64
Housely - 64
Leetch - 68
Desjardins - 69
Blake - 69
Lidstrom - 70
Zubov - 70
Foote - 71
D. Hatcher - 72
Neidermayer - 73
Gonchar - 74
Pronger - 74
Redden - 77

The 1970's were a very poor decade for producing defenseman. Lidstrom is a lock Hall of Famer, but other than him only Niedermayer and Pronger have legit chances to make be inducted, and they certainly aren't locks.

Part of the problem was defenseman drafted is here are the defenseman selected in the top 6 from 1985 - 1995

C. Wolanin - 3
D. Murzyn - 5
Z. Zalapski - 4
S. Andersen - 5
G. Wesley - 3
W. McBean - 4
C. Joseph - 5
C. Leschyshyn - 3
A. Bennett - 6
S. Neidermayer - 3
S. Lachance - 4
R. Hamrlik - 1
M. Rathje - 3
D. Kasparitis - 5
C. Pronger - 2
E. Jovanovski - 1
O. Tverdovsky - 2
B. Berard - 1
W. Redden - 2
A. Berg - 3

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
jumptheshark said:
how is lidstrom beating coffey and why is coffey so far down the list

Orr, Harvey, Coffey and Bourque reinvented how the game was played for a defencemen
By being a better defenseman?

Coffey took the position somewhere it really shouldn't be. It worked with the players that surrounded him and the state of the league at the time, but being a 4th forward is very rarely glowing praise for a defenseman.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
norrisnick said:
By being a better defenseman?

Coffey took the position somewhere it really shouldn't be. It worked with the players that surrounded him and the state of the league at the time, but being a 4th forward is very rarely glowing praise for a defenseman.

thats why the norris winner is almost always the d-man that puts up the most points

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
ArchieIsGod said:
thats why the norris winner is almost always the d-man that puts up the most points

Actually it isn't. In the 70's, yes there was that tendency, but since then it sometimes has, but not "almost always", and even if the top offensive guy tended to win in the 70's, those guys were also tremendous defensive players as well. There has been more a tendency to tremendous all around play. Coffey and Langway (for opposite reason Coffey won) are the exceptions, not the rule.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
jumptheshark said:
how is lidstrom beating coffey and why is coffey so far down the list

Orr, Harvey, Coffey and Bourque reinvented how the game was played for a defencemen

Because there are alot of Coffey haters here. I think he should have been 6, but I am not even sure he'll get 9th. My guess is alot of the people infatuated with Lidstrom will switch over to Chelios.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kovy1335 said:
Because there are alot of Coffey haters here. I think he should have been 6, but I am not even sure he'll get 9th. My guess is alot of the people infatuated with Lidstrom will switch over to Chelios.
Guess why they hate Coffey? Go on guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad