Greatest Cup final ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
To me there are a few choices. And none of these are being a Homer I'm just going by on the entertainment of Hockey that was played.

1971 Mtl/Chi - Have to say this is one of the Greatest ever. Gone 7 games, Habs win after Henri Richard pops two goals in the last period to win 3-2. Poor Hawks, they were up 2-0 in games and then 2-0 in Game 7 before Lemaire let a dipping shot form centre go in past Esposito.

1987 Edm/Phi - Got to say this is right up there as my favourite. If you watch Game 7 of that series you'd be shocked at how wide open it is. Ron Hextall played the game of his life and still lost 3-1. It was very tight and very tense until Glenn Anderson scored with three minutes left in Game 7.

2004 TB/Cgy - This was the best final I've seen in a long time. Game 5 Iginla loses his helmet but still gets the shot off and Saprykin pops the OT winner. Clagary goes home with a 3-2 lead and then that game goes into OT. A lot happened in that game, the controversial goal by Gelinas, then the OT winner by St. Louis. Then in Game 7 a 2-1 win for TB. But who can forget Khabibulin's save on Leopold late in the game to preserve the Cup.

1994 Van/NYR - No one can forget this one. Vancouver wins in OT in Game 1 seconds after Leetch hits the post, then New York wins the next three followed by that wacky Game 5 which Vancouver wins 6-3. On to Game seven and all that separated them was a post hit by Lafayette. Rangers win!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Big Phil said:
1994 Van/NYR - No one can forget this one. Vancouver wins in OT in Game 1 seconds after Leetch hits the post, then New York wins the next three followed by that wacky Game 5 which Vancouver wins 6-3. On to Game seven and all that separated them was a post hit by Lafayette. Rangers win!
Captain Kirk made 50 + saves in game one, Canucks continued their season- and postseason-long excellence in the comeback role (played well only when trailing), pushing it to a deciding game seven, where Linden scores twice and then they hit the post! OMFG. Losing by a goal.

Amazingly close.

Classic.

Ogopogo*

1987. Being an Oilers fan, this one had to be the best. Also, it was the first game 7 of a final in 16 years so, the anticipation of this game was HUGE. The game lived up to the hype, too.

Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall has never been louder than when Glenn Anderson scored the 3-1 goal with under 10 minutes to go.

Ogopogo*

Big Phil said:
To me there are a few choices. And none of these are being a Homer I'm just going by on the entertainment of Hockey that was played.

1971 Mtl/Chi - Have to say this is one of the Greatest ever. Gone 7 games, Habs win after Henri Richard pops two goals in the last period to win 3-2. Poor Hawks, they were up 2-0 in games and then 2-0 in Game 7 before Lemaire let a dipping shot form centre go in past Esposito.

1987 Edm/Phi - Got to say this is right up there as my favourite. If you watch Game 7 of that series you'd be shocked at how wide open it is. Ron Hextall played the game of his life and still lost 3-1. It was very tight and very tense until Glenn Anderson scored with three minutes left in Game 7.

2004 TB/Cgy - This was the best final I've seen in a long time. Game 5 Iginla loses his helmet but still gets the shot off and Saprykin pops the OT winner. Clagary goes home with a 3-2 lead and then that game goes into OT. A lot happened in that game, the controversial goal by Gelinas, then the OT winner by St. Louis. Then in Game 7 a 2-1 win for TB. But who can forget Khabibulin's save on Leopold late in the game to preserve the Cup.

What about Anaheim vs New Jersey 2003? :biglaugh:

I couldn't even watch the first six games of that snoozer. I watched game 7 out of morbid curiosity that the Ducks might actually win it.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Big Phil said:

Those are four solid choices, though I must admit to being a mere lad in his pjs staying up to watch that '71 series (on CBS in the States).

Was at Game 7 of the '94 finals. Electric.

And good for you for acknowledging the Flames/Lightning '04 Finals as a superb series. It's in vogue, of course, to rip anything having to do with the current brand of NHL hockey. And, unbelievably, there were actually some genius HF posters at the time who were ripping the series for being boring. :shakehead

Regardless, it was superb hockey.

blamebettman*

most of the cup finals over the past 30 years or so have been clunkers, even 7 game series like devs/avs, devs/ducks, flames/lightning have been just terrible hockey.

Devils-Stars (6 games, but plenty of OT) and Rangers/Canucks in 1994 stand out as some of the best cup finals hockey ever. But unfortunately the finals have been tainted with sweeps. We had 4 consecutive sweeps between 1995 and 1998! 1988 was a sweep, 1992 was a sweep. The best hockey is played before the cup finals.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No question that the '04 final was outstanding. I think it could be argued that the lockout hurt even more BECAUSE of what Tampa Bay and Calgary offered us fans last spring. Having said that, nothing beats the '94 final for me.

In terms of drama, it had it. In terms of unpredictability, it had it. In terms of pure skill, it had it. In terms of sheer excitement from the style of play, it had it.

Simply put, the 1994 final had it all.

Unless, of course, you're an Islanders fan.

Ogopogo*

I loved the '94 final because Messier won. I hated it because I had to see Trevor Linden all the time.

Living in BC, I can honestly say: THANK GOD THE RANGERS WON

Canuck fans are annoying as hell with a losing team, I couldn't imagine them with a team that won it all. I would probably puke. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I thought the Buffalo-Dallas series was quite intense and seemed headed for a game 7 until a non-goal in OT of game 6 ended it all.

It almost became a classic. Instead it became a low point in NHL history.

Ogopogo said:
Canuck fans are annoying as hell with a losing team, I couldn't imagine them with a team that won it all. I would probably puke. ;)
Then you'd probably gut yourself if Leaf fans ever got their wish!

Ogopogo*

VanIslander said:
I thought the Buffalo-Dallas series was quite intense and seemed headed for a game 7 until a non-goal in OT of game 6 ended it all.

It almost became a classic. Instead it became a low point in NHL history.

Then you'd probably gut yourself if Leaf fans ever got their wish!

Yes, I would. ;)

Rather Gingerly 1*

Mine was the '71 Chi/Habs series. The Boston series that year was great also

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
1987. Being an Oilers fan, this one had to be the best. Also, it was the first game 7 of a final in 16 years so, the anticipation of this game was HUGE. The game lived up to the hype, too.

Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall has never been louder than when Glenn Anderson scored the 3-1 goal with under 10 minutes to go.

Good call!

I wasn't at Northlands to see it but I saw it on TV and I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time. It definitely could've gone either way (I'm just glad it went the Oilers way. ;) ). Hextall was just unbelievable in that game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ogopogo said:
What about Anaheim vs New Jersey 2003? :biglaugh:

I couldn't even watch the first six games of that snoozer. I watched game 7 out of morbid curiosity that the Ducks might actually win it.

C'on who can forget the huge hit by Stevens on Kayria...then Karyria comes out to RETURN to the game...shortly after coming back he flys down the left wing and rips a huge slapshot over the left shoulder of Marty....i'll never forget that. I was going crazy!!

And lets not forget MARTYS big fluke goal he gave up when the puck went under his stick and right into the net. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
C'on who can forget the huge hit by Stevens on Kayria...then Karyria comes out to RETURN to the game...shortly after coming back he flys down the left wing and rips a huge slapshot over the left shoulder of Marty....i'll never forget that. I was going crazy!!

And lets not forget MARTYS big fluke goal he gave up when the puck went under his stick and right into the net. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I don't really recall all that stuff :D

But I do remember Brodeur's incredible 1.65 GAA during that playoffs and his record setting 7 shutouts and his outstanding .934 save percentage. ;)

Funny thing was Brodeur and Giguere had very simuliar numbers (Giguere did have an awesome .945 Save%, but he didn't play all that well in the finals) when the 03 Cup was finally over, but Giguere received all the credit........I understand though, it is just expected from Marty.

Giguere 21 1407 15 6 38 1.62 697 0.945 5

Brodeur 24 1491 16 8 41 1.65 622 0.934 7

But back to the main topic......The best finals I've ever seen were

Edmonton and NY Islanders 1984

Montreal and Galgary 1986

Philly and Edmonton in 1987

Montreal and LA in 1993

New Jersey and Dallas 2000

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
JimEIV said:
I don't really recall all that stuff :D

But I do remember Brodeur's incredible 1.65 GAA during that playoffs and his record setting 7 shutouts and his outstanding .934 save percentage. ;)
The only thing really interesting about that entire playoffs was Anaheim's complete and utter manhandling of Minny in the conference finals (you know, having to think about the fact that Anaheim and Minnesota actually made the conference finals makes my head explode), and the fact that my heart was in my throat for most of that Dallas-Anaheim marathon game (even though I'm not a huge fan of either team).

My money would have to be on the 94 series. That was great. I also liked 04 as well. Say what you will, TB and Calgary played exciting hockey when they wanted to.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Nemesis said:
...the fact that Anaheim and Minnesota actually made the conference finals makes my head explode)
Mine too.

And I still can't get over a Flames-Lightning final. The only 2 teams of the 16 in the postseason that I never care to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad