WJC: Greatest Collapse or Greatest Comeback

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
It depends what players.
KHL players won the WC 2009.
On the other hand the way Ovechkin and Semin sucked in WC 2010 against the Czechs can't be described.
The only person who bailed those NHLers out was Datsyuk.

It is all about the attitude, if it is missing, it doesn't really matter which league they are playing in.

Uhh, one would hardly even know there was a WC2010. I mean, who the hell cares about a WC in an Olympic year. They used to not hold one and they should seriously go back to that rule. I don't blame the players for not showing up. Except maybe the KHL players cared, because they sucked so bad against top NHL competition at the Olympics. But whatever...

If you are seriously suggesting that the KHL is on par or better than what you have in the NHL you had better think of getting off the crack.

And if you didn't know already it is the NHLPA that dictates the participation of NHL players in the Olympics, not the IIHF, not the KHL, not the RHF, and if they don't get every little rule they want there simply won't be NHL players there. Don't kid yourself. None of the stars in this league want to go over there and have a Cherapanov done to them.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Bryzgalov was good in net, but the goals scored were Saprykin and Radulov - KHL players.

Ovechkin and Semin weren't particularly effective in neither Olympics nor WC2010. In WC2010 the coach shouldn't have invited them at all and instead made room for KHL players who know how to backcheck and play defense.
Defensive game is totally alien to Ovechkin that's why he is always a liability on the ice when the other team has determined backcheckers and good passers.

Moreover, NHL players are used to play under pressure all the time, especially during Stanley Cup runs, what happened in the Olympics?
The argument could be that Bykov is not a good coach and couldn't find his own strategy but dissing KHL players is just stupid - many of them more than stood up for the challenge, and when you have such warriors as Radulov (Saprykin), now Mozyakin good things are going to happen

Calm down, Sovietskis. Now that all your top players are in the NHL, they're no good any more and only the leftovers and NHL rejects in the KHL are any good? Laughable. Ovechkin a defensive liability with a plus 45 at even strength in the Olympic year? Laughable. Oh, I get it: Ovechkin was only ever any good when he played for Dynamo and on World Junior, World Cup and Olympic teams for Russia before he started playing in the NHL.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I'm not talking about anything other than hockey-related issues when it comes to Canada. IMO, every country - more or less- has its own negatively "diagnosed" feature. When it comes to foreign policies, we all know the US is on the front line. And Americans tend to behold themselves as Goliath in many ways (and I would assume it's the same within the sport industry, for example regarding Basketball). The Swedish parliament, and many of the people in the country, believe their "humane" view on society and solidarity is the best in the world. China usually propagate for their "superior" gymnastics and Olympic contributions. When it comes to soccer, some nations are more cocky than others; for instance, Italy, Brazil, Netherlands and so on. And when it comes to hockey - the best sport in the world - Canada happens to be the cocky and "We are the best"-kind of nation, and upon which the one other nations look with a bit of disrespect and dislike.

A lot of sentences just to say this: You just happen to be the peeve in terms of hockey competition, just as Brazil, Italy etc is within soccer; and America is considered worldwide.

The problem, I suppose, is that you have so many fans that you will always - no matter what - be the "cockiest" nation, simply because you have more noticeable fans screaming, acting disrespectful etc. Just look at the gold medal game (or any game for that matter) - 80 percent were Canadians. And although I did see a handful respectable fans, you can't fail to take notice to the ones who do act insulting and ban-mannered. Although not being a majority, they give you a bad reputation. But that's not really the issue, they're just fans. However, the other problem is your media. I do know you don't agree with me on this one, but the hockey establishment with its Canadian "moguls" and media icons, announcers, radio hosts etc, often act with a sense of overconfidence, bragging, "big-head"- and know-it-all attitude when it comes to other teams and their players.

You can't help to notice how self-aggrandized they seem. And of course other countries have this sort of "problem" as well - but it is more prevailing within the Canadian hockey. As always, IMO! :D

Your final sentence was the only one that made sense in this post. Here's what I submit:

It is not Hockey Canada and Canadians that are responsible for your conspiracy theories and hateful rhetoric, it is your own inferiority complex.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Sergei DRW
If the khl is so great then why did they have such a awful olympics a team full of khl players had aginst teams full of nhl players.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Radulov and Saprykin both played in NHL. But nevermind that: Canadians had advantage in that game, and only Bryz's heroics gave Russia the gold.

If you want to go only with KHLers, I suggest you revisit the 90s and early 00s. Remember how much success Russia had the those WCs?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Sergei DRW
If the khl is so great then why did they have such a awful olympics a team full of khl players had aginst teams full of nhl players.

To be fair, Russia wasn't the only team with KHLers. Slovakia had just as many as Russia and knocked out NHL-heavy Sweden and came within an inch of taking Canada to overtime.

Of course Russia's whole team sucked vs Canada, but, game in-out, it was KHL's ZZM line that was Russia's most consistent.....AND probably would have fared better vs Canada had Zinoviev not been injured.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
If you want to go only with KHLers, I suggest you revisit the 90s and early 00s. Remember how much success Russia had the those WCs?
The worst result they had was in 2000 with a team full of "NHL stars".

They fared much better in 02 with hardly any NHLer in the team.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
They fared much better in 02 with hardly any NHLer in the team.

If you play "five man back" and ride a hot goalie, you certainly have a chance. Switzerland and Czechia-2010 did just that. Any takers? :)

In Vancouver ZZM line was consistent, but hardly the difference-makers. After Zinoviev's injury, Bykov should have taken him off the squad. And I will never forget Zaripov vs. Canada, dropping his stick after a hard pass. It was truly painful to watch.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Calm down, Sovietskis. Now that all your top players are in the NHL, they're no good any more and only the leftovers and NHL rejects in the KHL are any good? Laughable. Ovechkin a defensive liability with a plus 45 at even strength in the Olympic year? Laughable. Oh, I get it: Ovechkin was only ever any good when he played for Dynamo and on World Junior, World Cup and Olympic teams for Russia before he started playing in the NHL.

Hey, buddy, you might start acting like an adult, and conversate in a good manner, not like a neandarthal.
If you called me "sovietskis" in the bar, you would be already missing a few teeth.

My point is, there are good players in the KHL and they can make a good roster and actually beat Canada's finest, especially when Russian NHL players don't care.

Nov 26, 2010
NJ
I voted comeback. russia was all over the puck in the third period and developed more scoring chances than Canada, However Canada really did crap the bed

BlackAces*

Enormous collapse. Canada was focused way too much on the US and rode that enthusiasm for the first two periods, then went to sleep.

Ugh...

It happens, oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad