WJC: Greatest Collapse or Greatest Comeback

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Greatest comeback ever.

The gritty russkies never quit against the arrogant canadian primadonnas.

Ton of heart. Great, great comeback.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
It was definately a B team. We could still have used Duchene, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, (RNH should have been on the team as well as Pickard), Probably our most talented winger in Schwartz injured, goaltending issues etc..'while Russia all had their main elements.

Yeah. Russia could have used Burmistrov and many CHL players like Galiev, Yakupov, Namestnikov, Telegin...

Russian most talented players Tarasenko and Kuznetsov played with an injur in final...

Koss

If you just look at the gold medal game, I would call it a collapse by Team Canada. However, Russian had to come back from elimination late in the third three times this week. In my books, Team Russia are the come-back kids and one of the greatest stories ever at this tournament.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
:laugh:
Yeah. Russia could have used Burmistrov and many CHL players like Galiev, Yakupov, Namestnikov, Telegin...

Russian most talented players Tarasenko and Kuznetsov played with an injur in final...

So you think that a former 1st overall pick, a 2nd overall pick, a 3rd overall pick, a 7th overall pick, a 14th overall pick, a future top 3 pick would have less impact than these russian players? Some of these Canadian players are almost established in the NHL. This tourny wouldn't even be close with them on the team. And the best Russian players weren't injured at all for the gold medal game.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
So you think that a former 1st overall pick, a 2nd overall pick, a 3rd overall pick, a 7th overall pick, a 14th overall pick, a future top 3 pick would have less impact than these russian players?

No. You was arguing that Canada didn't use their best team. I told that Team Russia could have been also better in paper.

And the best Russian players weren't injured at all for the gold medal game.

Oh?

Kuznetsov going to shoulder surgery and coach told Tarasenko to go locker room because his ribs...

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
No. You was arguing that Canada didn't use their best team. I told that Team Russia could have been also better in paper.

Oh?

Kuznetsov going to shoulder surgery and coach told Tarasenko to go locker room because his ribs...

Well, Canada's roster could have been better with the players that i mentioned earlier, and also better than the Russian team with Galiev, Yakupov etc..

And Tarasenko and Kuznetsov's injuries didn't look that serious considering the way they were playing.. A huge part of the comeback... When you look at Schenn, he had a hard time skating.. Lol.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB

Oh my god, honest to god CHL players? No way.

No but seriously, calling it Canada's B-Team is a little much, it's degrading to the Russian players who won this legitimately, and it's a little insulting to the Canadian players who did play hard for at least some of the tournament and won Silver for it. Apart from a few sloppy periods in the prelims and this joke of a 3rd, they were really good almost (ALMOST) to a man.

That said, there's no denying that the team COULD have been better. I think people will be questioning our goalie selection for awhile to come. It seems every team that made it to the Medal rounds iced a better goalie than we did. And there's little room for denying that Canada's top U20 talent wasn't all on this team. It just wasn't. Skinner, Hall, Seguin, it could've been better. Courturier was disappointing too, for someone widely expected to take 1st.

I don't say any of this to diminish Russia's glory, they won it fair and square and as much as disgruntled Canadian fans would like to say otherwise, they faced down strong competition and came out on top.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Explain which goals should have been stopped (not requiring an amazing save)?

The first, and 5th come to mind.

The defense in the third was embarassing. The Russian players skated through our zone uncontentested.

Agreed. But there were no big saves in the third either. The whole team failed.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
depends on the perspective...

for Canada, greatest collapse, for Russia greatest comeback

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
A Comeback. Canada was still dangerous in the third, with plenty of chances to score a fourth goal and stop Russia's onslaught. No doubt, Canada began to look overwhelmed at times, but they were still in it and Russia's comback was fuelled as much by the heroics of Bobkov as by the entire team's raw determination to fight back.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Can't believe you people voting "collapse." Don't you remember Finland and Sweden? What, every team facing Russia is subject to a third period collapse? Give them some credit, for gods sakes.

I think most reasonable people are giving them credit... but a 3-0 lead going into the third and you give up 5 unanswered goals... that's a collapse no matter how you slice it. Especially when you knew that the russians had the belief in themselves to be able to get back into the game. Canada needed to come out harder and they didn't. When the russians scored the first goal Canada needed to respond and they didn't, when the russians scored the second goal it was imperitive that Canada answer back with at least a momentum changing shift but they didn't and that was when most people realized that Canada was done. Can't give a team with that much belief in their ability to comeback in a game that kind of momentum. The collapse was Canada pissing away the lead and not doing anything to grab momentum back. Every collapse is in part a comeback but in this case I will call it more of a collapse just based on the situation. Up 3-0 with 20 to play is not exactly a bad spot to be in.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Definitely comeback. Canada had a few chances, and while I don't think much of Bobkov in general, he had the answer. Canada tried hitting. Russians stood tall and gave it right back to them. Even Visentin stopped the breakaway and had a few other good saves, it wasn't like the goals were terrible ones. It may have been nice to see a few more superhuman clutch saves from him, but I'm not sure you could expect them. If the Canadian players didn't have much left in the tank, well what about the Russians going to 2 lines for stretches?

Easily, "greatest comeback".

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Comeback...Got outplayed by another country. Anytime you don't play for 60 minutes it means the other team played better for long enough to beat you. Well done russia.

iamcanadian23

Jan 2, 2011
Toronto
Mix of both.

Canada got away from the style of play that got them through the five periods prior, and didn't look to have near the desire the Russians did - so full credit to them, they did not give up and certainly have the offensive skill to turn a game around quickly!

Eaglepride*

There wouldn't have been a comeback if they didn't collapse as a TEAM (not only Visentin) in the third.

MontrealHabitant

Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
epic collapse of epic proportions, bruins worthy of last year's playoffs.

It's so bad that it might just fuel back the Quebec separatism ! :laugh:

Russians did good, but there is no way any teams (Finland-Sweden-USA-Canada-Russia) should drop a 3-0 lead in the 3RD PERIOD of the gold medal game after leading two periods. How can you CHOKE like that ? It's okay if Russia dominates the play - but how do you justify getting scored 5 times IN 20 MINUTES IN THE THIRD PERIOD OF A GOLD MEDAL GAME ?? HAHAHA

Epic collapse is epic.

That said, I feel bad for the canadians kids, the choker label will follow and they're officially part of history - pretty sure it wasn't the legacy they wanted :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
epic collapse of epic proportions, bruins worthy of last year's playoffs.

It's so bad that it might just fuel back the Quebec separatism ! :laugh:

Russians did good, but there is no way any teams (Finland-Sweden-USA-Canada-Russia) should drop a 3-0 lead in the 3RD PERIOD of the gold medal game after leading two periods. How can you CHOKE like that ? It's okay if Russia dominates the play - but how do you justify getting scored 5 times IN 20 MINUTES IN THE THIRD PERIOD OF A GOLD MEDAL GAME ?? HAHAHA

Epic collapse is epic.

That said, I feel bad for the canadians kids, the choker label will follow and they're officially part of history - pretty sure it wasn't the legacy they wanted :laugh:

5 goals on 10 shots.....that's sad:laugh:

Vladiator16*

Voted for “comebackâ€, but most likely its 50/50 sort of a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->